Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Am I crazy thinking of squeezing a trip to LA a few days before my next booking?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Am I crazy thinking of squeezing a trip to LA a few days before my next booking?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2020, 8:01 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I can understand the temptation. I like Los Angeles, too. I think people who live there take it for granted.

It looks like you would still be back home for two full days to rest in between trips. If you had to go back to work those two days, I'd say forget it. But that's enough time for you to do laundry, re-pack, etc., as well as get plenty of rest, since you're just hanging out.

Sounds like you're still pretty young--you should go. Invest in experiences before it gets too hard for you.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 9:25 pm

I see nothing wrong with this idea. But U.S. immigration might, seeing these trips so close to each other. Just make sure you're not running afoul of some visa regulations.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 9:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Executive Club - Gold, HH - Gold, Marriott - Gold
Originally Posted by Alec84
I could go to LA for just a couple of days from Europe. Even in Y. Especially in the winter when TATL flights tend to be less full in Y. Go for it and enjoy the cloudless skies and everything else!
Is that going to be an issue?
Old Jan 18, 2020, 9:56 pm
Original Poster

For anyone curious about prices flying Wednesday 22/1 and coming back Saturday 25/1 (arrive 26/1) flight only is between £700-900 which is expensive.

Interestingly BA holidays brings up those same flights and staying at Knotts Berry Landing at £492 - I realise that hotel is rubbish so the nicest one I can find that isn't what I consider over priced is The Beverly Hilton which is £991 for flights and 3 nights.

If I were to use Avios I am looking at all of my avios plus £360 roughtly; I also have 115,000 Hilton points so I could stay at the H Hotel LAX for all my points and about £250. Which is clearly cheaper.

But neither seems a particularly good deal to me...
One comment on BA Holidays is the hotels now coming up seem to be much better overall than I have seen before. I am getting the Santa Monica Proper where I stayed in November which is fantastic and the brand new West Hollywood Edition (for £5,000! definitely cheaper to book room separately here) as well as the added Mr and Mrs Smith Hotels and the usual luxury hotels.

Really for me to go I need to be sure that I don't have US immigration issues and I want a good deal. £500ish would be acceptable but my avios and hilton points is coming out a bit above that.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by Spinstorm
I have a week in New Orleans booked for 29th January.
On Thursday night, go see the Preservation All Stars with Charlie Gabriel at Preservation Hall. Then, if you've never see the Soul Rebels at Le Bon Temps Roule on a Thursday night, you're going to want to do that (though it's an 11pm start, and will go to 2am, so nap during the day).
Meschiya Lake is at the Starlight Lounge and Walter "Wolfman" Washington is at the Maple Leaf on Friday night. You might be able to hit both.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 10:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Just do it
you will have fond memories of the trip
Old Jan 18, 2020, 11:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

You are bored, so to relieve it you are thinking of spending over 11 hours sitting on a plane to fly across the atlantic to then 2 days later spend over 11 hours sitting on a plane overnight

I think that the answer to the question posed is Yes
pacenotes and Misco60 like this.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 2:41 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
I would do it in a heartbeat if I was bored and had the free time - albeit not in Y!
Old Jan 19, 2020, 2:54 am

Programs: BAEC Silver/OW Sapphire
I’d definitely do the trip, but not in Y. I would look at cash bookings in W and use a few Avios to bring down the cost if no reward seats in W.

Might even be able to UUA to J if seats available.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 6:10 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I don’t really find Europe that interesting if I am honest.
Indeed. It's a shame that there's nothing in Berlin, Stockholm, Rome, the Swiss Alps, the Mediterranean or Peloponnese to compare with the culture and attractions of Los Angeles. I really don't know how you'd fill a whole weekend in Europe.

Old Jan 19, 2020, 7:36 am

Programs: CK or bust
Do what makes you happy.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 7:45 am

Programs: BAEC, Ib+, Accor, HHonors
I don´t think it makes him happy. My suspicion is that he thinks that when he´s back from the trip, "it was a waste of time and $/miles/points".
Old Jan 19, 2020, 8:11 am
Original Poster

No I wouldn’t regret it. I find nothing more relaxing that sitting on that beach in Santa Monica and the perfect weather of California. (Even if it’s not that perfect maybe right now).

But I am definitely sensitive to the cost considering I just returned from Nashville and off to New Orleans. The timing and that cost is all that are making me unsure. If it was a case of no other trips planned I’d book it without even thinking.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 8:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by enpremiere
Do what makes you happy.
Indeed....and then they'll only have themselves to blame if it doesn't turn out to be as enjoyable as a weekend away in Glasgow eating a fish supper....just watch out for the odd bone.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 8:25 am

Programs: Alaska, American, Delta, Aer Lingus, Hilton, Marriott, Hyatt
I have a week in New Orleans booked for 29th January. I just returned on Wednesday from Nashville (Chicken bone gate lol).

I am currently in a jobless limbo waiting for my new job to start in February and I am incredibly bored.
I potentially could make an avios booking for next Wednesday to Saturday in Economy to LA but I think that’s a bit crazy.
(Love the weather in California).

As just a few days later I am off again. I am thinking I will feel unwell from travelling that much in that short a time period.

But with nothing else to do it is definitely something that I am tempted to do. I have travelled quite a bit over the last 2 years but I am by no means the most travelled here so is it a good idea or a stupid one?
Yes you are crazy. If you love the weather, go to San Diego

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.