Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA33 - Malaysia (Domestic) connect times at KLIA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2020, 5:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver

Hi there
Heading into KUL next month in club (Amex). Flight lands 15.45 and need to take Malaysian domestic onward to BKI (will be separate tickets). How likely am I to make the 19.00 flight?
Also, Will I need to collect the bags on arrival at KUL and leave airside before checking in?
Thanks you
Michelle
Old Jan 20, 2020, 5:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Very similar thread running a few lines down...

LHR -> KUL -> LGK how long to transfer in KUL?

Plus a few older ones for reference

KUL connection time
BA33 KUL transfer to MH 790 (PHUKET)
Malaysia connection
Old Jan 20, 2020, 6:36 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by michelledrage
Hi there
Heading into KUL next month in club (Amex). Flight lands 15.45 and need to take Malaysian domestic onward to BKI (will be separate tickets). How likely am I to make the 19.00 flight?
Also, Will I need to collect the bags on arrival at KUL and leave airside before checking in?
Thanks you
Michelle
BA won't check your bags through on separate tickets, so you'll have to go through baggage claim, immigration (which can be slow), customs, then domestic check in (which is fairly quick) and security. I'd be comfortable with three hours on hand-baggage only, and I might even take the risk with a checked bag, but only if I had an inexpensive plan B lined up.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 7:19 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by armouredant
only if I had an inexpensive plan B lined up.
Domestic flights in Malaysia tend to be quite inexpensive even a day before, so depending on your budget and risk tolerance, I think that's likely to be the case most of the time.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 7:32 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
As others have said, you would have to collect and re-check any checked in bags. Obviously unforeseen things happen, but in general that is a connection I would not hesitate to make.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
You are extremely likely to make your connection. If you travel in J you have special lanes for immigration. Even in J it can be a bit slow, but even if you spend an hour, your bags will be waiting for you.
Do not go to the immigration lanes for domestic transfer as you need to collect your bags.
Even if you miss, MH has several flights to BKI at 8pm, 9pm, 10pm.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 8:57 am

Programs: BA Gold, Amex Plat
Deplane BA33 ASAP and take Train from Satellite to Min terminal/Immigration, keep Biz boarding card(s) and use 1st/Biz Class Immigration (they will ask for boarding card), bags usually off and onto belt after 30m, exit and take escalator or lift upstairs to Departures, check in bags at MAS (middle of departures) then head for Domestic departures (left side of departures), should be plenty of time unless very delayed at take off from LHR. There is free WiFi at KLIA to check your onward flight gate and time, but it is turned off whilst in Immigration. Enjoy Kota Kinabalu!
charlie1092 and groovy_dhruvy like this.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 9:06 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
You don't have a connection, so any privileges and protections that affords are gone. It is very hard to know what circumstances leading to delays occur on the day, so the best that anyone can say is that if you land on time and there are no obstacles in your way, you should be able to catch your MH flight.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 9:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver
Thanks Mike - really really helpful. So if I were to try for the 17.45 to SDK instead, what do you reckon my chances, assuming inbound BA is on time?
BW
Michelle
Old Jan 20, 2020, 10:21 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Too tight for me. If in Business/First you would still be looking at 45min to get landside, then only have about 15 min to get your bag through the airport and checked in. It's still possible but it's not worth the stress.

In economy it's more likely than not that you would miss a 2h "connection" on separate tickets.

If hand baggage only I'd do it, but never with luggage even as a status passenger in a premium cabin.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 3:40 pm

Hi there
Thanks you
Michelle
Do read the threads suggested by mikeyfly and also check the MH threads. You do not need to go landside. Go to the MH counter in the satellite terminal and have them check you in and transfer bags.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 3:43 pm

Another poster’s experience is that if your MH domestic ticket is in business then you would be allowed to use the satellite lounges. Otherwise lounge access in the domestic terminal (if you have status etc).
Old Jan 20, 2020, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Thanks Mike - really really helpful. So if I were to try for the 17.45 to SDK instead, what do you reckon my chances, assuming inbound BA is on time?
BW
Michelle
I believe that the flight you mention to SDK is Air Asia (AK). Then its impossible. AK operates from a different terminal rather far away.
Even if MH, that would be lot of stress
michelledrage likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 3:56 pm

Programs: BA Gold (and other non-status plastic)
Originally Posted by bchang
You do not need to go landside. Go to the MH counter in the satellite terminal and have them check you in and transfer bags.
Originally Posted by bchang
Another poster’s experience is that if your MH domestic ticket is in business then you would be allowed to use the satellite lounges.
Neither of these is a published benefit, so I would not be willing to do either. By the time you faff around, and if they say no, the queue will have built up in immigration, and, as others have said, it is slow

Back to the OP, 3:15hrs is a risk I'd personally be willing to take on separate tickets, with a high chance of comfortably making it if you don't dally. But I probably wouldn't do less than 3 hours, given BA33's less-than-stellar on-time record, so I wouldn't do SDK at 17:45
michelledrage likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 4:05 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
There is a 19.30 MH flight which you might want to consider if the connecting time feels too tight. I did an I-I connection last week at KUL and had to go from terminal to midfield. It took no time. The gate security took an age though. Maybe 100 in the queue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.