FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   BA and Qatar joint venture application to Australia (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/2005787-ba-qatar-joint-venture-application-australia.html)

sxc Jan 23, 20 3:25 am

BA and Qatar joint venture application to Australia
 
Looks like BA and Qatar are looking to coordinate pricing and schedules to Australia on a set of flights:

https://www.executivetraveller.com/n...ralian-flights

Nine 'key routes' are highlighted in the joint business proposal:
  • Canberra – London
  • Melbourne - London
  • Melbourne - Edinburgh
  • Melbourne - Manchester
  • Adelaide – Manchester
  • Adelaide – London
  • Perth - London
  • Perth - Edinburgh
  • Perth - Manchester

wemyss Jan 23, 20 3:38 am

A total win-win for BA, but for QR what can they get associating themselves with a base airline where you have to climb over bodies to get out of your business class seats and the service is so inconsistent?

BrianDromey Jan 23, 20 4:08 am


Originally Posted by wemyss (Post 31984601)
A total win-win for BA, but for QR what can they get associating themselves with a base airline where you have to climb over bodies to get out of your business class seats and the service is so inconsistent?

To look at JV's just in the context of business class hardware is an extremely myopic view. Looking at the routes the only BA operated service that connects to QR services is the LHR-DOH, so I don't think the Club World service plays much of a part. BA have a huge FFP, marketing and sales database in the UK, that is what QR gain from a JV. QR may have an exceptional business class product, but they do not have yields to match. In fact they are almost always price leaders. An interesting development - it will be interesting to see the effect on

Dave Noble Jan 23, 20 4:11 am

yet another anti consumer cartel attempt to reduce competition

sxc Jan 23, 20 4:15 am

The plus for us will be that you can travel on QR metal and get bonus avios on the BA code.

Most of these key routes will be all QR metal assuming this will mostly funnel people into services via DOH.

But does this show a souring of relations with QF? Currently if you book BA to MEL, you are put on SYD-MEL on QF. Now you’ll just go on QR from DOH.

flylikelinz Jan 23, 20 4:38 am

Onward domestic connections in Sydney isn’t exactly seamless and many would welcome flying ‘straight” into Adelaide or Melbourne or Perth. Over connecting in Sydney.

Dan72 Jan 23, 20 4:46 am


Originally Posted by sxc (Post 31984665)

But does this show a souring of relations with QF? Currently if you book BA to MEL, you are put on SYD-MEL on QF. Now you’ll just go on QR from DOH.

Not really. BA already codeshare with CX and MH to Australia. I also expect that neither QF or BA sees each other as the key competition. I expect that they see the Gulf and mainland Chinese carriers as the real competition.

I also wonder if QF might be building up to ditch the EK partnership, which appears less close than it once did.

Funky Spike Jan 23, 20 4:47 am


Originally Posted by sxc (Post 31984665)
The plus for us will be that you can travel on QR metal and get bonus avios on the BA code.

Most of these key routes will be all QR metal assuming this will mostly funnel people into services via DOH.

But does this show a souring of relations with QF? Currently if you book BA to MEL, you are put on SYD-MEL on QF. Now you’ll just go on QR from DOH.

I always used to get LHR-HKG-MEL with a BA codeshare on CX HKG-MEL.

For the record BA codes on QR LGW-DOH-MEL have been available for some time.

Spike

allturnleft Jan 23, 20 4:48 am

Are there definitely no new BA routes as a result of this? Does SIN-SYD get dumped?

Globaliser Jan 23, 20 4:50 am


Originally Posted by sxc (Post 31984665)
But does this show a souring of relations with QF? Currently if you book BA to MEL, you are put on SYD-MEL on QF.

Currently, if you book BA codes to MEL and you want only one stop, you might be put on CX for HKG-MEL, you might be on MH for KUL-MEL, and you might be on QF for SIN-MEL. Oh, and you might be on QR for DOH-MEL.

So it doesn't seem to me like this would be such a dramatic change so far as routing is concerned. The commercial aspects may, of course, be different - and they are pretty much wholly unknown to almost all of us.

LGWClosedAgain Jan 23, 20 4:52 am

I'll take SIN over DOH any day.

BillyBleach Jan 23, 20 5:12 am


Originally Posted by wemyss (Post 31984601)
A total win-win for BA, but for QR what can they get associating themselves with a base airline where you have to climb over bodies to get out of your business class seats and the service is so inconsistent?

True but to be fair not all of the Qatar fleet have the 'Q-Suite'.

You have to be aware when booking, as some flights (albeit not those to and from London) arer still slopey J seats - far worse that BA.

cosmo74 Jan 23, 20 5:17 am


Originally Posted by BillyBleach (Post 31984766)
True but to be fair not all of the Qatar fleet have the 'Q-Suite'.

You have to be aware when booking, as some flights (albeit not those to and from London) arer still slopey J seats - far worse that BA.

Personally I preferred their older long-haul 2x2x2 J seating to that of CW.

Howard Long Jan 23, 20 5:58 am


Originally Posted by cosmo74 (Post 31984777)
Personally I preferred their older long-haul 2x2x2 J seating to that of CW.

We may be in the minority, but I do agree with you on the QR 777, which as far as I am aware is always a 180 degree flat seat in 2-2-2 config. While window lovers may find themselves stepping over their seat mates, there are plenty of aisle seats. I also find that seat to be super comfy, definitely more so the the Qsuites. Down side is lack of storage space, but then CW has that problem too.

I think there are still some QR A330s that aren't 180 degrees, but I've yet to encounter that configuration.

DYKWIA Jan 23, 20 7:15 am


Originally Posted by BillyBleach (Post 31984766)
You have to be aware when booking, as some flights (albeit not those to and from London) arer still slopey J seats - far worse that BA.

No they are not - long haul anyway. The B787s and A350s are 1-2-1 configuration (if not Q suite).

Some of the B777s and A330s are 2-2-2, fully flat.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qata...ays-fleet.html


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 9:46 am.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.