Wiki Posts
Search

BA and Avis car rentals.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2020, 6:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime Platinum
BA and Avis car rentals.

I'm looking to book a car with BA which appears to be a very competitive rate.

Could anybody advise...do the rates increase the nearer to the date required ?

Thanks.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 7:06 am

Programs: BAEC
I use three different sites to check rates depending on what you want to achieve with your overall booking. You can try BA.com, direct with Avis (then add your Exec number) or the third is...

https://www.carhire-ba.com/

This is an BA/Avis site. Sometimes the prices can vary across all 3. I have found this for Spain and the US.

As for nearer the time, I guess that’s all down to availability and whether it’s a popular destination or popular time of year. Rates do change and I don’t believe it’s as simple as prices increase as time depletes.
T8191 likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 12:27 pm

Programs: BA GOLD
Originally Posted by mike turnbull

Thanks.
I have booked a fair few cars at the same time as my flight and for places like Mainland Spain and the Canaries only paid £1.60 for a car for the week. Yes I did get the price right one hundred and sixty pence!!

No brainier in my book
Old Jan 19, 2020, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
I use three different sites to check rates depending on what you want to achieve with your overall booking. You can try BA.com, direct with Avis (then add your Exec number) or the third is...

https://www.carhire-ba.com/

This is an BA/Avis site. Sometimes the prices can vary across all 3. I have found this for Spain and the US.

As for nearer the time, I guess that’s all down to availability and whether it’s a popular destination or popular time of year. Rates do change and I don’t believe it’s as simple as prices increase as time depletes.
I do this too. After that, it's on to avis dot country-you're-visiting. After that, it's the Aussies who sometimes have cheap prices.

Next repeat all with the BA code.

Do I have some sort of problem?
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 12:58 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Although in the US there are routinely extra charges which yoj have to pay back. A random 22 USD on my most recent rental which BA then refunded.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The only persons that could answer that reliably are FTers equipped with a fully functioning crystal ball. On the whole, rental car rates do tend to increase as you get nearer to the date, especially if it is a high season date (summer holidays, etc...) but there is no systematic pattern. I have also seen rates drop considerably or various promotions slashing the price down temporarily with no systematic pattern to it.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 3:53 am

Programs: BA Gold

Thanks.
My own attitude is your don't need the best deal, just one you're happy with. The price is dependant of so many factors that once you see a rate you like just book it. Personally for the USA I've been finding better rates on Hertz of late. Don't be swayed by a few hundred Avios, if you think of them as 1p you're unlikely to get so many it matters. I like the all-in rates with CDW and SLI or whatever that particular company calls it. I've also found that it's a good idea to check all types, not just what you think you want. often because of how the rates are calculated a 'better' car can be cheaper.

The BA rates with Avis do include an extra driver for free if that's a factor.

Also, if you do use Avis or Hertz sign up to their programs, the status is nothing, but if you put your details in your profile with them, driving license and two credit cards, they'll often have the car in marked bay, you skip the desk go to the garage find your car and leave, the exit barrier person prints the contract. Much quicker and avoids the tedious upsell. Doesn't always work, but when it does, and you've walked by a queue of 30 people at the desk if feels like a win.
T8191 likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 5:56 am

Originally Posted by NickB
The only persons that could answer that reliably are FTers equipped with a fully functioning crystal ball. On the whole, rental car rates do tend to increase as you get nearer to the date, especially if it is a high season date (summer holidays, etc...) but there is no systematic pattern. I have also seen rates drop considerably or various promotions slashing the price down temporarily with no systematic pattern to it.
Yes, this. I tend to lock in at a rate I am happy, but I check occasionally and have had success upgrading to a better group because the rates have fallen.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 1:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime Platinum
All good advice as I expected. Thanks again.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 1:13 am

Programs: BAEC - Gold
If booked as a BA holiday, it can be worth ringing them during a sale and asking to upgrade / downgrade a previously booked car. I once had a refund of about £150 after upgrading to an estate as it was then in a big sale. The call centre were a bit surprised, but “computer said yes” and it was processed.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 4:27 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Sixt Platinum, HHons Diamond
I would point out that if you like to hire luxury cars in Europe, Avis is not a good choice. I ended up switching to Sixt after several cases of being forced to take vehicles that I was told were in the same class as what I had booked (ie Citreon Xsara instead of Mercedes E Class or equivalent). I was President's Club at the time so was supposed to be getting upgrades too. In my experience they just don't have luxury vehicles at a lot of locations despite accepting the bookings.

Having said all that if you are booking normal vehicles their pricing and service was often good.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.