FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Flight too empty & Photo Opportunity! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/2004611-flight-too-empty-photo-opportunity.html)

stuvoi Jan 16, 2020 5:04 am

Flight too empty & Photo Opportunity!

HI

Just a quick one. I was hoping for a sneaky AUP, but the upgrade price was £999 (WT+ to CW)

I know if I want to fly CW, I should just book it, but lets pretend that didn't happen :)

Was told the flight was too empty to offer any decent upgrades, only 5 people in WT+ and 77 on the whole flight.

What do you think the chances of

(a) getting an upgrade at the gate
(b) getting an upgrade from the Cabin Crew

I know chance is slim to none, but you never know!!

Flight is LGW to BDA (leaving in about 2 hours)

Also, as a subquesiton...

I am taking a couple of bobble heads away with me, to record their journey, for my wife who has a heart condition and she asked, so who am I to refuse (I know there is the question as to why I am leaving her, but that's a long story). Anyhow, was wondering what the chance of the pilot agreeing to having a photo or two of them in the flight deck?

Cheers

UKtravelbear Jan 16, 2020 5:08 am

a - zero and b - zero

You can only ask re the photo.

mikeyfly Jan 16, 2020 5:17 am

Photos are more often than not permitted after landing at destination. Never during flight. If delays on the ground, sometimes pre flight is an option

(a) getting an upgrade at the gate
(b) getting an upgrade from the Cabin Crew
Not sure at gate, but they most likely can't take payment at this stage so won't be able to sell you an upgrade

mikeyfly Jan 16, 2020 5:22 am

Forgot to add - I'd spend nothing and grab a row of three to yourself once boarding is complete... actually checking Expertflyer - plonk yourself in the middle four on rows 31-34 no one else sitting there

BertieBadger Jan 16, 2020 5:26 am

Originally Posted by mikeyfly (Post 31957100)
actually checking Expertflyer - plonk yourself in the middle four on rows 31-34 no one else sitting there

Potentially tricky on a WT+ ticket ;)

But in fact, given the fixed vs movable armrests this may be one of those cases where asking the crew to move back to the WT cabin could make sense

EditToAdd: There's now a total of 6 seats showing occupied in WT+, it's very lightly loaded indeed

mikeyfly Jan 16, 2020 5:28 am

Originally Posted by BertieBadger (Post 31957122)

But in fact, given the fixed vs movable armrests this may be one of those cases where asking the crew to move back to the WT cabin could make sense

Crikey poor attention to detail by me! Indeed the WT+ cabin is deserted with only 6 pax!

stuvoi Jan 16, 2020 5:29 am

Originally Posted by BertieBadger (Post 31957122)

Yep, lying down across the middle row in WT+ would be very uncomfortable. If it was a night flight, I would go back to WT and get a row of 4 to myself, but during the day I don't think I'll be able to get too much chance to sleep!

I have 21B at the moment, I don't think there will be anyone in 21A, so I have those two seats to myself.

mikeyfly Jan 16, 2020 5:30 am

21A is blocked as a benefit to you, will remain empty

bisonrav Jan 16, 2020 5:31 am

Most restful sleep I ever had on a flight was a full row on an empty A380 in WT. The armrests only went to 45 degrees but that was OK and I strapped myself in with a couple of seatbelts. I would definitely self downgrade from WTP to do that (my flight was from Boston so I skipped food and went horizontal as soon as possible).

stuvoi Jan 16, 2020 5:31 am

someone else must have upgraded to WT+ (or did a very late booking) - unless I misheard the lady at checkin and she meant 5 plus me ;)

BertieBadger Jan 16, 2020 5:32 am

Originally Posted by stuvoi (Post 31957137)
I have 21B at the moment, I don't think there will be anyone in 21A, so I have those two seats to myself.

Expert flyer shows 21A is blocked, I don't think you're in any danger of a seat mate. In fact, at the moment you have the entire front row to yourself!

There is someone in 22B, I expect they may move when you recline (if you don't move to 21A) - they're not short of options!

mikeyfly Jan 16, 2020 5:34 am

Go sit yourself in 22A and see if 22B kicks off like this person... made my chuckle reading this

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qata...g-next-me.html

stuvoi Jan 16, 2020 5:37 am

Originally Posted by mikeyfly (Post 31957151)
Go sit yourself in 22A and see if 22B kicks off like this person... made my chuckle reading this

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qata...g-next-me.html

That's funny. I am a very social person, except if someone is sitting next to me on an empty plane/train :)

speedbuslhr Jan 16, 2020 6:01 am

No upgrade will occur at the gate or on board. The flight would of been catered to the bare minimum.

SKT-DK Jan 16, 2020 6:08 am

I am curious to know why the OP would think an empty flight would get him an upgrade? :confused: