Landing at LAX ... any advice?

Old Jan 17, 20, 4:03 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: London
Programs: BAEC Silver
Posts: 49
Landing at LAX ... any advice?

Howdy, former frequent flyer heading to LAX next weekend for the first time.

any advice on how to get through quickly or is it one of those airports where I’ll just have to suck it up?

also, what lounge best to use on return?

thanks in advance!

(travelling club with BA)

Last edited by sitsonthefence; Jan 17, 20 at 4:05 pm Reason: Extra details added
sitsonthefence is offline  
Old Jan 17, 20, 4:12 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Programs: All the usual suspects
Posts: 303
I'm sat in the Qantas First Lounge right now having salt and pepper squid and a glass of champagne, personally i cant see past this lounge when I'm here, but not sure if you will have acesss...? Cant comment on any others

Last time I entered via LAX (New years Eve) it was slooooooow, 1.5 hours despite permanent residency. We were just in a really bad line plus some inefficiency. I'm Global Entry which counted for nothing, nearly everyone was being sent to a secondary screening line.
sitsonthefence likes this.
Soupdragon62 is offline  
Old Jan 17, 20, 4:14 pm
  #3  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Berlin, SW Florida, and Toronto
Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
Posts: 25,515
Do you have global entry? Otherwise just walk quickly. Not really much more advice to be given.
LondonElite is offline  
Old Jan 17, 20, 4:16 pm
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: London
Programs: BAEC Silver
Posts: 49
Beyond my status these days unfortunately. I think I’ll bring comfy shoes for the queue.
Markie likes this.
sitsonthefence is offline  
Old Jan 17, 20, 4:19 pm
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: London
Programs: BAEC Silver
Posts: 49
Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
Do you have global entry? Otherwise just walk quickly. Not really much more advice to be given.
thanks, I donít unfortunately as donít go USA very often. Iíll just have to be patient.
Markie likes this.
sitsonthefence is offline  
Old Jan 17, 20, 10:35 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite, HHonors Diamond
Posts: 5,858
When departing, I always use the TSA-PRE line in T4 and then use the connector to walk over to the TBIT. Fine if you've got hand luggage, although I suppose you could check it in and then head to T4 if queues are massive?

Always seem to arrive miles away from the GE kiosks / immigration area so it's a bit of a walk and sometimes a case of how fast you can walk, especially if other heavies have arrived.
xenole is online now  
Old Jan 17, 20, 10:46 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Posts: 2,805
Originally Posted by xenole View Post
When departing, I always use the TSA-PRE line in T4 and then use the connector to walk over to the TBIT. Fine if you've got hand luggage, although I suppose you could check it in and then head to T4 if queues are massive?

Always seem to arrive miles away from the GE kiosks / immigration area so it's a bit of a walk and sometimes a case of how fast you can walk, especially if other heavies have arrived.
TBIT has it's own TSA-Pre now.
Airprox is offline  
Old Jan 17, 20, 10:50 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London
Programs: BA Silver
Posts: 1,571
You think its going to be s breeze as they have the ESTA machines; but then you have to queue to check your print out from the machine with an official. This is very slow

There are huge banks of machines but afterwards you are directed to a queue and I think there must be more than one as we waited ages whilst others from our plane got through before us

I went in the queue at the far end of the room may be others can say whether there is a preferred exit
allturnleft is offline  
Old Jan 17, 20, 11:00 pm
  #9  
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: London, UK
Programs: UA-1K 3MM/AA-Ex Plat/HY- LT Globalist/BA-CCR/GGL/GfL
Posts: 10,701
It can be a decent walk at LAX from the plane to the immigration hall.
Markie is offline  
Old Jan 18, 20, 1:16 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North Yorkshire, UK / Pasadena CA
Programs: BA Silver
Posts: 1,236
Originally Posted by allturnleft View Post
You think its going to be s breeze as they have the ESTA machines; but then you have to queue to check your print out from the machine with an official. This is very slow

There are huge banks of machines but afterwards you are directed to a queue and I think there must be more than one as we waited ages whilst others from our plane got through before us

I went in the queue at the far end of the room may be others can say whether there is a preferred exit
That describes how it has been recently. Last time I came through (8 December, early afternoon, coming off BA 283) I got my printout in less than 2 minutes then queued for 50 mins to have it checked. Choosing the apparently shortest queue is pointless. It's just a law of nature that the one you choose is always the slowest. It helps if you're mentally prepared for a wait. I read a book while waiting. It's not all wasted time because if you breeze through immigration you'd have to wait at the other side for the luggage to come through.
fripperies is offline  
Old Jan 18, 20, 1:19 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Oslo, Norway
Posts: 518
Originally Posted by allturnleft View Post
There are huge banks of machines but afterwards you are directed to a queue and I think there must be more than one as we waited ages whilst others from our plane got through before us
Normally two lines after the machines, one for "fast entry - no-cross-on-paperslip" and one if you get a cross on the paper-slip (if you have not been in the US with the passport in hand before etc. Have arrived on BA269 a few times lately and it have been around 30 mins in the "fast line" and up to 1:30h in the slow
Discus is offline  
Old Jan 18, 20, 2:00 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: London
Programs: BA Silver
Posts: 1,571
Originally Posted by Discus View Post
Normally two lines after the machines, one for "fast entry - no-cross-on-paperslip" and one if you get a cross on the paper-slip (if you have not been in the US with the passport in hand before etc. Have arrived on BA269 a few times lately and it have been around 30 mins in the "fast line" and up to 1:30h in the slow
This wasnít clear must have been in the wrong queue
Its like a zoo when you get there
allturnleft is offline  
Old Jan 18, 20, 2:14 am
  #13  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Brighton. UK
Programs: BA Silver / VS /IHG Spire & Ambassador
Posts: 11,767
Originally Posted by Airprox View Post
TBIT has it's own TSA-Pre now.

OP said thy donít have GE (and inter alia Pre) as they donít visit the US very often so very unlikely they would have free standing Pre Check either.

most the OP could hope for is a priority line for normal security - thatís if LAX has those.
UKtravelbear is online now  
Old Jan 18, 20, 2:29 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Programs: BA
Posts: 75
I was there 2 months ago, the aircraft (A380) parked on the stand right next to the construction for the new underground tunnel to the new terminal, so right in front of the immigration hall. Immigration was very busy but still, I think the whole process took less than 30 minutes from arrival at the gate to curbside.

It's all automated machines, get a printed receipt and then present that and your passport to the CBP officer. Very straight forward but if it's your first time it might take you a few moments to figure it out what the machine wants.
Markie likes this.
LGWClosedAgain is offline  
Old Jan 18, 20, 6:09 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Posts: 2,805
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear View Post
OP said thy donít have GE (and inter alia Pre) as they donít visit the US very often so very unlikely they would have free standing Pre Check either.

most the OP could hope for is a priority line for normal security - thatís if LAX has those.
My reply was in reference to the post I quoted regarding xenole still doing the old procedure of going via T4 which was beneficial in the period between when BA joined PreCheck and when TBIT finally got a PreCheck lane (which it did not have when BA joined).
Airprox is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: