FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   BA and Qatar joint venture application to Australia (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/2005787-ba-qatar-joint-venture-application-australia.html)

everGLAdes Jan 23, 20 7:54 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble (Post 31984659)
yet another anti consumer cartel attempt to reduce competition

Or make the market more competitive against the likes of Emirates, Etihad and Singapore.

wemyss Jan 23, 20 9:54 am

Originally Posted by BrianDromey (Post 31984655)
To look at JV's just in the context of business class hardware is an extremely myopic view. Looking at the routes the only BA operated service that connects to QR services is the LHR-DOH, so I don't think the Club World service plays much of a part. BA have a huge FFP, marketing and sales database in the UK, that is what QR gain from a JV. QR may have an exceptional business class product, but they do not have yields to match. In fact they are almost always price leaders. An interesting development - it will be interesting to see the effect on

Does QR not fly to EDI? (soon to be Qsuites)
Does BA not fly to EDI?
This may be a super myopic view ofcourse...

Dave Noble Jan 23, 20 10:58 am

Originally Posted by everGLAdes (Post 31985236)
Or make the market more competitive against the likes of Emirates, Etihad and Singapore.

reducing competitioon doesn't make something more competitive. So - if BA, QR, EK, EY and SQ all got together to agree on what fares to charge, it would be even more competitive?

BA and QR are separate companies and should be competing themselves

email2markt Jan 23, 20 11:31 am

This partnership will presumably help BA improve load factors on BA15/16, BA11/12 and BA0123/0124 as more passengers can use them cheaply for onward journeys. I think it also makes it easier for BA to financially justify a new flight from Doha / Singapore to Australia?

Flying Yazata Jan 23, 20 11:42 am

I'm more interested in what kinds of fares we'd see in the future with a such JV. Not to mention routing options. Hopefully the possibility to route BA fares via DOH, besides SIN and HKG. The hardware changes and it's not really the big deal. One can also hope this would also strengthen QR as a part of the OW.

Cap'n Benj Jan 23, 20 11:43 am

Originally Posted by wemyss (Post 31984601)
A total win-win for BA, but for QR what can they get associating themselves with a base airline where you have to climb over bodies to get out of your business class seats and the service is so inconsistent?

YAWN

Misco60 Jan 23, 20 11:53 am

A total win-win for BA, but for QR what can they get associating themselves with a base airline where you have to climb over bodies to get out of your business class seats and the service is so inconsistent?

Well, if we're going to play that game, I could say that QR will be associating themselves with an airline whose cabin crew are real, empathetic human beings who try for the most part to make their passengers feel genuinely welcome rather than being obsequious automatons.

However, I don't think any of this has a place in a discussion about a possible joint business agreement between the two airlines, and I'd much prefer to keep to the facts.

wb1969 Jan 23, 20 12:23 pm

Lots of talk about QR not gaining from this JV but they donít offer Premium Economy so there are opportunities for BA to tap in to a new market. also far fewer Avios earned on QR than BA.

Personally hope this gets approved as I think QR are fantastic, even in Y. Every time I have flown exLHR on QR in Y the planes have only been 1/3 full so almost guaranteed spare seats to stretch out.

DFB_london Jan 23, 20 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by DYKWIA (Post 31985088)
No they are not - long haul anyway. The B787s and A350s are 1-2-1 configuration (if not Q suite).

Some of the B777s and A330s are 2-2-2, fully flat.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qata...ays-fleet.html

yes totally correct- all QR long haul fleet, including some A320 are fully horizontally flat.
The last sloppy went when the A330 were refurbished. (The A340-600 that went to Manila have long gone.)

At worst, on the few A330 that still run you get a flat seat similar to the AA or UA Atlantic 757 seat. Which is fine

The 350, 380 and 787 either have a 1-2-1 herringbone on Q suite. The 777LR is q suite. The 77W is either q suite or a 2-2-2 - but flat and roomy.

djsflynn Jan 23, 20 2:04 pm

If anybody wishers to peruse the actual BA/QR application to the ACCC, here 'tis: https://www.accc.gov.au/public-regis...-airways-qatar

Passmethesickbag Jan 23, 20 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by LGWClosedAgain (Post 31984733)
I'll take SIN over DOH any day.

Especially during Ramadan.

Dave Noble Jan 23, 20 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by LGWClosedAgain (Post 31984733)
I'll take SIN over DOH any day.

I can't think of many better airports for connecting at than Doha. (the only one that I prefer is Muscat). Singapore is decent, but not as good as Doha imo

ozflier Jan 23, 20 10:05 pm

And how could anyone compare QR's short and medium distance business class with British.
BA's euro business class is pathetic!

geronimo Jan 23, 20 10:15 pm

Money. They get money. Which might also explain why they are happily one of IAGís largest shareholders. 20% at the last count...

LGWClosedAgain Jan 24, 20 4:43 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble (Post 31987197)
I can't think of many better airports for connecting at than Doha. (the only one that I prefer is Muscat). Singapore is decent, but not as good as Doha imo

I think you're in a very small minority of people who would rather connect at DOH than SIN. DOH is a chore between flights, SIN is a nice pleasant break between flights.