Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LCY flight cancelled today; switched to LHR. EU 261??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2020, 9:36 am
Original Poster

I’m at GVA and supposed to be flying back to LCY but the flight is cancelled and I am now heading for LHR. In theory I will arrive at my “destination” London within an hour of my original scheduled time; I think reality I will get home several hours late because of the difference in onward land travel times.

What are my EU261 rights in this scenario? The cancellation can’t be weather related as all other flights seem to have been running fine today into LCY notwithstanding the wind.

Old Jan 16, 2020, 10:00 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
BA are obliged to provide your transport to LCY or to another close-by destination agreed with you.

These later interpretative guideline from the EU seem to make it clear how your delay and compensation-eligibility is determined. https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-cont...15(01)&from=EN

4.4.8.Compensation for late arrival when a passenger accepts a flight to an airport alternative to that for which the booking was made

Compensation is due in such a case. The time of arrival to be used for calculating the delay is the actual time of arrival at the airport for which the booking was originally made or another close-by destination agreed with the passenger in accordance with Article 8(3) of the Regulation. Costs incurred for the transport between the alternative airport and the airport for which the booking was originally made or another close-by destination agreed with the passenger should be borne by the operating air carrier.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 10:07 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Is this a LX flight which is cancelled? I don't see any BA flights scheduled between LCY and GVA today.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 10:07 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
BA are also obliged to provide (or at least pay for, which means agreeing to the means and cost of) transport to the original destination, or another nearby place by mutual agreement. BA having agreed how you will get back to (or near) LCY, you can then calculate your compensationability based on your actual arrival time at (or near) LCY and use BA's agreement about the ground transport to support any discussion about "reasonable".

If your arrival time near or at LCY is more than 2 hours after your scheduled arrival (since GVA-LCY is a Type 1 flight within the meaning of EC261/2004), you could claim compensation.

I will note this is unfavourable to BA, since you're arriving through UK arrivals, into some ground transit and (let us assume) at the front door of LCY on their clock, while if you had simply been delayed to LCY then the time from the aircraft door opening to you stepping up to the front door of LCY would be on your clock. BA incurs the extra time-cost of processing you through UK arrivals at LHR. However, these are the rules and they are to your monetary advantage.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 10:37 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum Amb, Hilton Diamond
Assuming that BA furnish you with a Heathrow Express single and then reimburse you the cost of onward tube travel from Paddington, the TfL journey planner suggests that T5 to LCY is a 1h5m journey. If your arrival at T5 is within an hour of your scheduled arrival at LCY I'd hazard a guess that you'll struggle to get 261 compensation for the delay, though if they haven't already ponied up a HEx ticket for you then pursuing them for reimbursement for that is a no-brainer.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 10:47 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

As there are no BA services scheduled for GVA-LCY today, I will close this thread and suggest as politely as one can that a new thread be raised in a more appropriate forum.

Prospero
Moderator: BA forum
UKtravelbear likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.