Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

*Coronavirus : BA Suspends all flts to mainland China* +discussion on long haul flts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 26, 2020, 5:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Globaliser
BA have cancelled all flights to PKX (Beijing/Peking) and PVG (Shanghai Pu Dong) "until 19 April 2020".

BA frequency to HKG has been reduced with effect from 13 February 2020 - see below for further details. From HKG, Cathay is running a heavily reduced schedule to mainland destinations until the end of March.

If you are due to fly to PKX, PVG and your flight is cancelled then you have refund, re-route and rebook options. BA can rebook on to several other airlines.
If you are due to fly to Hong Kong until 1st April you have refund and rebook options.
If you are transiting into mainland China you are also covered as above.
If you are transiting internationally (e.g. LHR-HKG-SYD) you are not able to move your flights, unless they are cancelled anyway.
The latest ba.com update was on 21 February 2020 at 1510.

More information on the advice of Her Majesty's Government about travel and health is on the Foreign and Commonwealth Office website.
https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/china

For the Special Administration Regions of Hong Kong and Macao:
https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/hong-kong
https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/macao

Summary from IATA of all travel restrictions due to Coronavirus as added to TIMATIC https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/int...1580226297.htm

HKG frequency reductions (as of 1330 on 21 February 2020, all dates inclusive).

LHR-HKG

From Thu 13.02.2020 to Mon 01.06.2020: BA31 cancelled. BA27 operates (380).

Exceptions:-
  • Tue 18.02.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (777).
  • Tue 10.03.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (777).
  • Mon 27.04.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (380).
  • Tue 28.04.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (380).
  • Wed 29.04.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (380).
  • Thu 30.04.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (380).
  • Mon 11.05.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (380).
  • Tue 12.05.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (380).
  • Mon 18.05.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (380).
  • Tue 19.05.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (380).
  • Sun 24.05.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (380).
  • Mon 25.05.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (380).
  • Tue 26.05.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (380).
  • Mon 01.06.2020: BA31 cancelled. BA27 operates (777).
In addition, on Mon 08.06.2020: BA31 cancelled. BA27 operates (777).

HKG-LHR

From Fri 14.02.2020 to Tue 02.06.2020: BA32 cancelled. BA28 operates (380).

Exceptions:-
  • Wed 19.02.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (777).
  • Wed 11.03.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (777).
  • Sun 29.03.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (380).
  • Tue 28.04.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (380).
  • Wed 29.04.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (380).
  • Thu 30.04.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (380).
  • Fri 01.05.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (380).
  • Tue 12.05.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (380).
  • Wed 13.05.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (380).
  • Tue 19.05.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (380).
  • Wed 20.05.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (380).
  • Mon 25.05.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (380).
  • Tue 26.05.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (380).
  • Wed 27.05.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (380).
  • Tue 02.06.2020: BA32 cancelled. BA28 operates (777).
In addition, on Tue 09.06.2020: BA32 cancelled. BA28 operates (777).

Note: Schedule changes take effect on Sun 29.03.2020 in both directions.

Print Wikipost

*Coronavirus : BA Suspends all flts to mainland China* +discussion on long haul flts

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2020, 4:27 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, BAEC Silver, Thai Silver, Bangkok Air, Krisflyer Blue
Due to fly into HKG in 10 days for a two night stay before flying onto Thailand for a vacation. Mrs Quest has a chronic lung problem, so concerned about the virus. Think we will simply stay in the hotel and take necessary preventative steps. Masks ordered, antiviral foam and wipes obtained. Wash hands and avoid crowds as much as possible.

also noted BA have been dropping the 777 service for today and next few days.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 4:45 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by qwest01
Due to fly into HKG in 10 days for a two night stay before flying onto Thailand for a vacation. Mrs Quest has a chronic lung problem, so concerned about the virus. Think we will simply stay in the hotel and take necessary preventative steps. Masks ordered, antiviral foam and wipes obtained. Wash hands and avoid crowds as much as possible.
In the absence of your wife's lung problem, I might not be too concerned (being an optimist that I am), but I'd consider the risks at airports (queues etc.) and on flights in your situation, with your wife's lung problems. It's easy to hide in a hotel room with room service etc., but it's much harder to avoid crowded situation at airports.

Will you be able to enjoy your holiday with those concerns, and will you be covered by insurance should she catch something considering she has a pre-existing lung condition?

Maybe you could review the rebooking options available for your flights (e.g. contacting BA about change fees and availability at a future candidate date etc.) and hotels, so that you could make a quick decision just before your departure as to whether to go or not? 10 days in this kind of developing situation is a long time and things may be looking better or worse.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 5:29 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by SKRan
300,000 people left Wuhan before the lockdown, which is probably as many as BA silver and above.

WTO did decide that a lockdown of the country is not yet required. Shanghai is advanced in controlling the infection but only travel if it’s essential to you.

take no risk to yourself and others around you.
Toronto just had it's first positive case involving a person who left Wuhan and flew to Toronto from Guanghzou on Jan.21. Landed in Toronto Jan.22, in the hospital with bad symptoms the next day. I feel sorry for the 300 people who were on that plane with him. Plus anyone wondering how any of this is pertinent to BA everyone landing in Toronto T3 has to use touchscreens when scanning their passport and answering the questions so an infected person from a flight from China into T3 can be answering the questions on the touchscreen that hundreds of other passengers will then be touching afterwards,
flygirl68 likes this.

Last edited by Crampedin13A; Jan 25, 2020 at 9:47 pm
Old Jan 25, 2020, 10:31 pm

Programs: BA Bronze
I’ve got to confess that I’m increasingly concerned about this with a 5 month old baby at home - we are expats living in HK. We can’t even get his regular vaccinations done as the family clinic is like a madhouse, packed to the rafters, not exactly a good place to be. It’s also not reassuring that it isn’t really a good idea to go to a hospital unless you really need to - here is the level of competence in this city:

”Health officials in Hong Kong have apologised for putting a patient with the new coronavirus
in the wrong ward, raising fears for the safety of others.The Hospital Authority on Saturday revealed a 62-year-old infected woman from Wuhan was kept in a ward at Tuen Mun Hospital for up to four hours without negative room pressure, which is designed to prevent germs or any body fluid from spreading.

Later in the day, doctors at the hospital said they had identified 12 people who needed to be placed in quarantine as a result, following a visit by experts from the Department of Health and Hospital Authority’s head office.”
-
https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...ials-apologise

It’s a tough call to make about whether to stay or whether to go - strikes me that one is really exposing oneself by visiting the airport and then sitting in close proximity to hundreds of others in a metal tube for 12 hours. I am more concerned for our baby than for me. At the same time, the longer we delay a departure, it feels like a narrowing window to safely get out.

Presumably BA have pulled the 777 service temporarily as a result of demand? I noticed that economy tickets on the HKG-LHR route increased in price by about 40% overnight a couple of days ago.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by go_around
I noticed that economy tickets on the HKG-LHR route increased in price by about 40% overnight a couple of days ago.
Very classy move from BA.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 10:58 pm

Programs: BAEC - Lowly blue
Got a long layover in Hong Kong in a few days; then back for a few days in late February/early March followed by Singapore... shall be interesting 🧐
Old Jan 25, 2020, 11:17 pm

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Just to add to the comparison with other airlines, the Lufthansa group now has a rebooking policy for those due to travel on OS/LH/LX/CA before 23rd Feb, either a refund or a reschedule up until 30th September.
Old Jan 25, 2020, 11:43 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by go_around
It’s also not reassuring that it isn’t really a good idea to go to a hospital unless you really need to - here is the level of competence in this city:
NHS hospitals can and have made worse mistakes. At least the HK hospital didn't try to cover this up.

Obviously the UK is further from the epicenter, so safer, but the more people who try to "escape" the more chances there are for the virus to spread...
Old Jan 25, 2020, 11:47 pm

Programs: BA - Blue
Originally Posted by trueblu
BBC says there will be 'enhanced' surveillance from flights incoming from CHina, but only specifics I've seen applied to the flights (now defunct) from Wuhan diverted to T4.

I'm flying PKX-LHR-GVA tomorrow, does anyone know what's in place for flights from Beijing/ Shanghai etc?

tb

PS for those concerned about connections in HKG...given that there are relatively few cases in HK currently, if transiting HKG becomes a major risk, it's likely that by that time the whole thing has gone global. With SARS, HK was affected severely early on due to "super spreaders" from the initial outbreak in Guangdong. This isn't the same scenario.
To answer my own question, flying PKX-LHR (and onwards) yesterday....

First off, 100% of airport staff were wearing masks, which was surprisingly reassuring. Most pax and I think all Chinese pax were wearing masks. Ironically, the one person (non-Chinese) who was visibly coughing (and sat behind me!!) was not wearing a mask...I'm not too concerned, yet.

Cabin crew wore masks to greet people entering the aircraft, but in the front cabin, at least, did not wear masks through the flight. I didn't venture further back to see the situation there.

Once we arrived at LHR, there was a sl. delay to the gate, and then the captain announced that the flight was being 'met' by Public Health England prior to disembarkation. We eventually parked at the gate and waited there for 15-20 minutes because PHE was held up with another flight. And then the captain announced we could get off, didn't see anyone get on the aircraft. I bumped into captain in the lift and asked him whether PHE had just screened a 'high risk' pax, and he answered that they just went through the manifest....that's fine, but presumably could have been done in advance any time prior to arrival!!

tb

PS I would echo advice that there is absolutely no point coming to China currently as a tourist, and probably the situation will be like that until late Feb/ early March at the earliest...
Old Jan 26, 2020, 1:28 am

Programs: CA Gold, EY Silver HHons Diamond
Originally Posted by nk15
Very classy move from BA.
They are still refusing to waive cancel/refund fees on flights from/to China apart from Wuhan.

Really poor show imo
Old Jan 26, 2020, 2:06 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by qwest01

also noted BA have been dropping the 777 service for today and next few days.
The dropped services are due to Chinese New Year opposed to anything else.

The FCO have updated their advice to those travelling to Hubei Province, advising not to travel.

M
Old Jan 26, 2020, 2:34 am

Originally Posted by LOUDNOISES
They are still refusing to waive cancel/refund fees on flights from/to China apart from Wuhan.

Really poor show imo
Agreed, I have a booking with BA and DL travel and DL were happy to give me a waiver under the circumstances. I'm a BA guy at heart but this isn't a good look for BA at all.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 2:42 am

Can't remember which flight or year, or if it was BA, but before we took off the attendants came round and sprayed the whole aircraft. Once in Turkey our room was sprayed every other day and on embarking one ship everyone had to have their temperature taken. Hoping to fly to China soon.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 2:42 am

Originally Posted by James91
Agreed, I have a booking with BA and DL travel and DL were happy to give me a waiver under the circumstances. I'm a BA guy at heart but this isn't a good look for BA at all.
Let's be honest, BA is characteristically slow in making decisions of this kind. They still haven't made a decision on masks for their crews and are loading limited hand sanitizer.
James91 likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 2:49 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Welcome to Flyertalk Kathryn Venn, and welcome to the BA forum. I hope you will enjoy participating here, welcome on board. There are quite a few longhaul destinations where BA has to run insecticide through the aircraft, so the warning for contact lens wearers is frequently heard on flights to Asia and elsewhere. Low profile temperature checks, dating from the time of SARS, remain in place at many Asian airports.
====
My hunch is that now that schools and universities are having their return dates deferred, that it won't be too long before BA offer a customer service policy on PVG and PKX. The school issue will mean that business meetings will start getting deferred. That's just a guess, but I suspect it is a few days off.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.