GGL joker help needed

Old Jan 15, 20, 6:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
GGL joker help needed

I booked 8 outbound tickets using 2 x GGL jokers for our family holiday next Xmas. The return flights have just been released but when I called to add the returns at midnight I was told that the necessary fare bucket has yet to be released and wonít be available for a few days yet. Working backwards the fares had not been released for the preceding two days either. Can anyone please tell me when the fares are likely to be released so I can call back? Iím completely frantic about it because Mr N.W got a bit ahead of himself and has paid for non-refundable accommodation before the flights are confirmed.

Many thanks.

NW
Old Jan 15, 20, 9:31 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
First of all, go and give Mr NW a rap of the knuckles for that move! It sounds a bit odd. Have you looked at the ExpertFlyer details for the flight you're trying to book? It would be helpful to see what's currently on offer. If you post the details here I'm sure someone will look for you. If you don't want to post it publicly feel free to PM me the details and I'll look it up for you.
Old Jan 15, 20, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Iíve seen this on very popular peak season routes eg Maldives and Caribbean. It may not release at all depending on the exact specifics.
Old Yesterday, 2:12 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
As we don’t have details I just checked randomly Male (Maldives) Well the 2nd Jan flight looks to me sold out in J and almost sold out in W. The seat map shows that 50% of business seats are already selected 40% on W. Of course I can’t say for sure that BA won’t open up the J cabin for sale but the chance is low. Probably similar issue on the 4th Jan.
OP i suggest to post some details and there are people from BA who can check the actual load internally and can advise the current situation. I would also call back the GGL line and ask the person to check the actual load. They might not tell you but they can tell you have they sold any tickets, etc.
Old Yesterday, 2:42 am
Original Poster

Argh!!!! Iíve checked EF zeroed out in everything but F, J, W and Y. Surely thatís not normal??? These are flights that only went on sale at midnight last night which is when I called so they are not sold out and the seat map is completely empty apart from 2 seats. What bucket do I need for the GGL redemptions please?

He was excited about having the whole family together for Christmas and got ahead of himself but I could throttle him!
Old Yesterday, 3:04 am

A for first and D for business.
Old Yesterday, 3:06 am

Also no other GGL used the joker on that cabin.
Old Yesterday, 3:14 am

Programs: BAEC
Perhaps you may be changing your user name in the near future?
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Yesterday, 3:18 am

Programs: BA GGL (no longer CCR), Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
It'll probably be fine but it could be months before they release the buckets, if at all. Sorry.

While I don't suggest you do anything yet, what's the worst case scenario booking a one-way back from your destination on any airline?
Old Yesterday, 3:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cymro View Post
It'll probably be fine but it could be months before they release the buckets, if at all. Sorry.

While I don't suggest you do anything yet, what's the worst case scenario booking a one-way back from your destination on any airline?
The backup plan will be 7 paid flights in Y and one of us will be travelling in paid F!

In fairness the GGL line did say it would probably only be a few days before the other fare buckets are released and they are available 4 days before we want to return. Iíll see if that moves forward by a day tomorrow and if not I may grab what is available so the £30k house rental is not a complete write off. Am I right that these tickets are fully flexible so I could change them when the date I want becomes available?
Old Yesterday, 3:31 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
If Mr NW survives his throttling, does he have any significant status with whoever is providing the accommodation?

Formally it will be non-refundable, but if he contacted the property and was open and honest about making a mistake, they may be able to do something. Quite possibly they will refuse, but it at least another avenue to explore.

Hope you get it all sorted.
Old Yesterday, 3:52 am

Programs: BA GGL (no longer CCR), Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Newly Wed View Post
Am I right that these tickets are fully flexible so I could change them when the date I want becomes available?
Actual Y buckets are fully flexible and refundable, but we're talking about 11+ months before the trip, not 11 days. It might be helpful to know where you're going, but the odds of these flights selling out completely in the next three months are minuscule.

Far better to think of what you might do, e.g., SEZ-DOH-LHR is £680pp one way on 3 January, with the option of spending the night in Doha to avoid the night flight, and treat that as a fall-back - rather than actually spending £1,700 pp for full flex Y to make sure you get absolutely any seat that you can then cancel. In fact there are many destinations where 8 cash F fares would be cheaper than the accommodation...
Old Yesterday, 4:04 am
Original Poster

I've managed to book 4 with a connection in Club on the day we want to travel and 4 direct in WT a day earlier so all is not lost. EF alerts are set and I'll be checking regularly for any changes. GGL line tells me there are other GGLs stalking this route so I'll remain coy for now.

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions. Much appreciated.

NW

Search this Thread
Search Engine: