FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   The Hoover Free Flights Fiasco (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/2005323-hoover-free-flights-fiasco.html)

SA100 Jan 20, 2020 10:02 am

The Hoover Free Flights Fiasco

I know not technically a BA related, but I'm sure many older BA FT members took up this insane offer in the early 90's - its an incredible fiasco with the US flights. Spend £100 and get 2 Return flights to NYC or Florida. The deal of the decade. Did anyone get one of these free flights? How many hoovers did you buy?

A clip from a BBC doc below goes into some more detail.

Would love an offer like this to happen in 2020. ;)

PUCCI GALORE Jan 20, 2020 10:17 am

Originally Posted by SA100 (Post 31973179)
I know not technically a BA related, but I'm sure many older BA FT members took up this insane offer in the early 90's - its an incredible fiasco with the US flights. Spend £100 and get 2 Return flights to NYC or Florida. The deal of the decade. Did anyone get one of these free flights? How many hoovers did you buy?

Before this gets padlocked, I'll say that yes - I remember this and it was an absolute fiasco. There were flights offered but they were on strange days and even stranger times - and yes, I know someone who did manage to go on one. I'd forgotten that it was Hover. However, this has absolutely nothing to do with BA as you say.

DYKWIA Jan 20, 2020 10:21 am

A friend managed to get one. He had to jump through all sorts of hoops, but was very persistent and just accepted the flights he was given. ISTR he flew with Virgin.

SA100 Jan 20, 2020 10:24 am

They did Charter entire aircraft - maybe they chartered from BA ? - did anyone get Avios did they provide full BA service. ;) Trying to find a BA connection.

Such an amusing story.

Globaliser Jan 20, 2020 10:26 am

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE (Post 31973230)
However, this has absolutely nothing to do with BA as you say.

Was the offer for economy flights only? If so, it would probably have been of no interest to BAEC FT, either! ;)

gw76 Jan 20, 2020 10:27 am

Watchdog's Anne Robinson would be spinning in her... oh wait...

DoctorCopper Jan 20, 2020 10:28 am

I believe the Hoover flights fiasco was in 1992. Avios had yet to be created. It was Air Miles in the 1990s.

Doc Copper

Prospero Jan 20, 2020 10:28 am

Originally Posted by SA100 (Post 31973257)
They did Charter entire aircraft - maybe they chartered from BA ? - did anyone get Avios did they provide full BA service. ;) Trying to find a BA connection.

Such an amusing story.

Back then, only full fare tickets earned points (or AirMiles as they called at the time). Good question though :)

golfmad Jan 20, 2020 10:32 am

It also has its own Wikipedia page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoover...ghts_promotion

Swanhunter Jan 20, 2020 10:35 am

In marketing circles it is a classic case study of “when things go wrong” so unlikely anything similar would happen.

Anyhow, who wants to fly Y to the US 😉

PUCCI GALORE Jan 20, 2020 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by Swanhunter (Post 31973306)
In marketing circles it is a classic case study of “when things go wrong” so unlikely anything similar would happen.

Anyhow, who wants to fly Y to the US 😉

Back then, my Love, no one thought that J would be as affordable as it is and upgrading was unheard of in Europe.

MarkFlies Jan 20, 2020 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by SA100 (Post 31973257)
... Trying to find a BA connection.

You just say, "and its effect on BA". :p

So, if you wanted to talk about Ancient Greece, you would say Icarus and his effect on BA - then off you go.

bigshooter Jan 20, 2020 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by SA100 (Post 31973179)

A clip from a BBC doc below goes into some more detail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGVe2l0baoI

Check out the Citi AA thread....

T8191 Jan 20, 2020 1:00 pm

Well I guess there is a hint of BA relevance, with the difficulty even seasoned travellers here have with cashing in Avios or Amex 2-4-1 vouchers.

Watch this space? Especially if there are any majorly disadvantageous changes made to those programs.

secretmachines Jan 20, 2020 1:09 pm

deleted