Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Amex Blue - alternatives to Revolut card when abroad

Old Jan 20, 20, 7:09 pm
Original Poster

My employer is getting fed up with paying my exchange fees when abroad on
each transation. So I got a revolt card but then discovered this does not work with Amex. They blocked all payments. Is there any alternatives you can use with Amex? I have a VA card and put £2.5k on ans was issued a £25 cash advance fee. So ideally a currency card that doesnít charge this.

Monzo and starling I have but canít top up with CC. I wonít be using my cash to pay expenses as my weekly expenses often are more then my weekly salary and wonít/canít wait for accounts to pay.

my intial answer to accounts was provide me with a company card. The answer to that was NO.
Old Jan 20, 20, 7:52 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
If you travel on business itís up to your employer to find a method of payment that works. They canít force you to apply for a card though may ask you to use a corporate card. So keep on using your Amex until they provide you with an alternative.
Dambus, aidy and etiene like this.
Old Jan 21, 20, 12:11 am

Programs: Krisflyer Gold
Sounds like you need to change employer not credit card !!

I agree, I would continue to use whatever was suitable for myself until provided something to use otherwise
etiene and mec72 like this.
Old Jan 21, 20, 12:14 am

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
Employer is the issue there!

my old employer paid the exchange fees no issues whatsoever, my current employers gives all employees a credit card
Old Jan 21, 20, 12:19 am

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Opportunity to get an AMEX plat and expense the annual fee perhaps?

EDIT: UK card does not offer free foreign currency transactions it seems - didnít realise this

Last edited by Dambus; Jan 21, 20 at 4:04 pm
Old Jan 21, 20, 12:33 am

Note that (US) Amex plat seems to price in a 2%ish foreign transaction fee despite what they say.

Have a look at Curve, seems like itíd solve your fee and atm problem.
Old Jan 21, 20, 1:49 am

Programs: Mucci des Cieux Bleus de British Airways BA GGL
Originally Posted by Dambus View Post
Opportunity to get an AMEX plat and expense the annual fee perhaps?
How exactly would this help? The OP is asking about cards with no FX charge of which AMEX Platinum isn't one.
Old Jan 21, 20, 2:09 am

Programs: Bonvoy Plat, BA Silver, IHG Spire, AMEX Plat
Try curve linked to your virgin card itís fee free weekdays (on the more widely used currencies) and a small fee on weekends.

Revolut is good for weekends as you can preload on weekdays when there is no fee. Revolut top ups used to be fee free (and the T&Cs say they should be) but looks like there have been some IT changes which are causing fees atm
Old Jan 21, 20, 2:13 am

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
I agree it's the employers problem, but I can see their point as you are quite happy to get the Avios for these and use Amex as it suits you.

I'd be getting another card like Tymit or JaJa for personal use when abroad as I refuse to pay FX fees to Amex.

There's also the new Tandem cashback card at £6 a month, which if you're putting a lot through it, may make sense to pay the fee.

Last edited by chistery; Jan 21, 20 at 2:18 am
Old Jan 21, 20, 2:59 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by sidesh0w View Post
Note that (US) Amex plat seems to price in a 2%ish foreign transaction fee despite what they say.

Have a look at Curve, seems like itíd solve your fee and atm problem.
Strangely I had a look at Curve the other day, only Visa & Mastercard seem to be options, Amex no longer an option
Old Jan 21, 20, 3:13 am

Programs: BA, Emirates, IHG, Accor, Marriott, Hilton
If you want Avios you are pretty limited with options.

HSBC Premier Mastercards give you an option via linking with Curve and earning Avios, but you obviously need to tick the requirements for a premier account.

However seeing as the majority of credit cards have an FX fee, unless your employer is willing to give you a corporate card I can't see they have any argument. They can't force you to use a debit card, and can't force you to apply for another credit card. A corporate card would probably be the worst solution for you as generally you get no rewards.

Curve really seems the best option, but maybe worth looking at other earning credit cards - Virgin, IHG etc?
Old Jan 21, 20, 3:16 am

I think the ďbe careful what you wish forĒ adage might be relevant here. If your employer decides to impose a corporate card, you may get nothing at all (depending on the card and agreements they have). Not every employer is generous enough to let you accrue points etc from corporate cards.

Have you considered 0% fee abroad cards which still give something back? The Nationwide Select credit card is one example (I imagine there are others). Sure, the reward rate isnít amazing - 0.25%, though it used to be 0.5% - paid as cashback every December. But it circumvents the problem, while still giving you something back.

In my case, I use Revolut/Starling for fee-free withdrawals abroad when I need cash, and the Nationwide Select card for other purchases (always selecting to pay in local currency, to avoid any additional load).
Old Jan 21, 20, 3:25 am

I have the Nationwide Select card that squak references. It's a good card that gets you commission free usage abroad which is great. No avios, unfortunately, but thems the breaks.

On a slightly downward note, you only get the small cashback reward on UK purchases and not on purchases abroad, and you'll need a Nationwide Flex Plus account in order to be eligible for the Select card. I am not aware that that requirement has changed, but I have had the card for 5 years so would be unaware if it had.

I'm sure there are others out there as well.
Old Jan 21, 20, 3:26 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Thrifty Scotsman View Post
Strangely I had a look at Curve the other day, only Visa & Mastercard seem to be options, Amex no longer an option
Amex was an option for about 48 hours last year. They'd worked closely with Curve and were behind the launch. However, according to Amex, Curve launched too early, so Amex pulled the plug.
Old Jan 21, 20, 4:47 am
WLX

Originally Posted by squawk View Post
I think the ďbe careful what you wish forĒ adage might be relevant here. If your employer decides to impose a corporate card, you may get nothing at all (depending on the card and agreements they have). Not every employer is generous enough to let you accrue points etc from corporate cards.
This is definitely true Ė my employer has Membership Rewards earning turned off on our corporate cards.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: