Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

*Coronavirus : BA Suspends all flts to mainland China* +discussion on long haul flts

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 26, 2020, 5:00 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Globaliser
BA have cancelled all flights to PKX (Beijing/Peking) and PVG (Shanghai Pu Dong) "until 19 April 2020".

BA frequency to HKG has been reduced with effect from 13 February 2020 - see below for further details. From HKG, Cathay is running a heavily reduced schedule to mainland destinations until the end of March.

If you are due to fly to PKX, PVG and your flight is cancelled then you have refund, re-route and rebook options. BA can rebook on to several other airlines.
If you are due to fly to Hong Kong until 1st April you have refund and rebook options.
If you are transiting into mainland China you are also covered as above.
If you are transiting internationally (e.g. LHR-HKG-SYD) you are not able to move your flights, unless they are cancelled anyway.
The latest ba.com update was on 21 February 2020 at 1510.

More information on the advice of Her Majesty's Government about travel and health is on the Foreign and Commonwealth Office website.
https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/china

For the Special Administration Regions of Hong Kong and Macao:
https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/hong-kong
https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/macao

Summary from IATA of all travel restrictions due to Coronavirus as added to TIMATIC https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/int...1580226297.htm

HKG frequency reductions (as of 1330 on 21 February 2020, all dates inclusive).

LHR-HKG

From Thu 13.02.2020 to Mon 01.06.2020: BA31 cancelled. BA27 operates (380).

Exceptions:-
  • Tue 18.02.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (777).
  • Tue 10.03.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (777).
  • Mon 27.04.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (380).
  • Tue 28.04.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (380).
  • Wed 29.04.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (380).
  • Thu 30.04.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (380).
  • Mon 11.05.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (380).
  • Tue 12.05.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (380).
  • Mon 18.05.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (380).
  • Tue 19.05.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (380).
  • Sun 24.05.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (380).
  • Mon 25.05.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (380).
  • Tue 26.05.2020: BA27 cancelled. BA31 operates (380).
  • Mon 01.06.2020: BA31 cancelled. BA27 operates (777).
In addition, on Mon 08.06.2020: BA31 cancelled. BA27 operates (777).

HKG-LHR

From Fri 14.02.2020 to Tue 02.06.2020: BA32 cancelled. BA28 operates (380).

Exceptions:-
  • Wed 19.02.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (777).
  • Wed 11.03.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (777).
  • Sun 29.03.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (380).
  • Tue 28.04.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (380).
  • Wed 29.04.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (380).
  • Thu 30.04.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (380).
  • Fri 01.05.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (380).
  • Tue 12.05.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (380).
  • Wed 13.05.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (380).
  • Tue 19.05.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (380).
  • Wed 20.05.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (380).
  • Mon 25.05.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (380).
  • Tue 26.05.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (380).
  • Wed 27.05.2020: BA28 cancelled. BA32 operates (380).
  • Tue 02.06.2020: BA32 cancelled. BA28 operates (777).
In addition, on Tue 09.06.2020: BA32 cancelled. BA28 operates (777).

Note: Schedule changes take effect on Sun 29.03.2020 in both directions.

Print Wikipost

*Coronavirus : BA Suspends all flts to mainland China* +discussion on long haul flts

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2020, 2:07 am

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold
Obviously details are still emerging - the Trade site advice only lists cancellations up to Jan 31 whereas the other information gives Feb 3rd as the current "wait until then and see" date.

We live in China (Beijing) and are in Europe on holiday - now considering to stay at least a few days extra to see how things pan out (if we return to Beijing we should self quarantine for 14 days in any case).

I plan to ask some friends about a spare room - but can someone remind me the recommended hotel limit (assuming duty of care applies here ...) for while we are in London in case I need to book at least one extra night while I sort out where we will stay. Thanks!

Last edited by GinFizz; Jan 29, 2020 at 2:14 am
Old Jan 29, 2020, 2:13 am

Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
Right, thanks. So they could, had they deemed it prudent, have chosen to operate today (as Virgin seems to have done), and operated one last flight back tomorrow with the crew already there.
They can position back as passengers, but positioning before a flight does not count as a rest period. I expect the crews in China will position to HKG on CX then come home.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 2:36 am

Programs: Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by GinFizz
Obviously details are still emerging - the Trade site advice only lists cancellations up to Jan 31 whereas the other information gives Feb 3rd as the current "wait until then and see" date.

We live in China (Beijing) and are in Europe on holiday - now considering to stay at least a few days extra to see how things pan out (if we return to Beijing we should self quarantine for 14 days in any case).

I plan to ask some friends about a spare room - but can someone remind me the recommended hotel limit (assuming duty of care applies here ...) for while we are in London in case I need to book at least one extra night while I sort out where we will stay. Thanks!
Legally no set limit. General advice is to keep to under Ł200 to make life easier with BA. Others can advise better than me whether duty of care would apply in this scenario.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 2:42 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by lcylocal
Others can advise better than me whether duty of care would apply in this scenario.
I'd be interested to know this. For me, this would fall 100% under "phone the travel insurance". But I'd be interested to know what BA's official liability is here.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 2:49 am

Originally Posted by Wozza2404
I'd be interested to know this. For me, this would fall 100% under "phone the travel insurance". But I'd be interested to know what BA's official liability is here.
The email we have from BA clearly mentions seeing a member of staff for assistance with hotel booking, but that could be just standard wording - and it would be a bit bizarre to expect BA to pay for a hotel until flights are restarted!

I am looking in any case to stay with friends and can work from the UK if needed so at least in the short term this is an academic question ...
Old Jan 29, 2020, 3:19 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
If you are in London now, and your home is in China, then yes, EC261 Right to Care would apply. From a reasonableness point of view I would be trying to keep costs down, and perhaps looking at aparthotels if you suspect it may take a while to get home. It would also be reasonable to work with BA to see if they can resolve another route home, which at the moment would seem to be via HKG and Cathay. Flights are being restricted but they are operating. The usual problem in this space is that the Contact Centres may be currently constrained in this area whereas the airport may be able to rebook you. It's possible BA will arrange alternatives. For Shanghai, Iberia's service hasn't (yet) been cancelled and Contact Centres should be able to rebook to that service. The usual guideline is Ł200 a night but at this time of year hotel prices in London are low, I can see a number of Hiltons with rates of Ł126 or less, e.g. DT Hyde Park, HGI Hatton Cross is Ł97.

Ditto if you are in China and you are trying to return home to Europe.
wrp96 and GinFizz like this.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 3:21 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor Plat, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
This is the BA.com advice, timed 07:54 on 29 January 2020.
The updated advice that was posted 10 minutes later than this one has changed the dates of the cancelled flights
Originally Posted by British Airways Flight Ops
Answer Id 7982 Updated 29/01/2020 08.04 AM (UK time)
Following Foreign Office advice against all but essential travel to mainland China we have temporarily suspended our flights to and from Beijing and Shanghai with immediate effect, until Friday 31 January, while we assess the situation.
I have just got off the phone to BA regarding BA39 (LHR-PKX) on 31st of Jan, they are no longer selling seats but the flight is not yet cancelled so no rerouting. Amex plat is saying that as long as flights are not cancelled they will not rebook me either (I have an onward connection to Seoul on another ticket after a short stay in Beijing).
Old Jan 29, 2020, 3:28 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Ikaz
I have just got off the phone to BA regarding BA39 (LHR-PKX) on 31st of Jan, they are no longer selling seats but the flight is not yet cancelled so no rerouting. Amex plat is saying that as long as flights are not cancelled they will not rebook me either (I have an onward connection to Seoul on another ticket after a short stay in Beijing).
Thanks for that update, I did think it odd the timings in there compared to the Trade Support version. I'll manually amend it.

In your case I guess you specifically want a re-route because a refund wouldn't help you for the Seoul trip? And without a cancellation BA won't offer a reroute. Moreover the reroute options may be just to some airports, not Seoul. However I can't see things radically improving in the next 48 hours (au contraire, frankly, it's a dismal situation getting worse). So I think there is a good chance that a cancellation will happen. So I think the choice is essentially do you take a refund now and make the best of that, or wait to see if BA will reroute to Seoul.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 3:38 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor Plat, IHG Diamond
Thanks for that update, I did think it odd the timings in there compared to the Trade Support version. I'll manually amend it.

In your case I guess you specifically want a re-route because a refund wouldn't help you for the Seoul trip? And without a cancellation BA won't offer a reroute. Moreover the reroute options may be just to some airports, not Seoul. However I can't see things radically improving in the next 48 hours (au contraire, frankly, it's a dismal situation getting worse). So I think there is a good chance that a cancellation will happen. So I think the choice is essentially do you take a refund now and make the best of that, or wait to see if BA will reroute to Seoul.
Indeed a refund doesn't help me right now as Seoul is our current destination. I am personally not in much of a rush so can wait it out before changing my ticket (flying for holidays and both our employers have agreed to let us cancel time off if required).
Already have backup destinations in the pocket too, changing the whole thing at my cost.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
If you are in London now, and your home is in China, then yes, EC261 Right to Care would apply. From a reasonableness point of view I would be trying to keep costs down, and perhaps looking at aparthotels if you suspect it may take a while to get home. It would also be reasonable to work with BA to see if they can resolve another route home, which at the moment would seem to be via HKG and Cathay. Flights are being restricted but they are operating. The usual problem in this space is that the Contact Centres may be currently constrained in this area whereas the airport may be able to rebook you. It's possible BA will arrange alternatives. For Shanghai, Iberia's service hasn't (yet) been cancelled and Contact Centres should be able to rebook to that service. The usual guideline is Ł200 a night but at this time of year hotel prices in London are low, I can see a number of Hiltons with rates of Ł126 or less, e.g. DT Hyde Park, HGI Hatton Cross is Ł97.

Ditto if you are in China and you are trying to return home to Europe.
So far (and it could change within minutes), we are only talking about 4 flights on January 29 and 30. Other airlines are flying to/from Beijing and Shanghai, so BA can reroute. I heard that they do at the airport. PLenty of options, nonstop (MU, CA), one-stops via HKG or even via AF KL.
What will happen in the likely case where BA suspends for a longer period is is another question.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 4:39 am

There has been a new update released today 29 January 2020, time 11:15 GMT, known as Update 4. It's a bit complex!

For PKX and PVG:
Ticketed on or before 28 January, travel dates 25 January to 23 February inclusive
- For cancelled services, standard guidelines apply (rebook, refund, some rerouting/alternative gateway options).
- For operating services: refund allowed, rebooking allowed, one re-routing now allowed, namely to Hong Kong. This essentially allows you to turn the flight to a Hong Kong only service instead of flying to PVG or PKX. The guidelines do not include adding a Cathay (etc) service to make the final service, that is for own account. [CWS comment: there may be some EC261 protection here to allow you to get to your ticketed destination, plus it maybe that BA are working with Cathay on rebooking options, however Cathay are also having to scale back their flights to mainland China]. It is specifically OK to shorten your trip. Then finally BA are allowing you to use the value of your ticket on to other BA services at today's prices.

For HKG
Ticketed on or before 28 January, travel dates 25 January to 23 February inclusive
No cancellations yet.
For operating services, you have the refund, and rebook options, no re-route options (unless the fare rules allow them anyway). However new to this is BA are allowing you to use the value of your ticket on to other BA services at today's prices.
International connections remain outside this guideline, so if you are travelling LHR-HKG-SYD, there is no policy in place that allows changes, other than those in your fare rules.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 4:56 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
There has been a new update released today 29 January 2020, time 11:15 GMT, known as Update 4. It's a bit complex!

For PKX and PVG:
- For cancelled services, standard guidelines apply (rebook, refund, some rerouting/alternative gateway options).
- For operating services: refund allowed, rebooking allowed, one re-routing now allowed, namely to Hong Kong. This essentially allows you to turn the flight to a Hong Kong only service instead of flying to PVG or PKX. The guidelines do not include adding a Cathay (etc) service to make the final service, that is for own account. [CWS comment: there may be some EC261 protection here to allow you to get to your ticketed destination, plus it maybe that BA are working with Cathay on rebooking options, however Cathay are also having to scale back their flights to mainland China]. It is specifically OK to shorten your trip. Then finally BA are allowing you to use the value of your ticket on to other BA services at today's prices.

For HKG
No cancellations yet.
For operating services, you have the refund, and rebook options, no re-route options (unless the fare rules allow them anyway). However new to this is BA are allowing you to use the value of your ticket on to other BA services at today's prices.
International connections remain outside this guideline, so if you are travelling LHR-HKG-SYD, there is no policy in place that allows changes, other than those in your fare rules.
Thanks for posting this.

Without playing Nostradamus, one could envisage HKG shutting down within the next 7 days (indeed I am reliably told there are regular discussions within BA), so switching from PVG/PKX to HKG may be a pointless option.

I'd expect further updates over the next 24 hours.

M
Old Jan 29, 2020, 5:10 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Folks, with the announcement of suspension of all BA flights to mainland China, this thread will be very busy with travel disruption. Please help us all by keeping the thread clear of off-topic comments, tangential discussions & wisecracks.

Thanks you for your co-operation.

The mod team
Right, we've already had to remove a whole slew of posts where forum members are handbagging each other about xenophobia, snowflakes, eating bats and such like.

Please respect those who are trying to use this thread to ask for & to provide assistance ref BA travel disruption and take these discussions ELSEWHERE.

Last edited by Oxon Flyer; Jan 29, 2020 at 6:12 am
Old Jan 29, 2020, 5:12 am

If you are in London now, and your home is in China, then yes, EC261 Right to Care would apply.
​​​​​​
Thanks CWS - I think our plan for now will be to see what is the earliest date we can rebook for - and then decide whether to take that and wait for developments, or to ask for a rerouting (some constraints there as my wife is Chinese and don't want to get stuck at an airport where she can't go landside ...).

We arrive at LGW from RAK later this afternoon so will be able I guess to sort things out there (we have an overnight stay in London in any case).
Old Jan 29, 2020, 5:13 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
Without playing Nostradamus, one could envisage HKG shutting down within the next 7 days (indeed I am reliably told there are regular discussions within BA), so switching from PVG/PKX to HKG may be a pointless option.
I hope this won't be considered OT, but HK authorities aren't keen to close HKG. They even buckled to CX/HX pressure to continue admitting Mainland transit pax:

"Separately, the government floated the controversial idea of stopping mainland passengers from transiting through Hong Kong International Airport (HKIA), sources said. But because of strong resistance from the aviation industry, discussions led by the Transport and Housing Bureau stalled, according to people familiar with the matter."

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...posed-stopping

If BA wishes to suspend HKG service, that's up to them. HK Govt will not frontrun BA on this.
Modo likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.