Wiki Posts
Search

Economy Basic Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2020, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Virgin Flying Club Silver
Economy Basic Upgrades

Hi all - I’m struggling to find an exact answer searching the topics but there’s some amazing New York fares available currently (£69 for the return leg) in economy - and loads of Avios availability - are economy basic long haul fares eligible for upgrades - it’s been years since I’ve booked an economy ticket !
Old Jan 19, 2020, 9:06 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Chris9642
are economy basic long haul fares eligible for upgrades
Cash upgrades: POUG and AUP - yes, see the two threads in the Dashboard.

Avios upgrades - well probably not. It's not the fare per se, but the fare bucket. Q, O and G are the cheap ones and they do not allow upgrades. N, L, M etc are OK for Upgrade using Avios. These fare buckets are not directly related to Basic fares on BA (but they are on AA) since Standard Economy also books into the same buckets. Since you can only UuA one cabin, and since APD at the higher rate applies on WTP, it's often not that efficient to UuA from WT to WTP in the UK-USA direction. It can be on the return. More details in the Spending Avios guide sticky.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 9:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Virgin Flying Club Silver
Thanks - how do you see the fare bucket your booking on the app when you buy economy ?
Old Jan 19, 2020, 9:11 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Chris9642
Thanks - how do you see the fare bucket your booking on the app when you buy economy ?
Check the hyperlink "More Fight Details". But if it's cheap it's probably "O". It's easier on the full website.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 9:21 am

Programs: BA Silver
It's quite easy to see on the app. When you select the flights and it takes you to the page with the fare breakdown- the one immediately after selecting the two flights, tap on either of them at the top and it will display the fare bucket, type of aircraft etc.

As mentioned above, £69 is highly likely to be O and non upgradeable.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 10:33 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Where the £69 O fares are available, straight premium economy is only about £200. As such, an upgrade is likely to be a very poor use of Avios, especially if there is a corresponding difference in charges. Now upgrading from that cheap premium economy is another matter...
Old Jan 19, 2020, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by Cymro
Where the £69 O fares are available, straight premium economy is only about £200. As such, an upgrade is likely to be a very poor use of Avios, especially if there is a corresponding difference in charges. Now upgrading from that cheap premium economy is another matter...
Upgrading from WTP-J can be a bit of a sweet spot. I'm doing INV-LHR-KIX in December, W sale fare was £700. UUA was the avios 72k + £137 (LHR-KIX legs) Vs a J Fare ex INV on those dates of £3,500. All WTP fares are upgradable regardless of price
TTmex likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 11:23 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Originally Posted by Cw novice
All WTP fares are upgradable regardless of price
Not necessarily true. Some agents sell unbundled ex flight+hotel flights which can't be upgraded from WTP to Club as they come from a special bucket. Amex travel are a prime source if this from time to time.

Its rare I grant you, but I have seen them and I bet others have too.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by sunshinebob
Not necessarily true. Some agents sell unbundled ex flight+hotel flights which can't be upgraded from WTP to Club as they come from a special bucket. Amex travel are a prime source if this from time to time.

Its rare I grant you, but I have seen them and I bet others have too.
Apologies I hadn't realised that, am I right that all WTP buckets sold directly by BA are upgradable
Old Jan 19, 2020, 11:45 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Originally Posted by Cw novice
Apologies I hadn't realised that, am I right that all WTP buckets sold directly by BA are upgradable
I dont know if BA.com do sell these "bulk type" fares (could be fare bucket B?) - sorry..

Its normally a tavel agent like the aforementioned Amex (or someone like Sandals)..

Others will know for sure and be along to clarify the situation.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by sunshinebob
I dont know if BA.com do sell these "bulk type" fares (could be fare bucket B?) - sorry..

Its normally a tavel agent like the aforementioned Amex (or someone like Sandals)..

Others will know for sure and be along to clarify the situation.
Bulk / inclusive tour / consolidation tickets in WTP are sometimes not upgradeable via UuA, due to the fact the fare is non-public and therefore it's not possible to recalculate the taxes etc. Also some agencies may cook together on a joint business route using Iberia or AA ticketing stock, also not UuA. So yes there are some WTP tickets which cannot be upgraded using Avios. Some can't even be upgraded using AUP. They won't be in fare bucket B - that's just a flexible economy ticket on BA, or a Basic fare on AA.
Cw novice likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.