Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Appropriate response from BA for choking on bone in Chicken

Old Jan 15, 20, 7:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Executive Club - Gold, HH - Gold, Marriott - Gold

I flew back this morning from Nashville to London and I had two reasons to complain.

I had bone in my chicken that I choked on. Fortunately it was a small of bone and I was able to spit it out but that's a serious thing and not okay.

Secondly the electronic shade was broken on my seat I chose and they simply taped over the window.

What would be an appropriate response here from BA?

Bone in chicken
Old Jan 15, 20, 8:35 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, MR Gold
Gotta say.. that bone looks like one should have detected it by actual chewing activities.
Old Jan 15, 20, 8:42 pm
Original Poster

I didn't notice it before I swallowed but even if I had it shouldn't be there!
Old Jan 15, 20, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Platinum & Ambassador
What did the cabin crew say when you raised these issues on board?
Often1, MaddyC and WindowSeatFlyer like this.
Old Jan 15, 20, 8:50 pm
Original Poster

I said I would raise it myself with BA when I am back - I know they could have done that on board but honestly I felt like I am always complaining and it wasn't their fault. They didn't prepare the food.

I submitted a complaint online - but my question is really what would be a fair response from BA here?
Old Jan 15, 20, 9:13 pm
sxc
Moderator, Cathay Pacific
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Gold, Hyatt Glob
Why shouldn’t chicken have bones? I don’t think they are in the mollusc family?
Old Jan 15, 20, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Response from BA would depend if it was from Angela or not.

personally I’d have been happy with a ‘sorry’ from the CSM and left it to them to report. And if BA tossed a few thousand avios my way I’d leave it at that. Stuff happens,

now if it had been say a shard of glass or other non natural contaminant that’s a different issue but a chicken bone is natural.

And I’d have been more unhappy if they’d had left the window in the open position!
Old Jan 15, 20, 9:35 pm

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Just checked and the following warning appears on packaging of some ‘boneless’ chicken “Although every care has been taken to remove all bones, some may remain.” Not ideal but I think that can happen with any animal / fish product, sadly.
Old Jan 15, 20, 9:59 pm

Programs: DL Gold Medallion, AA, UA, BA, Hhonors Gold
That window is . . .
lol
mhy likes this.
Old Jan 15, 20, 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear View Post
Response from BA would depend if it was from Angela or not.

personally I’d have been happy with a ‘sorry’ from the CSM and left it to them to report. And if BA tossed a few thousand avios my way I’d leave it at that. Stuff happens,

now if it had been say a shard of glass or other non natural contaminant that’s a different issue but a chicken bone is natural.

And I’d have been more unhappy if they’d had left the window in the open position!
I found glass in my CW meal a few years back. Complained to the CSM who said she’d write it up. I took pics of the glass and kept a piece of it. Weeks went by & nothing, contacted BA and was told there was no record of the complaint so they logged a new one. Again weeks of nothing, contacted BA & was told they were still investigating. 6 months of back & forth, each time “we’re still investigating”. Eventually I got a response back from BA saying they’d found no evidence of the glass and the complaint was closed. I rang and told them not only did I have pics of it but I also had a piece of it & given their awful response I’d be taking legal action. Within 48hrs I was contacted and offered a voucher to settle the complaint...
dddc, LCY8737, Twickenham and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 15, 20, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

well yes and I did say t would be different if I found something unnatural like that.
WindowSeatFlyer likes this.
Old Jan 15, 20, 11:27 pm

Seriously, complaining about a small bone fragment in a chicken dish? The only time that complaint would have any grounds would be if the dish wasn't supposed to have chicken in it, period (e.g. vegetarian).

"Boneless" chicken will sometimes have bone fragments. Fish fillets will sometimes have bones also. "Pitted" olives sometimes have pit fragments. Crab cakes will sometimes have shell fragments. Hell, isn't there a wild boar dish that BA serves periodically that carries the warning "due to the nature of the product, this dish may contain shot pellets"???? You can't possibly think that a small chicken bone in a chicken dish is worth a complaint, much less compensation?

The taped up window is a little ghastly looking. If you weren't informed of it prior to boarding and offered an alternate window seat, then that would be worth a few thousand Avios IMO.
Old Jan 15, 20, 11:50 pm

Programs: GGL/CCR etc.
A thank you for letting them know would seem appropriate.
Old Jan 15, 20, 11:56 pm

op did you eat the chicken in one bite?
Old Yesterday, 12:09 am

Programs: BAEC. Silver.
Originally Posted by mctaste View Post
op did you eat the chicken in one bite?

Head first like Ozzy Osborne

Search this Thread
Search Engine: