Search

Seat selection time

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2020, 4:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA
Seat selection time

Quick question:
Flying tomorrow on BA4015 (LM435)>BA1481>BA11. Checked it fine on LM's website for the first flight. Question is when will free seat selection start for BA11? T-24 for BA1481 or BA11? It is now past T-24 for BA4015.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 5:10 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
T-24 for the flight in question, although you will have been able to check in for each flight at one time, seat selection works off the individual flight times (as you've found)

Once T-24 passes for BA11 selection should become available

This applies for e.g. Bronze at T-7 days as well, it's to the minute, not just 7 days ahead

Ignore, incorrect based on confusion between Bronze and Blue....

Last edited by BertieBadger; Jan 17, 2020 at 5:28 am
Old Jan 17, 2020, 5:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by BertieBadger
T-24 for the flight in question, although you will have been able to check in for each flight at one time, seat selection works off the individual flight times (as you've found)

Once T-24 passes for BA11 selection should become available

This applies for e.g. Bronze at T-7 days as well, it's to the minute, not just 7 days ahead.
OLCI works differently. From my experience of similar situations, when OLCI opens for BA1481 (which is the first BA flight in the itinerary), it's very likely that the OP will be allowed to OLCI for BA11 at the same time (assuming that both of those flights are tomorrow, so that there is a relatively short connection). At OLCI, the OP should be able to pick seats for each flight that they can check in for.
BertieBadger likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 5:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Globaliser
OLCI works differently. From my experience of similar situations, when OLCI opens for BA1481 (which is the first BA flight in the itinerary), it's very likely that the OP will be allowed to OLCI for BA11 at the same time (assuming that both of those flights are tomorrow, so that there is a relatively short connection). At OLCI, the OP should be able to pick seats for each flight that they can check in for.
This is the general answer from various threads in this forum. However, most (all?) of them starts with a pure BA flight. I am not sure if my first LM flight throws the system or not. I should know in 1.5 hours.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 5:26 am

My understanding/recollection was

- you can check into all sectors from T-24 of the first sector

- you cannot select seats for free on each sector until the necessary time before each one, e.g. T-24h for a blue etc, T-7 days for bronze

My apologies if I'm misremembering here, it's been a few years since I needed to do this (virtually all my trips are multi sector). You may well be correct and I might be mixing it up with the case of a Bronze selecting at T-7d

I'll happily defer to your knowledge here, apologies alvinlwh I've given you duff data Globaliser, thanks for the correction ^
Old Jan 17, 2020, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alvinlwh
I should know in 1.5 hours.
My apologies if I'm misremembering here, it's been a few years since I needed to do this (virtually all my trips are multi sector). You may well be correct and I might be mixing it up with the case of a Bronze selecting at T-7d

I'll happily defer to your knowledge here, apologies alvinlwh I've given you duff data
Well, it could be me who's wrong! But I'm pretty confident that I've checked in people with no status on itineraries on which OLCI has behaved like this.

What would be good is if alvinlwh could tell us later how it worked.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 5:33 am

Well, it could be me who's wrong! But I'm pretty confident that I've checked in people with no status on itineraries on which OLCI has behaved like this.

What would be good is if alvinlwh could tell us later how it worked.
No, I think you're correct, and I was conflating it with the case of a Bronze selecting at T-7d.

Note to self: Engage brain before posting!
Old Jan 17, 2020, 5:40 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I believe Globaliser is correct, that seat selection is T-24 for the first BA service and the second BA service, not the LM service - that's not taken into account other than that the OP needs to have checked-in status and the BA system needs to have received that stutus from Loganair. However sometimes the second BA flight isn't ready for it so you may need to leave it an hour or two, and checking in for the first BA service only to begin with.
BertieBadger likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 5:43 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I believe Globaliser is correct.... .
Agreed, I'm going to quietly slink off and pretend I never opened this thread....

If nothing else a nice example of the BAFT collective swiftly correcting nonsense (mine)
Old Jan 17, 2020, 5:46 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Agreed, I'm going to quietly slink off and pretend I never opened this thread....

If nothing else a nice example of the BAFT collective swiftly correcting nonsense (mine)
To be fair to you, it is something I often reflect on, namely I wouldn't want to be in the category of people who only correct other people's input. So people like you, Globaliser, KARFA, TBS (and many others) get it right 99% of time and it's a bit lazy of others to just swoop in purely on an as-and-when basis.
BertieBadger and KARFA like this.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 5:54 am

Kind words c-w-s, to give lie to my previous claim of slinking off, I do try to give back even just a fraction of the good advice I have gleaned from here. Necessarily (being human) this will mean I make errors occasionally, I try to learn not to repeat them and so very much appreciate when people politely point them out, as Globaliser did.

I fear I'm driving this very much OT now however, so I'll go in search of a thread I can help on. Something Brewdog related perhaps
Old Jan 17, 2020, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I do try to give back even just a fraction of the good advice I have gleaned from here. Necessarily (being human) this will mean I make errors occasionally ...
Similarly from me - my travel has been immeasurably improved by learning here from others, even though I know my efforts to give back also sometimes go wrong. The strength of FT is the collective depth of knowledge.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 7:03 am
Original Poster

Right, reason I am doing this is, as some had remembered, I am on a simple return while my wife is on a open jawed return, so different PNR. I am happy with the KOI (12B/C/D) and GLA (09C/D/E) flights' allocated seating, so no action required. But on BA11, BA put me and my girl in 25A/B (downstairs) while my wife (and baby therefore free seat selection) has 80E (upstairs). Given the very light loading of this flight (checked on BCD), I decided to risk it by not paying to book 81D/E. I am somewhat shocked to see a load of X's on Expert Flyer but the seats I wanted are still free. I am hoping to grab them at T-24.

So....drum roll please, at T-23:59. here is the screen I am seeing. Got to log in at 1855 I guess.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alvinlwh
So....drum roll please, at T-23:59. here is the screen I am seeing. Got to log in at 1855 I guess.
But that's still the MMB screen. The real question, I think, is what will happen when you proceed to OLCI in a quarter of an hour's time.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 8:41 am
Original Poster

But that's still the MMB screen. The real question, I think, is what will happen when you proceed to OLCI in a quarter of an hour's time.
Thanks for the pointer! Got the seats I want. T-30:15.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.