I just SO hate the check in at CDG

Old Jan 20, 2020, 2:40 am

Programs: QRPC
Originally Posted by SKRan
It’s probably not an attitude problem. When your English is over simplified, it sounds direct and that is often considered rude by a fluent speaker. This has been discussed elsewhere.

- put your bag here.
- please place your luggage here.

- go away.
- is there anything else I can do for you, sir?

- passport?
- may I have your passport please?
True, I remember to get a taste of that when I was a child. I was in an icehockey training camp in the french speaking part of Switzerland. I was about 10 years old probably. Everytime the kids have been told to do something, they have said it in French and in German since some kids were speaking French only and some German only. In French it has always being said in a very polite way like: "Allons ŕ la patinoire s'il vous plaît" and in German they said: "Geht zur Halle!" so no "please" whatsoever.
It left the impression on the 10year old me, that they were intentionally trying to bully us. But it was probably just their German skill that didn't allow them to say it any differently.
SKRan likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 2:44 am

Originally Posted by 13901
I take it you've never been to Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan, Tajikistan or Kyrgyzstan then.
lol no, correct me if I'm wrong, but none of those countries are in Europe. And I'm pretty sure you won't get anywhere with French there either.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 3:00 am
Formerly known as newbie elite

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, Accor Platinum, AC50K
Originally Posted by Splendiz
It is nothing but ridiculous to deny that English is the global language. Has absolutely nothing to do with England nowadays, it's just a fact. If you're working in any job where you have contact with tourists or foreigners, you should be okay with speaking English to them. Works everywhere in the world except for France/Romandy/Quebec.
Name me one touristic area in Québec where people aren't bilingual or are you just spewing more stereotypical drivel (you forget Wallonie, Luxembourg, and a large part of Africa in your comprehensive no-go list).
Old Jan 20, 2020, 3:02 am

lol no, correct me if I'm wrong, but none of those countries are in Europe. And I'm pretty sure you won't get anywhere with French there either.
Your post said (bolding mine):

If you are anywhere in the world and you don't speak the local language. What is the language you will have the most success in being able to communicate (other than the language of love, lol) ?
Old Jan 20, 2020, 3:14 am

Originally Posted by dnajockey
A fascinating thread. For five years I was split between Paris and London, so was a regular through ORY, CDG and the Eurostar. With moderate to medium French, I never felt any "attitude", bit did see it on occasion to , erm... less experienced tourists.
Cultural differences and all that.
It is.

You have some rude and unprofessional staff in every airport in the world, but CDG certainly isn't one that stands out. Like a poster mentioned, for those of you who think CDG is bad, try EWR, and this is assuming one speaks fluent English. If not, I have no idea how anyone navigates any airport in the US.

PS - When it comes to being abrasive to novice travelers and/or tourists, JFK's TSA & local frequent travelers can be pretty abrasive, and I've seen much worst than anything in CDG.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 3:32 am

English is understood and spoken to a degree at pretty much any place in the world that has international visitors.
The French for some reason seem to have a bee in their bonnet about the English language and seem to be almost reluctant to have to use it.
I have had some shocking interactions with French people working in tourist heavy places. The rudeness and bluntness completely out of place in such touristic places.

As another poster implied, English is the de facto international / business language, whether you like it or not.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 3:39 am

Originally Posted by 13901
Your post said (bolding mine):

If you are anywhere in the world and you don't speak the local language. What is the language you will have the most success in being able to communicate (other than the language of love, lol) ?
Correct, it was an answer to "rickg523" who was talking about Europe. But what I wrote above was meant generally. What language will you most likely be able to communicate other than the local language. Also in Uzbekistan or whereever, it will still be English I assume.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 3:39 am

Programs: BA Gold
I wish someone would tell UEFA that, but that's a whole different matter.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 3:48 am

Originally Posted by Admiral Ackbar
Name me one touristic area in Québec where people aren't bilingual or are you just spewing more stereotypical drivel (you forget Wallonie, Luxembourg, and a large part of Africa in your comprehensive no-go list).
Well that is getting out of context. I never said they are not able to speak English. I actually said (or at least tried to say) the exact opposite. Everyone in Quebec can speak both languages. But if you speak English instead of French, in some places they will make you feel that it is not appreciated that you don't speak french. At least that was the case when I was there 15 years ago. Other than that, Canadians are the most polite people you could imagine, ey. :P
wanderingjock likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 4:05 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Well then we agree to disagree I guess. If you are anywhere in the world and you don't speak the local language. What is the language you will have the most success in being able to communicate (other than the language of love, lol) ?
If the answer is anything else but English, you are either in a partly french speaking country or your answer is not correct.
I have yet to find a place in Europe where you cannot get around with English. The only place which I don't feel very enthusiastic to travel to is France because many people there make you feel uncomfortable when you don't speak the language perfectly even-though they would be able to speak English without a problem. I do have basic knowledge in French because we learn it in elementary school here, but if you start to speak French in France, chances are high that your dialog partner will not do anything to make sure you'll understand what he said. Even when you ask him/her to speak slowly, they will most probably just continue to talk just as fast and use fancy words like before.

The other things you said are undisputed, obviously it is nice etiquette to learn basic words, phrases when you go to a place.
Germany in some remote and not so remote corner (some security staff of FRA or STR do not know English).
Spain is several places, Italy too.
Czech republic with old people or bus drivers (and generally speaking most of eastern Europe), Slovakia.

Your assumption is wrong. While in some parts of France English speaking is an issue (due to lack of education for people more than 40 years old and/or pride/culture), the remaining is no worse than its neighbor, UK included (which is where you will find the least understood and clear English of the world: https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article...-communicators)
Old Jan 20, 2020, 4:16 am

Programs: BA Silver, AF Ivory
Well that is getting out of context. I never said they are not able to speak English. I actually said (or at least tried to say) the exact opposite. Everyone in Quebec can speak both languages. But if you speak English instead of French, in some places they will make you feel that it is not appreciated that you don't speak french. At least that was the case when I was there 15 years ago. Other than that, Canadians are the most polite people you could imagine, ey. :P
Well it's only n=1 but last year I was shopping in Quebec City with my (French) wife for a cycling jersey. We spoke to the shop assistant in French, and then to each other in English - the assistant was genuinely surprised that we spoke both languages. The episode stuck in my head as it seemed so strange to me - I had made the assumption the Quebecois were bilingual.

(Off-topic, great place to visits, esp. if you use the (slow but huge fun) trains to get around the province).
Splendiz likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 4:29 am

Correct, it was an answer to "rickg523" who was talking about Europe. But what I wrote above was meant generally. What language will you most likely be able to communicate other than the local language. Also in Uzbekistan or whereever, it will still be English I assume.
Off topic, but over there it’d be Russian apart from younger generations in the largest cities (and even they’ll be more familiar with Russian).
Splendiz likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 6:05 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

I had to work in Paris for around 9 months in 2016. I hated the place. Everything was a challenge... from the filth on the trains, strikes, taxis having no idea where they were going, hotels closing their restaurants as the staff were on holiday, office lunches that went on for 2 hours every day. I could write a book about how much I hated it.

However, I found the French people to be very nice. My French is null, but my approach was always something along the lines of "Bonjour, I'm very sorry, but I'm English and don't speak French". That seemed to always get a smile for some reason... and then good service. For the places where English was an issue - the old "point at something you recognise on the menu" approach always worked, alongside "une bičre, svp".

And don't get me started about having to shake hands with the whole office every day
Old Jan 20, 2020, 6:07 am
Accor 10+ BadgeHilton 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
But not a problem with having to do La Bise every day ?
Old Jan 20, 2020, 6:08 am

Programs: Marco Polo Diamond, Flying Blue Platinum for Life, GHA Black, IHG Platinum
I didn't realise how many small minded people there were on this forum until I started reading this thread.
rickg523 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.