Egencia seat allocations bookings on BA

Old Jan 17, 20, 6:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Egencia seat allocations bookings on BA

So I've started at a new company that uses Egencia for travel. I made 2 bookings for BA flights on a HBO basis and it gave me seat allocations. I was a bit surprised but had heard that TA bookings sometimes came with seat allocations. I managed to go in and change a couple and got an email from Egencia showing the seat as "confirmed" (the old dot matrix looking type print ones).

However today I go into BA.com and MMB and it asks me to select a seat for a fee. I go in and see "my" seats as showing as available. Now, this wouldn't be a problem per se and I'd just chalk it up to experience, but on the last trip I've extended my stay and my other half is coming out after I finish work. It is a valentines day long weekend trip so I'd booked (ie paid for) their seat next to mine for the return journey. To make matters worse it's a middle seat. That one definitely shows as taken!

Has anyone had any actual experience of this? Last time I flew HBO I was given crap seats so changed for the fee. Should I just bite the bullet and pay for that final sector or wait to see what happens on the first flight the previous week where I have seats according to Egencia (back row of each flight!!). I just don't want to get to the stage on our holiday of playing 2 phone online check in so we can sit together, or at least across the aisle from each other. I don't mind paying (well, I do actually) but don't want to spend unnecessarily if I will get the seat "allocated" to me.
Old Jan 17, 20, 6:27 am

Programs: BA Silver
Not sure about HBO, but seat assigments definitley come with some airlines with Egencia contracts. I would get in touch with Egencia to find out.
Old Jan 17, 20, 6:35 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I take it you are BA Blue.

I don't have Egencia experience but it may be their GDS has/had you in an allocated seat, and MMB may be just be a temporary glitch.

If sitting apart is out of the question, and you need that taken out of the equation, then you need to think about paying (or getting status). If it's more in the nice-to-have, I would leave it, and perhaps try to get seated together at the airport.

Note (for next time) that Plus tickets have seat selection at T-48.
Old Jan 17, 20, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gustavmahler View Post
Not sure about HBO, but seat assignments definitely come with some airlines with Egencia contracts. I would get in touch with Egencia to find out.

Thanks. I've sent them in an app message. Got a missed call a short while later, but did a look up number to find it was that people complained about being a scam line!
Old Jan 17, 20, 9:57 am

Programs: BA Gold
We've just started using Egencia. I booked WTP to NYC earlier this week. The Egencia website showed a seat plan - accurate as I compared with ExpertFlyer - and I selected my seat. When I opened it in the BA app there was no seat reservation and my GLA - LHR hop was at the back of the bus. Changed all the allocations to the ones I wanted but I'm not enamoured with Egencia seat booking. Better than its predecessor though!
dddc likes this.
Old Jan 17, 20, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
I take it you are BA Blue.
Hopefully that will change with the new job, but flying on HBO fares within Europe only so often, I'm likely to stay there!

I don't have Egencia experience but it may be their GDS has/had you in an allocated seat, and MMB may be just be a temporary glitch.
I can only hope!

If sitting apart is out of the question, and you need that taken out of the equation, then you need to think about paying (or getting status). If it's more in the nice-to-have, I would leave it, and perhaps try to get seated together at the airport.
It's not often we do anything for Valentine's Day. And it was just coincidence this work trip fell when it did to a city we've not been to, plus I had carried over annual leave days from last year to burn. We'll try OLCI as it is only my seat that needs to match up with my other half's - assuming no one else takes the middle seat after I sway their original one for an aisle. Won't be end of the world if we don't sit together, but will be if I end up in window seat or middle seat between two strangers! If I hadn't of been able to make the seat selection, I wouldn't have been so bothered.

Note (for next time) that Plus tickets have seat selection at T-48.
Company travel policy for short trips is HBO unless there is a need for luggage. The work trip is only overnight - but I'm staying out for 4 more to explore the city once the other half gets there.
Old Jan 18, 20, 2:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TheChangingMan View Post
We've just started using Egencia. I booked WTP to NYC earlier this week. The Egencia website showed a seat plan - accurate as I compared with ExpertFlyer - and I selected my seat. When I opened it in the BA app there was no seat reservation and my GLA - LHR hop was at the back of the bus. Changed all the allocations to the ones I wanted but I'm not enamoured with Egencia seat booking. Better than its predecessor though!
I'm guessing it's your status/ticket that let you choose your seats, but there does seem to be something odd about the Egencia site.

Got a message back from the team there. Yes, I can choose seats but I would have to pay for them. I can see this as a bit of a flaw in the Egencia booking process, or maybe it's just on the mobile app as I went through that. At no point did it mention that seats needed payment. I can understand if you have status or the right ticket you'd want it to naturally flow, but if you haven't any you'd want some sort of notification to say seat selection comes with a fee. If it did and was all part of one booking I'd be able to sneak it in for reimbursement. However as a separate payment, it'd probably raise questions on an expense claim form - something I don't want to do as a newbie to the company!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: