Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA seat selection scam recourse?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2020, 10:31 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by LondonElite
And everyone is happy...
Exactly, as it should be 👍.

FT Glossary:

Scam/Fraud = Something I don’t like or something my usual airlines don’t do and I’m surprised/upset about.

I’m actually quite fed up at the number of scam/fraud threads we seem to get here. Next time I fly DL, I might start a thread, screaming “scam”, because I didn’t get lounge access and a meal on my 1.5 hour US domestic flight. Except I won’t, because I know exactly what product I’m getting and won’t b***h if I’m stupid enough not to do my research beforehand.

‘drops mike, walks off’
Andriyko, HIDDY, Krisz and 10 others like this.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 10:46 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by krispy84
Exactly, as it should be 👍.

FT Glossary:

Scam/Fraud = Something I don’t like or something my usual airlines don’t do and I’m surprised/upset about.

I’m actually quite fed up at the number of scam/fraud threads we seem to get here. Next time I fly DL, I might start a thread, screaming “scam”, because I didn’t get lounge access and a meal on my 1.5 hour US domestic flight. Except I won’t, because I know exactly what product I’m getting and won’t b***h if I’m stupid enough not to do my research beforehand.

‘drops mike, walks off’
Great response and deserves more of a mention than just my 'like'. Well said.
HIDDY, trooper and kanderson1965 like this.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 11:14 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Meanwhile, over on the flight in question, I notice it is actually filling up quite well, so it's not impossible that Flub will be needed. It's not oversold since we now have a G1 in there, but a few staff standbys, late purchases and irrops off other airlines may push things over nicely.

Avios availability is showing up for WT = 6 seats (not surprising), WTP = 2 seats (more surprising, there are only 2 empty WTP seats going). Nowt in CW.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by jeremyBA
AA don’t charge so 4 of us just flew with then instead. I am happy I get my seats and I don’t pay the daft charge ba would want.

It’s a free market so they can do what they want - but so can passengers !

Exactly. This is why it isn't a scam. If, for example the AA fare is £2000 and the BA fare, £1500, including your seat selection, do you still think BA is ripping you off?

Simply add the seat selection cost when you are comparing fares, just like adding ground transportation costs when considering another airport.

Of course, it does skew things when comparing prices on Google flights etc. but those also don't account for the relative merits of each airline in general.
Joeykins and Lucanesque like this.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 12:03 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriot Platinum
Originally Posted by ppp909
Exactly. This is why it isn't a scam. If, for example the AA fare is £2000 and the BA fare, £1500, including your seat selection, do you still think BA is ripping you off?

Simply add the seat selection cost when you are comparing fares, just like adding ground transportation costs when considering another airport.

Of course, it does skew things when comparing prices on Google flights etc. but those also don't account for the relative merits of each airline in general.
Agree with this. I have definitely found BA flights in CW cheaper than other Business seats on other airlines for my European travels. And if one is not picky about seats, it allows them to get a better price.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 12:33 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
I fail to see how BA charging for seat selection could be considered a scam. A scam, as I understand it, is a deception or a fraud. There is no deception there. BA make it quite clear what the charges are and what you are being charged for and, moreover, they also make it clear that there is no guarantee they will be able to honour your assignment and will refund you if they cannot.

Where is the scam in that?

Having said that, I find the fact that they can charge you thousands for a CW seat but don't offer free seat selection from time of booking. It smacks of penny-pinching to me.
Lucanesque likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by snaxmuppet
Where is the scam in that?
In the cold light of day I don't think anyone would reasonably class this as a scam. Instead, it was just some added hyperbole in the thread title to catch attention, postulate fake news and add some meat to the rant. I was half expecting to read "I'm never flying BA again" but, oh, wait, the OP has already posted that on FT some time back. As you can see, I'm not adopting the @corporate-wage-slave de-escalation strategies today.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 1:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ppp909
Seems a very bad example given that AA and BA have a joint venture and have the same fares - so more like example the AA fare is £2000 and the BA fare, £2000, excluding seat selection
wemyss likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 1:28 pm

Programs: Ba Silver ( for now!)
For my flight AA was the same price so taking them over BA when we are traveling as a family was a no brainer. I still get tier points and miles

if we travel as a couple I won’t bother booking seats and just to it as check in. The seat fees are silly but it does not bother me as AA also have the better product !

Scam is a nice word that rolls of the toung and indeed it is just penny pinching in reality.

But ... can you imagine what The Sun and Mirror would say if Ryanair charged £100 + for a seat allocation !

i am just booking Lufthansa now to Singapore ( 2 for 1 offer you can’t beat it. Every other row is just 1 seat not 2 and they want £165 for it. I won’t be doing that either ( aside from the fact I am traveling as a couple )

I am sure ba feel they do well out of charging, but avoiding it by flying other carriers is pretty simple. I could easily get silver / gold if I did all my flying on ba but then I would not be taking 2 people to Singapore in j for £2150 with Lufthansa or 2 first to India with Swiss for £3k and those beat status any day ( to me !)
Old Jan 15, 2020, 1:36 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Originally Posted by golfmad
In the cold light of day I don't think anyone would reasonably class this as a scam. Instead, it was just some added hyperbole in the thread title to catch attention, postulate fake news and add some meat to the rant. I was half expecting to read "I'm never flying BA again" but, oh, wait, the OP has already posted that on FT some time back. As you can see, I'm not adopting the @corporate-wage-slave de-escalation strategies today.
Maybe it becomes a scam when BA charge a seat reservation fee, passengers pay it because sitting together in certain seats is important to them, and then BA move them to different, separate seats, then it's up to the passenger to try and get their money back.

When there are aircraft changes, BA could try to keep passengers in comparable seats, or failing that, proactively refund their seat selection fees, and notify the passengers of their actions.
MSPeconomist, masmadrid and cauchy like this.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by HilFly
Maybe it becomes a scam...
Mildly irritating perhaps but hardly a dishonest scheme or fraud.
Lucanesque and snaxmuppet like this.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
well thanks for being smarmy, they called BA and couldn’t get anyone on the phone since they don’t have BA or OW status. I managed to sort it out for them.
So how did you sort it?

What was the result?
Old Jan 15, 2020, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
well thanks for being smarmy, they called BA and couldn’t get anyone on the phone since they don’t have BA or OW status. I managed to sort it out for them.
It's not about being smarmy when you don't like or agree with what other people are telling you.

Also if you are able to dish it out then you should also be prepared to take it back.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 4:07 pm

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
I dislike intensely this awful BA habit of charging for seats. Especially in J. However, that in itself is not a scam. They don't clearly tell you that you pay extra for seat selection when you buy the ticket.

What might be seen as a scam is charging for the seats, moving the customers, for whatever reason, and then forcing the customers to fight BA's awful Customer Service and awful phone queues to get some sort of resolution.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 4:18 pm

Anyone know why it’s being subbed for the 773?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.