Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Possible reduction of APD on UK domestic flights to save Flybe - impact on BA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Possible reduction of APD on UK domestic flights to save Flybe - impact on BA

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2020, 4:19 am
WLX

Originally Posted by LimitingFactor
The BBC article said he is willing to do without assistance - if so, surely bring it on and do it anyway? Does he need permission? (Summer only)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51117885
Yes I think this is right: BA offered to operate the route without subsidy but only during the summer. As the Government cares more about business traffic than holidaymakers, they rightly turned this offer down.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 4:24 am

Originally Posted by Bullswood
No problem with that as long as all the better run regional carriers get equal treatment. Otherwise it's subsidising incompetence.
What other regional carriers? Loganair? Who else? Don’t Eastern Airways survive on charter business and operating for FlyBe?

I’m not sure it’s as simple as incompetence. Subsidising outside the south east of England, whilst anathema to some, is certainly worthy of discussion. Particularly given the economic shitstorm the UK is about to head into.
etiene and PeteM01 like this.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 4:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Akoz
Don't think so - they is the reason it is being applied to all domestic operators.
If there is a deferral of payment of tax due by FlyBE to HMRC, that would prima facie constitute state aid. As to exempting, or reducing, APD on domestic flights only, I would have thought that it would fall foul of EU internal market law as discriminatory if comparable UK-EU flights are not included in the exemption/reduction.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 4:39 am

Programs: BA
The above left example is simply as the KOI-GLA legs are subject to ADS and as such you get a discount for those flights for ADS membership. On top of this you would also get the APD exemption. The example on the right would only get the APD discount as it leaves from KOI but is available to everyone. The two APD & APS remain as separate things.

If you where to start at INV then ADS would not help you as INV-LHR flights are not subject to ADS discounts. But you would still get APD exemption.
Correct, but I thought we were discussing why INV has the APD exemption while ABZ does not? I am saying that I suspect (but I could be wrong) that is because INV is in the same postcode as some areas eligible for ADS (IV) while ABZ postcode area (AB) is not.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 4:43 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by alvinlwh
Correct, but I thought we were discussing why INV has the APD exemption while ABZ does not? I am saying that I suspect (but I could be wrong) that is because INV is in the same postcode as some areas eligible for ADS (IV) while ABZ postcode area (AB) is not.
How long does Inverness have no APD?

specifically post 3, Aberdeen is not in the list

Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
https://www.gov.uk/government/public...tions-from-apd

APD exemptions:

3.2.3 Scottish Highlands and Islands
Passengers carried on flights departing from airports in the Scottish Highlands and Islands region are not chargeable passengers.

This area is defined as:

the Highland Region, Western Isles Islands Area, Orkney Islands Area, Shetland Islands Area, Argyll and Bute District, Arran, Great Cumbrae and Little Cumbrae, and in the Moray District, the parishes of Aberlour, Cabrach, Dallas, Dyke, Edinkillie, Forres, Inveravon, Kinloss, Kirkmichael, Knockando, Mortlach, Rafford and Rothes

Last edited by KARFA; Jan 15, 2020 at 4:50 am
Old Jan 15, 2020, 4:58 am

Programs: Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by LimitingFactor
The BBC article said he is willing to do without assistance - if so, surely bring it on and do it anyway? Does he need permission? (Summer only)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51117885
Ah that makes more than the way I had understood
it from the radio this morning.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 4:59 am

Originally Posted by Kgmm77
What other regional carriers? Loganair? Who else? Don’t Eastern Airways survive on charter business and operating for FlyBe?

I’m not sure it’s as simple as incompetence. Subsidising outside the south east of England, whilst anathema to some, is certainly worthy of discussion. Particularly given the economic shitstorm the UK is about to head into.
Sure, in which case slot protect & subsidise the essential routes and tender them to all comers. However Flybe as an organisation is set up to be a profitable commercial enterprise making shareholder returns and not a social service, and in that they have proved grossly incompetent for over a decade (arguably even before the float). Take a look at their reckless expansion over the last decade and in particular the venture into EMB jets.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 5:00 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
I bet the government remove it only for smaller aircraft but actually increase it for larger aircraft (to keep Greta et al happy)
Old Jan 15, 2020, 5:09 am

Programs: Honors Diamond
Does it seem that unreasonable? BA exited this sometime ago as they did not what to back it. Virgin (aka Delta) only bought in last year - presumably knowing what was involved.
I see that but from the government’s perspective regional connectivity and airports were at risk. They have managed to do a deal with Delta/Virgin and the rest of the investors to preserve it (for now). You can argue that the investors should have seen this coming but they didn’t and we are where we are. Given that context I doubt government will be particularly pleased with Walsh complaining about it when he/IAG isn’t prepared to offer a solution to their problem beyond some summer-only flights between London and Newquay.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 5:24 am

Programs: BAEC, Ib+, Accor, HHonors
Originally Posted by A P Yu
I bet the government remove it only for smaller aircraft but actually increase it for larger aircraft (to keep Greta et al happy)
This would favour airlines with small airplanes compared to airlines with large airplanes. That's anti-competitive, and unlikely to happen.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 6:46 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Kgmm77
Willie Walsh is understandably protecting IAGs interests. But in terms of realpolitik, I suspect he’s peeing into the wind against a cohort of freshly minted regional Government MPs who have no desire to let their local electorate down at the first opportunity.
Exactly - this is all about politics. The new Government does not want another Tommy Cook just after taking power and with so many constituencies affected. The Government could not care less about the airline business, but it cares how it is perceived.

I actually think that a potentially dangerous precedent has been set. This was money collected for the Government from the passengers, I think that the shareholders or administrators of Thomas Cook and Monarch have every justification to shout foul
Old Jan 15, 2020, 6:51 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by A P Yu
I don't think UK govt cares about Greta, more about small business and countryside routes. I think they should just remove APD on domestic flights all together ( a better way of subsidising routes without physically using taxpayer money) will make the conservative govt look good for tax cuts which is what most people want anyway.

Last edited by ahmetdouas; Jan 15, 2020 at 6:59 am
Old Jan 15, 2020, 6:54 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum
Thomas Cook and Monarch, much as I was sad to see them go, had no strategic importance unfortunately. Flybe for all of its faults does.

I'm generally minded towards not bailing out failing or failed businesses, but I can see why a distinction is made.

However (and it is a big however), big questions need to be asked of Virgin here. Why haven't they intervened more forcefully, and if the government does provide support what are they going to do going forward? It would be ridiculous if the government stepped in to save regional connections and Virgin canned much of the network regardless.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 6:57 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by Bohinjska Bistrica
Thomas Cook and Monarch, much as I was sad to see them go, had no strategic importance unfortunately. Flybe for all of its faults does.

I'm generally minded towards not bailing out failing or failed businesses, but I can see why a distinction is made.

However (and it is a big however), big questions need to be asked of Virgin here. Why haven't they intervened more forcefully, and if the government does provide support what are they going to do going forward? It would be ridiculous if the government stepped in to save regional connections and Virgin canned much of the network regardless.
They probably knew the govt would do something about it (why use your own money when someone else can do that for you?).

If it went towards Administration, perhaps then they might have intervened, who knows, maybe even have let it gone down and bought its assets out and call it Virgin Regional?
Old Jan 15, 2020, 7:03 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Originally Posted by allturnleft
Interesting Willie Walsh is moaning about the bail out this morning saying its anti-competitive.

I find this a bit rich as BA bailed on its regional operations when it sold BA connect.

But as others have said where is Virgin et al in all this ; have they lumped any money in; are they operating Flybe at arms length. No attempt at rebranding has happened yet or that much rationalisation of services. There has been little detail on this in the press
Outside the wider should they be bailed out or not issue I do think it's utterly ridiculous for BA to complain about it being anti competitive.

I'm struggling to think of many routes BA and FlyBe compete on at all, let alone FlyBe routes BA would like to pick up.
allturnleft likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.