Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

No catering on long-haul flights out of T5 today

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No catering on long-haul flights out of T5 today

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2020, 7:49 am

I guess it is a regulatory and/or thing that prevents the airline from going out and buying backup food? Be nice if they could even try, instead of simply saying No Catering Sorry.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 8:25 am

Programs: Swiss Senator, Flying Blue Gold, BA EC Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Happy to see the GG trucks loading my PKX flight right now. I’m still quite full from the burger in the lounge but no catering at all would have been quite brutal.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 10:09 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
LOL @ BA
Except this is nothing to do with BA. Just because you have a grudge...
Old Jan 18, 2020, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by mctaste
I guess it is a regulatory and/or thing that prevents the airline from going out and buying backup food? Be nice if they could even try, instead of simply saying No Catering Sorry.
We are talking about thousands of meals. It's not like nipping into Sainburys for a pint of milk because the Co-op sold out.

And an alternative company isn't going to be able to produce thousands of meals at the drop of a hat either.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 12:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
Originally Posted by itsmeitisss
Except this is nothing to do with BA. Just because you have a grudge...
And by "grudge", you mean "an accurate portrayal of BA's incompetency", right?
Old Jan 18, 2020, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
We are talking about thousands of meals. It's not like nipping into Sainburys for a pint of milk because the Co-op sold out.

And an alternative company isn't going to be able to produce thousands of meals at the drop of a hat either.
it doesnt have to be meals. think of all the various kinds of pre packaged food in storage at the airport. just to get *something* onboard.

a few crates of bottled water, at least!
Old Jan 18, 2020, 12:26 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
there are crates of water available at T5 already and I have experienced them being loaded and distributed whilst on the ground during significant delays.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Am not sure there are loads of pre packaged food available at LHR.

In any case the issue wasn't with the food production but a problem with getting it out of the factory and to the planes.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 1:08 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Can I help you
These services are currently being loaded: BA052, BA175, BA065, BA283, BA285,BA139 all these services are currently 30 - 45 minutes delayed.

DO & Co.
BA165, BA233, BA075, BA235, BA007, BA019, BA017, BA005, 147, BA149, BA171, BA261, BA031, BA155,BA027, BA163, BA237, BA083 plus JFK flights.
Thanks for the list!

Do they only supply BA31 to HKG or BA27 too?
Old Jan 18, 2020, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
The 027 as well.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 7:38 pm

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by BlooJoo
And by "grudge", you mean "an accurate portrayal of BA's incompetency", right?
No a reference to the poster's "scam" post.
1Aturnleft and krispy84 like this.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 8:14 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
LOL @ BA
Glad you were able to add something useful to the thread. Why don’t you just stick to other airlines from now on, you clearly can’t stand BA.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 8:33 pm

Programs: CK or bust
In spite of the catering load issue, amazingly the meal service took the same amount of time!
Old Jan 19, 2020, 2:58 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Originally Posted by krispy84
Glad you were able to add something useful to the thread. Why don’t you just stick to other airlines from now on, you clearly can’t stand BA.
+1 indeed!

Good to see the problem resolved!
Old Jan 19, 2020, 4:41 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear

it doesnt have to be meals. think of all the various kinds of pre packaged food in storage at the airport. just to get *something* onboard.

I feel so sorry for BA, their passengers and for Gate Gourmet in this situation. Passengers think it's very simple to cater an aircraft but it is an incredibly complicated logistics operation.

All long haul catering starts being prepared 6 hours before a flight. It is all freshly prepared each day and has to meet a "gold standard" in layout on the tray, the combinations of meals, different menus depending on destination,, the differing aircraft configurations in layout and cabins (not all planes are identical). Passenger loads also have an impact. Then there are the drinks, both alcoholic and non-alcoholic. And all the glasses, crockery and cutlery, condiments and snacks and thousands of other things that need to be transported to the correct aircraft at the correct gate getting through security in time.

If Gate Gourmet suffered a power failure at the loading bays there's very little they can do. They will have been doing everything possible to rectify the issue. Bear in mind the lost revenue can't be made up as they won't be paid for flights they fail to cater and there won't be extra flights to cater to make up for it.

It's a very low margin business too.

Last edited by AJA_; Jan 19, 2020 at 4:46 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.