Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

How can I get BA to fix their error and refund 80k avios they owe me?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2020, 2:32 am
Original Poster

I had a flight cancellation for a redemption booking, and asked for a refund. I received an email saying that I would receive the avios back within 24 hours.

it didn’t happen (although cash element was refunded), so I raised it with the Twitter team. They promised to fix it within 48 hours, but they messed up and took away another 40000 avios instead of refunding 40k, so I now have a negative balance and can’t do anything - I can’t even book the cheapest redemption or get a discount off a cash booking (which I wanted to do).

I raised it with them but they always say they will fix it “soon” or “in a few days” - but nothing has happened for two weeks.

I also made a complaint on the website, which didn’t get any response.

How can I get them to do something about this?
Old Jan 14, 2020, 3:10 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Try PMing BAMissingAvios on here.
Bgs12 likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 4:26 am

Programs: BA Exec Club - Gold
Have you tried calling BA? In the past when I've had Avios issues, a quick call normally sorts it out.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 4:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Will try that.

Do BAMissingAvios and the people in the call centre have more authority to resolve issues than the Twitter team?
Old Jan 14, 2020, 5:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Bgs12
Will try that.

Do BAMissingAvios and the people in the call centre have more authority to resolve issues than the Twitter team?
When you call, the person on the phone will look at the file directly and will hopefully act on it (depending on the situations this may be doable directly or require some follow up). When you contact the Twitter team, they typically pass things on to others. That's just one more middle man.
cbagent likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Exactly same happened to me 20/12 - Avios returned but 37,500 taken again in error. Three Gold line phone calls over last three weeks and Avios returned yesterday. Ł1,400 still not returned to credit card. Confirmed on Friday that they have not actioned it correctly twice. Third time lucky I hope
Old Jan 16, 2020, 1:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
This worked, thank you.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 3:28 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

This worked, thank you.
^
Old Jan 16, 2020, 3:50 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
I understand the twitter team are multi-functional and are usually good at fixing things if you're having trouble on the phone.

I must admit I'd be following up with a complaint and expecting some additional avios for being messed around, even despite the successful outcome.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

I logged in again and realised that the issue I described above hasn’t been fixed properly. They added 80k avios to my account, but my household account still has a balance of 0 for some reason, so I can’t book anything.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 4:05 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
I logged in again and realised that the issue I described above hasn’t been fixed properly. They added 80k avios to my account, but my household account still has a balance of 0 for some reason, so I can’t book anything.
Are you sure about that? If you are in the household account and you have 80,000 points I don't see how the household account can have fewer total points in it?
Old Feb 3, 2020, 7:02 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by golfmad
Are you sure about that? If you are in the household account and you have 80,000 points I don't see how the household account can have fewer total points in it?
Two words. BA IT
(Yes, actually two acronyms.)
Old Feb 4, 2020, 1:45 am
Original Poster

Yes, I am sure.

I aldo tried booking a redemption and the system told me I needed to buy all the avios needed for the redemption because I had no available avios.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 2:29 am

Programs: BA Gold, TP Gold, VS Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
I can well imagine BA's IT taking an extra day or two to sync a HHA balance with a manual refund (as opposed to an automated 'Activity' transaction) made to one of the HHA members, so it might resolve itself in the next 24 hours.

If the OP needs to make a redemption from the HHA today (s)he's going to have to call in again, and may need to anyway if the discrepancy doesn't clear in the next 'overnight'.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 5:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by southlondonphil
I can well imagine BA's IT taking an extra day or two to sync a HHA balance with a manual refund (as opposed to an automated 'Activity' transaction) made to one of the HHA members, so it might resolve itself in the next 24 hours.

If the OP needs to make a redemption from the HHA today (s)he's going to have to call in again, and may need to anyway if the discrepancy doesn't clear in the next 'overnight'.
There has been no transaction in the account for several weeks, so it has probably been like this for a while, I just never checked the household account balance or tried to make a booking in that time.

I would guess that something went wrong when my individual account had a negative balance, and the IT couldn’t handle this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.