Search

Avios upgrade question -unequal costs.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2020, 5:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAGA Gymnastics 4.
Avios upgrade question -unequal costs.

Bear with me....

Looking at a LHR - MOW and return WT+ -> CW "pay cash and upgrade with avios". We've not booked anything yet.

One of the flights could be on the G-MEDx 321s with no WT+

If we book WT+ both ways (on the 787), the cost is £450ish per ticket

If we upgrade only the outbound (on the 2-class A321) It's £450 and 10000 avios (there's no upgrade availability on the 787)
If we upgrade only the inbound (on the 3-class 787) It's still £450 but only 5000 avios

(In either case the taxes are nigh-on identical, there's like 10p in it)

I understand that on the outbound it's more avios because we're effectively upgrading two classes, but why is the price and taxes the same?

Alternatively, one could take the view that on the A321 we're paying for a WT+ seat that doesnt exist, and upgrading that, in which case why is it twice the Avios?

Confiused of South-West London
Old Jan 22, 2020, 5:54 am

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
Is it because the outbound is M-J, not W-J Avios required? You'd be going from Economy to Business, not WTP up.
Cymro likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 5:56 am
Original Poster

Quite possibly, but in that case I don't understand why the base price is still that of WT+
Old Jan 22, 2020, 6:06 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by BlueStuLondon
Quite possibly, but in that case I don't understand why the base price is still that of WT+
I suspect ba,com is struggling with that issue too. In which case just book a cash Y ticket and then do the UuA.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by BlueStuLondon
I understand that on the outbound it's more avios because we're effectively upgrading two classes, but why is the price and taxes the same?
According to ITA, the TFC on a WT+ round-trip ticket are the same as the TFC on a Club round-trip ticket. Therefore on a WT+ --> Club UuA there would be no cash element to pay.

However, if you pay for a cash ticket that's on a Y fare in one direction (because there's no WT+ on that aircraft) and a WT+ fare in the other direction, and then you UuA to Club in both directions, then there may be a difference in TFC, depending on the direction in which you pay for Y and then UuA to Club.
BlueStuLondon likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 1:27 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies and guidance, guys. Booking this morning... it's a very good deal Avios-wise, IMHO

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.