Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Some advice for a long Hong Kong layover please!

Some advice for a long Hong Kong layover please!

Old Jan 26, 20, 12:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC - Lowly blue
Originally Posted by dwugson View Post
Depending when your trip is I would avoid leaving the vicinity of the airport given the developing spread of the virus. It looks like even in Hong Kong many places are shut down to minimize the spread of the disease. It might be that a hotel is your safest best for your layover.
itís the 5th Feb. I honestly might stay at the airport considering how this is developing...
Old Jan 26, 20, 12:52 am

Programs: BA Bronze
Originally Posted by Lewis King View Post
itís the 5th Feb. I honestly might stay at the airport considering how this is developing...
The key is to avoid crowded places and those where infected people are more likely to be prevalent. If I were you I would take a taxi to the Big Buddha and wander around outdoors. Unlikely to be busy these days. Bring your own face mask and hand sanitizer as these are currently in short supply in HK and in many places out of stock. IMO better than spending 14 hours in a major transit hub where thousands of travellers fly in from the mainland every day (and use lounges too). Others may disagree.
Old Jan 26, 20, 1:35 am

If you can pack a pair of comfortable shoes I love going for a hike in HK and weather in February isnít too bad. Dragonís Back on the island or Lion Rock which is a 30 min taxi from the airport. Would help recover from the inactivity of a long flight 🥾
lcylocal likes this.
Old Feb 2, 20, 3:37 pm

I'm in a vaguely similar situation except for arriving at 1500 for the 2345 departure on BA (in F if it makes any difference). The incoming is on HK Express and I don't expect to be interlined so I think I will need to clear immigration, collect bags and go land side.

The BA page says: "You may check-in online for this flight and if you have baggage, please take this to the Bag Drop desk J25-27, in Island J"

When does bag drop open? I presume I can use this rather than wait for the counter to open and then head straight for the lounge?
If that doesn't work, I'd contemplated taking the HK express to the in-town check in to turn around immediately. If the latter, as a family of four, will we all need to be present for the in-town check in?
Old Feb 2, 20, 9:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC - Lowly blue
Originally Posted by Jofnan View Post
I'm in a vaguely similar situation except for arriving at 1500 for the 2345 departure on BA (in F if it makes any difference). The incoming is on HK Express and I don't expect to be interlined so I think I will need to clear immigration, collect bags and go land side.

The BA page says: "You may check-in online for this flight and if you have baggage, please take this to the Bag Drop desk J25-27, in Island J"

When does bag drop open? I presume I can use this rather than wait for the counter to open and then head straight for the lounge?
If that doesn't work, I'd contemplated taking the HK express to the in-town check in to turn around immediately. If the latter, as a family of four, will we all need to be present for the in-town check in?
Check in/bag drop at the airport opens 3 hours before IIRC. In town bag drop you would all need to be there too, and then get to the airport whenever you fancy I think (so long as you have boarding pass)
Old Feb 2, 20, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 5MM; BA GLD
Note that there is a discount fare for same-day round trips on the Airport Express train.
Old Feb 3, 20, 1:35 am

You should just collect your bags and take them with you on the Airport Express to Hong Kong Central Station. Then when you arrive, just go upstairs to the check-in facilities; to check-in your bags and get your boarding-pass for you BA FC flight. (I also find that when I use this down-town check-in facility, my bags always seem to be amongst the first to appear on the carousel in LHR T5.)

Afterwards, use the escalator and saunter up to the Hollywood Road area, for some shopping, coffee and perhaps a visit to the revitalised old colonial police barracks...now a heritage arts centre.

Head back to the airport, right after rush-hour; go straight through immigration.
Then use the Cathay FC Pier Lounge, to shower and relax in a private day-room; before you BA flight.
marcolau317 likes this.
Old Feb 3, 20, 3:20 am

If the latter, as a family of four, will we all need to be present for the in-town check in?
I don't think you all need to be present, but you would need enough people to cover the number of bags that you want to check.
Old Feb 3, 20, 5:29 am

Thanks everyone for your helpful suggestions - we would have just spent a recent week exploring Hong Kong so may well decide to check in bags and head straight back to the airport for a lounge crawl?
marcolau317 likes this.
Old Feb 4, 20, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by Lewis King View Post
Check in/bag drop at the airport opens 3 hours before IIRC. In town bag drop you would all need to be there too, and then get to the airport whenever you fancy I think (so long as you have boarding pass)
For future reference, BA have confirmed to me that the airport check-in desk and bag drop open 5 hours before (or around 6pm local time).

Search this Thread
Search Engine: