BA seat selection scam recourse?

Old Jan 15, 20, 6:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: Many
BA seat selection scam recourse?

My parents are traveling tomorrow on BA 9. They paid BAís scam charge to select J seats together. Today, BA has unilaterally changed those assignments and moved them to different parts of the cabin but kept their $. What kind of nonsense is this? Is there a way to compel BA to honor their original PAID FOR assignments so they donít have to be solo for 10+ hrs?
Old Jan 15, 20, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
Sometimes people are moved for a variety of operational reasons. Their money will be refunded, it's clearly spelled out on the website. It's not a scam since it is prominently shown when you book a ticket. Some of us status holders quite like it because it tends to leave good seats available when we book tickets last minute.
Old Jan 15, 20, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
What seats do they want? There seem to be quite a few pairs free.

nancypants and Bellerina like this.
Old Jan 15, 20, 6:36 am

Programs: BA Gold
They'll get a refund I don't think "BA" set out to scam your parents.

Maybe things will pan out differently either asking at the airport, or onboard after doors close
Old Jan 15, 20, 6:37 am

Programs: SK EBG for Life (*G), BA Gold, HH DIA, IC Platinum Ambassador, Hertz President's Circle, Sixt Plat
Well, to start with BA charging for seat selection for non-status pax in CW is hardly a new thing and hardly a scam.

Looks like the usual 772 has seen a swap to a 77W tomorrow leading to the change of seats. Have you considered calling BA to have the seats reassigned?

In any case, they can get a refund of the selection fee after the flight if BA do not honour the original reservation.

Looking at EF, there are plenty of opportunities for them to sit together, with the best bet likely being 15AB.

Old Jan 15, 20, 6:38 am

It happened to us on the way back from NYC. We were relegated from the upper deck to lower deck seats because one of our seats was faulty. One of us could have stayed upstairs because the other seat wasn't broken. We both moved downstairs and when we got home, we completed the form on the BA website. Within around 14 days both seat reservation fees were returned to our account. We were fortunate to be moved to an aisle and window seat together - it's shame that your parents are being separated but if the seat is possible broken it might be there is no other choice?
Old Jan 15, 20, 6:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
Appreciate you're pi$$ed off, but calling seat booking charges, as well as "we can move you for operational purposes" policies, that have been in place for years a "scam" is a bit OTT.

Call BA, ask for your parents to have their seats reassigned to one of the many available pairs of seats.
Old Jan 15, 20, 6:50 am
Senior Mod and Moderator: Aegean Miles&Bonus and British Airways

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Spire
Given the not inconsiderable cost of reserving J seats, at this stage - so close to check-in - and with many pairs still available (albeit mostly in the centre), the OP's parents might be better advised waiting to see what's available at T-24, picking a pair together, then applying for the seat reservation fees back from BA after the flight given they would not be in their original seats. There is no question, even if they move from the seats they've nominally been allocated, that the fees would be returned - whereas calling up and asking for alternative seats ahead of free selection would probably mean acceptance and at best muddy the waters on a refund.

In many ways, therefore, this has worked to the passengers' advantage - certainly not a scam.
Old Jan 15, 20, 6:55 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Why bother trying to sort it by calling or using BA.com when you post a rant on FlyerTalk?
Old Jan 15, 20, 7:01 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
So it looks like an aircraft switch from 777-200 to 777-300 (Flightradar says it will be G-STBI)

The sales buckets are:
J7 C0 D0 R0 I0 W6 E1 T0 Y2 B1 H0 K0 M0 L0 V0 S0 N0 Q0 O0 G0

Which means WT will go out full-ish, assuming the upgraded equipment is reflected in these numbers (it may NOT be due to crew related issues) but WTP has space and CW has plenty of space before we consider the FLUB issues.

777-300s are are definite improvement on 777-200, with a better IFE if nothing else. But CW becomes a dormitory unfortunately, whereas 3 class 200s have a split cabin for CW.

But I go with the other comment, choose the best seats now, I'm sure the OP knows about NOT printing/apping the boarding pass straight away, and then check a few times in the immediate aftermath of OLCI until the best possible seats are obtained. Don't consider FLUB for the moment, but consider it tomorrow at the last possible moment if passengers start being moved into it.

And then get your seat money back, personally I think it's a potential win-win.
NWIFlyer likes this.
Old Jan 15, 20, 7:01 am
Senior Mod and Moderator: Aegean Miles&Bonus and British Airways

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Spire
Originally Posted by DYKWIA View Post
Why bother trying to sort it by calling or using BA.com when you post a rant on FlyerTalk?
To be fair, the OP is also asking if there's any way to force BA to return his/her parents to their original seats.

The benefit of FT here, surely, is in using our experience to point out ways to the OP that his parents could actually benefit from their initial disappointment. And who doesn't like a happy ending in BKK?
af fp, Avallon, Yemona and 8 others like this.
Old Jan 15, 20, 7:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by DYKWIA View Post
well thanks for being smarmy, they called BA and couldnít get anyone on the phone since they donít have BA or OW status. I managed to sort it out for them.
Old Jan 15, 20, 10:52 am

Programs: Lowly blue, sometimes Bronze
I think scam is pretty appropriate but I know no one on here will agree.

i dont have status. AA donít charge so 4 of us just flew with then instead. I am happy I get my seats and I donít pay the daft charge ba would want.

Itís a free market so they can do what they want - but so can passengers !
SK, af fp, LCY8737 and 3 others like this.
Old Jan 15, 20, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
Originally Posted by jeremyBA View Post

i dont have status. AA donít charge so 4 of us just flew with then instead. I am happy I get my seats and I donít pay the daft charge ba would want.

Itís a free market so they can do what they want - but so can passengers !
And everyone is happy...
Cap'n Benj and csutter like this.
Old Jan 15, 20, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
Originally Posted by jeremyBA View Post

i dont have status. AA don’t charge so 4 of us just flew with then instead. I am happy I get my seats and I don’t pay the daft charge ba would want.

It’s a free market so they can do what they want - but so can passengers !
It makes you wonder why those who dislike it don't do the same instead of getting into a lather about it all.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: