Why no middle name?

Old Jan 20, 2020, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
A middle name on a ticket is not required in the US, afaik.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brunos
I have a middle name and never put it on the ticket as I only have my first name on my FFP.
I have never, never been questioned in the USA.
I wasn't clear. It's never come up in relation to air travel, but in other common interactions involving ID, like banking or insurance. And it's not obtrusive. Just the "no middle name?" And most every one I know has a middle name, so I get the question.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 7:56 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Paren
I usually put my middle name in the field for First Name or Given Name (just in case of any issues) when booking. But like others have said, I've also not had any issues with BA but it's just a habit I have especially when travelling with other carriers.

E.g.

Given Name: FIRSTNAME MIDDLENAME
Surname: SURNAME
Yes but you are unique in that your first name and middle name appear to actually be FIRSTNAME MIDDLENAME so you are safe no matter what.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 8:09 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by LondonElite
No airline cares about middle names. Not in Europe and not in North America.
Asian airlines, and particularly Cathay Pacific, care about middle names due to most Chinese names being three characters. There are fewer family names in Chinese than there are in western names, and the first character of the given name within a family is often the same for all children.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 11:32 pm

Programs: QFF, VA, IHG
Mrs Aus ATC has a hyphenated first name, but no middle name. Invariably a drama, as many systems cannot accommodate the "-". We either just book her with the first part (by which she is commonly known), or sometimes string the 2 parts together.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by brunos
I have a middle name and never put it on the ticket as I only have my first name on my FFP.
I have never, never been questioned in the USA.
exactly the same here, and exactly the same when I’ve travelled on Chinese airlines too (mainland, Hong Kong, and Taiwan alike). I’ve never been on any airline which has raised issue about middle name not being on the booking despite it showing on my passport nd I fly about 30 different airlines every year.

incidentally I hate it when hosts have booked my ticket and included middle name or title as you then need to enter the exact combination they chose under first name to retrieve a booking...
Old Jan 21, 2020, 1:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I knew a guy in the RAF who had 6 or 7 first names. He was known as "A to Z B*******"" .

Last edited by T8191; Jan 21, 2020 at 8:21 am
Old Jan 21, 2020, 2:12 am

My pet hate on name conventions is using firstname middle initial lastname such as Jane B Gomez. I see it a lot in the US. To me it is neither fish nor fowl. Use the name or don't use it but putting the middle initial in is just ugly.

And then some people introduce themselves in that form too. My middle name has the same number of syllables as its initial, so it's not even saving any breath.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 2:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gshumway
I don't have a middle name and haven't been questioned about it once in 20+ years in the States. /shrug.
Same same. Never ever been an issue
Old Jan 21, 2020, 2:41 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by sxc
Asian airlines, and particularly Cathay Pacific, care about middle names due to most Chinese names being three characters. There are fewer family names in Chinese than there are in western names, and the first character of the given name within a family is often the same for all children.
That may be true, but on my many flights with SQ, CX, and TG, I have never volunteered, nor been asked, about any middle names.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 2:51 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by sxc
The first character of the given name can be a generational name, at least in some areas. Although there are separate male/female generational names. In the area my wife is from it is the custom for the paternal grandfather to give the child their name. So all of a grandfather's son's children will have the same surname and same male/female generational name. My wife's father has plenty of brothers, with children, so she has many cousins with the same surname/first character. If Asian airlines allowed one character to mismatch like European/American airlines tickets would be transferable quite widely through the family.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 3:03 am

The above discussion on the intricacies of names in different cultural contexts reminds me of this nearly ten year old blog post, Falsehoods Programmers Believe About Names.

The whole thing is worth a read if you’re interested in this kind of thing, and is too long to quote fully, but it is a witty exposition of the assumptions programmers (and all of us) instinctively make on this topic due to our own cultural backgrounds.

I have lived in Japan for several years, programming in a professional capacity, and I have broken many systems by the simple expedient of being introduced into them. ​​... I’ve worked with Big Freaking Enterprises which, by dint of doing business globally, have theoretically designed their systems to allow all names to work in them. I have never seen a computer system which handles names properly and doubt one exists, anywhere.

So, as a public service, I’m going to list assumptions your systems probably make about names. All of these assumptions are wrong. Try to make less of them next time you write a system which touches names.
  • People have exactly one canonical full name.
  • People have exactly one full name which they go by.
  • People have, at this point in time, exactly one canonical full name.
  • People have, at this point in time, one full name which they go by.
  • People have exactly N names, for any value of N.
  • People’s names fit within a certain defined amount of space.
  • People’s names do not change.
  • People’s names change, but only at a certain enumerated set of events.
  • People’s first names and last names are, by necessity, different.
  • People have last names, family names, or anything else which is shared by folks recognized as their relatives.
  • People’s names are globally unique.
  • People’s names are almost globally unique.
  • Alright alright but surely people’s names are diverse enough such that no million people share the same name.
  • My system will never have to deal with names from China.
  • Or Japan.
  • Or Korea.
  • Or Ireland, the United Kingdom, the United States, Spain, Mexico, Brazil, Peru, Russia, Sweden, Botswana, South Africa, Trinidad, Haiti, France, or the Klingon Empire, all of which have “weird” naming schemes in common use.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 3:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
I have a middle name but I never use it; neither for air travel - I have never had any issues (I have taken hundreds of flights). Adding the middle name only complicates things.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 3:12 am
Original Poster

I guess in the past the language of “booking name must match exactly as it appears on passport” is where I’ve been concerned.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 3:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by expateacher
I guess in the past the language of “booking name must match exactly as it appears on passport” is where I’ve been concerned.
Understandable, but in reality even small mistakes (1-2 characters wrong) are routinely accepted.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.