Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BDA-LGW Change to 3 class service twice (On 23 & 24th Jan)

Old Jan 23, 2020, 11:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGLfL, Virgin Gold

Hi all, I received an email & sms notification from customer BA relations that my flight in F on BA2232 from Bermuda to LGW on Jan 23rd would be downgraded to a 3 class service. I called the GGL line and changed my flight to the 24th Jan. A couple of hours later I received another email & sms advising that BA2232 would again be downgraded to a 3 class service on Jan 24th. I was told that my seat would be downgraded to Club World, but could only be allocated at the airport. This has happened a few times over the last couple of months, and I would like to ask the opinion of the sages on this forum as to whether this is due to old tired airframes, it is systematic, or BA intends to end F on this route. I have over a dozen returns in F booked on this route this year so I would welcome any thoughts.
thanks
Old Jan 23, 2020, 11:49 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, GGL, SPG Gold , HHonors Diamond ,Marriott Gold Elite
Question

Why then do they continue to put 4 class aircraft on ANU - LGW when this does not offer an F serice. Dedicate the 3 4 class 777 to routes that offer an F service . stop giving FLUB when this sort of thing happens to passengers that pay for F. What is so special about Antigua?
Old Jan 23, 2020, 11:56 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You are entitled to a refund of 75% of the segment fare. That may be a nice tidy sum and make up for the horror of slumming it in CW.
Mordac and TGLoyalty like this.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 1:33 pm

Programs: HiltonH. Gold Starwood Gold BA BLUES! Mucci.
The majority of the Gatwick 777 fleet does not have a first cabin. As soon as there is an issue with a four class bird there are few options; (The 787 engine issue and A350 crew shortage mean that there is little scope for a 777 from Heathrow to cover.)
No easy solution to this. I would book F and claim the 75% refund if it happened. ! Few other options from Bermuda.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 5:18 am
Original Poster

Thanks all.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 5:25 am

Programs: BA Gold
I flew back on the 21st, and they had the same 3 class plane.

They were also giving money on the spot to the people downgraded, either a cash option, I think $200 or $400 if they wanted a voucher for use against future travel. This was for the person, not the company paying for the ticket, which as the previous poster mentioned, they could them claim back for the cabin downgrade.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 6:08 am

Programs: BAEC Blue
I had a quick look on thebasource and it looks to have started at the end of Nov. There were no swaps to 3 class in Oct, once in Nov, 4 times in Dec and 4 times thus far in Jan (3 times in last 3 days).

I’ve a 2-4-1 booked in CW next month, now starting to worry that we’ll end up in WTP; worse than F to J in my opinion as I’ll lose the bed.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 8:48 am
Original Poster

I just wish that BA would decide & commit to consistent service on this route. 4 Class or 3 Class. Full-stop.
Flying from BDA to LON (LHR) via JFK is a pain, but at least there is a CCR each end, and / or Flagship First dining. Far cheaper booking via the AA website and using codeshare.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 10:46 am

3 class G-VIIU again today, that’s 4 days in a row that there’s been no F, and 5th time this month. What is going on?
harenzo likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 11:55 am

its very simple. B787's sitting around without engines, not enough crews trained for the A350's and B777's being pulled off their normal routes to cover. Commercial have been told by training not to start any new routes until sufficient crews have been trained for the current task, but they wont listen.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 1:10 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
As far as I can make out, there are 3 x 777s currently based at LGW with a First cabin, G-VIIV and VIIW and VIIY. There are 13 777s based there in all. The three I mentioned appear to be focused on ensuring BGI has First aircraft, plus there have been some weather related diversions in the Caribbean recently too. Essentialy not enough aircraft, and I would guess BDA isn't running full at the moment.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 1:21 pm

Programs: BAEC - Silver
Sounds like the pressure is on. We’re going to Bermuda again on holiday this year and hoping the F cabin remains for our flight.

Of course if it was downgraded to Club Suites we’d be fine but that’s not going to happen.

Fingers crossed for your remaining flights this year dbthebolt. At least you can still use the AMAZING First lounge at BDA with your gold card when flying in CW
Old Jan 24, 2020, 1:30 pm

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold, Marriott Ambassador
This is one of the shortest BA flatbed routes there is. I'd happily take the 75% refund and make do with the J product which is more than sufficient on this route.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 1:41 pm

Programs: BAEC - Silver
Originally Posted by hartwith
This is one of the shortest BA flatbed routes there is. I'd happily take the 75% refund and make do with the J product which is more than sufficient on this route.
You clearly don’t work as hard at the LPGS as I do

Edit: I clearly can’t deal with the acronym for that lovely Champagne
rapidex likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
As far as I can make out, there are 3 x 777s currently based at LGW with a First cabin, G-VIIV and VIIW and VIIY. There are 13 777s based there in all. The three I mentioned appear to be focused on ensuring BGI has First aircraft, plus there have been some weather related diversions in the Caribbean recently too. Essentialy not enough aircraft, and I would guess BDA isn't running full at the moment.
Looks like G-VIIV hasnt flown for 6 days, no idea why, but this will definitely have an impact

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.