BA4608 Aircraft Change

Old Yesterday, 9:30 am
Original Poster

BA4608 Aircraft Change

JAL changed the aircraft to a 773, previously a 788, 3 days ago. BA still haven't updated this on my booking and also still shows as a 788 on a flight search. Seems like something that should be updated almost immediately. Some people will buy a ticket because it's a certain aircraft type they prefer. Pretty poor to not have updated after 3 days going into 4.
Old Yesterday, 11:11 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Systems take time to talk to each other unfortunately. Just to give an example, the other day I was just randomly looking at flights on JAL on LHR to TYO and saw that they still listed the A350 on the NRT flight even though BA pulled the aircraft off the route last month.
Old Yesterday, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Which dates? I looked at 22 January just as a random example. BA4608 LHR-HND on ba.com shows as a 787, and JL42 on the JAL site shows a 788.
Old Yesterday, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by JCC87 View Post
Seems like something that should be updated almost immediately. Some people will buy a ticket because it's a certain aircraft type they prefer.
It's very common for the codeshare listing to take some time to update. The same happens when there is a schedule change to the prime code; the update for the codeshare code often lags behind. Schedules are of real importance, compared to the aircraft type (think MCT compliance, for example). So I think that your expectation may be unrealistic.

Choosing a flight by aircraft type is always at your own risk, anyway, as the aircraft type is not contractually promised by the airline and can change at any time.

In any event, a small dip sample suggests that the BA code returns the correct seat map (seating configuration perhaps being the most common reason why people prefer a certain aircraft type over another), even though the availability listing hass not yet updated.
etiene likes this.
Old Yesterday, 11:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
Which dates? I looked at 22 January just as a random example. BA4608 LHR-HND on ba.com shows as a 787, and JL42 on the JAL site shows a 788.
Old Yesterday, 12:59 pm

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
JAL changed the aircraft to a 773, previously a 788, 3 days ago. BA still haven't updated this on my booking and also still shows as a 788 on a flight search. Seems like something that should be updated almost immediately. Some people will buy a ticket because it's a certain aircraft type they prefer. Pretty poor to not have updated after 3 days going into 4.
The real world buys a flight, not a specific type of plane for the trip. So really of very little relevance.
Old Today, 3:46 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Originally Posted by DFB_london View Post
The real world buys a flight, not a specific type of plane for the trip. So really of very little relevance.
Please. Unnecessary.
Those who book a flight purely for pleasure often do this.
Granted its a bigger risk, particularly if you book a long time in advance. But peoples reasons for travelling and decisions related to do vary. You don't need to understand it.
JCC87 likes this.
Old Today, 10:51 am

Programs: BAEC GCH, AA LTG
Originally Posted by A P Yu View Post
Please. Unnecessary.
Granted its a bigger risk, particularly if you book a long time in advance. But peoples reasons for travelling and decisions related to do vary. You don't need to understand it.
Agreed!

rb211.
Old Today, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by RB211 View Post
Originally Posted by A P Yu View Post
Please. Unnecessary.
Agreed!
People are free to decide on the basis of whatever criteria they like. But you can't reasonably expect airline systems to be set up to cater instantly for this minority sport. I'd bet that quite a large proportion of passengers have no clue which aircraft type they've flown on even after the flight is completed, nor care.
DFB_london likes this.
Old Today, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by RB211 View Post
Agreed!

rb211.
Nope. The huge majority of travelers donít even have a clue what they are flying on. Starting a post moaning that systems have nt updated a Boeing from one type to another is unnecessary. Especially on a code share many schedule cycles out. It seems clearly done as ĎBA IT moaní, but for 99.9% of flyers is irrelevant. Thatís the real world.
Old Today, 11:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DFB_london View Post
Nope. The huge majority of travelers donít even have a clue what they are flying on. Starting a post moaning that systems have nt updated a Boeing from one type to another is unnecessary. Especially on a code share many schedule cycles out. It seems clearly done as ĎBA IT moaní, but for 99.9% of flyers is irrelevant. Thatís the real world.
Yeah I know most people don't know what type of plane they are on and will pick one flight over another because it's £5 cheaper. But there's still a significant amount of informed people, like the people that frequent this forum, that know they can get a better experience/product or certain aircraft. Club Suite on A350 for example.

It's not a moan, I'm actually over the moon with the change to the 777. It's the same SkySuite and I've managed to bag a window seat which were all taken on the 787.

I do think that it's a poor show from BA to still be listing it as a 787 after 4 days.
Old Today, 11:58 am

Yeah I know most people don't know what type of plane they are on and will pick one flight over another because it's £5 cheaper. But there's still a significant amount of informed people, like the people that frequent this forum, that know they can get a better experience/product or certain aircraft. Club Suite on A350 for example.

It's not a moan, I'm actually over the moon with the change to the 777. It's the same SkySuite and I've managed to bag a window seat which were all taken on the 787.

I do think that it's a poor show from BA to still be listing it as a 787 after 4 days.

Im afraid this is an echo chambers. Participants here and in similar places elsewhere are far from a significant base of travellers - even if they think they are. Significant is statistically a proportion of 5% or more!

When are you flying? if itís more than 72 hours away equipment can and does change, so it seems pedantic to raise this issue if the flights are some way away. Whatever equipment BA lists as, the transfer to JAL for seat assignment will still get you to the planned seat map, so it really is of no consequence what BA thinks the plane is.

Like anything, if this sort of issue really matters check the seat plan regularly as this should be what the actual equipment is. And if it then really really matters youíd need to buy a fully flexible refundable ticket if the type of plane no longer pleases you. (After all these changes are how the whole Flub set up occurs.)
Old Today, 1:46 pm

Programs: BAEC GCH, AA LTG
If this is unnecessary, why comment? Why not leave the discussion to those who have an interest in it rather than saying this is unnecessary. Saying it is unnecessary is unnecessary. Or maybe I'm misunderstanding.

While the majority don't give a flying fickle what the aircraft is, there are many that do. And an even greater percentage of people here absolutely do. Does that mean that an airline is making a commitment to have that kind of plan on that particular flight? Absolutely not. Should compensation be due if the plane changes? No. But the discussion is valid, IMNSHO!

rb211.
KARFA likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: