Wiki Posts
Search

Last BA flight to NYC

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2020, 8:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FB, GGL, IHG, Hilton
Last BA flight to NYC

I swore I would stop flying BA to NYC last year and then in a moment of new year madness and probably too much booze I booked another. Lesson learned after 3 hours in immigration. Very last time, either use AA or go via Philly or Charlotte. BAs biggest revenue route and it goes into the worst customer experience.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
You aren’t the first and won’t be the last to complain about T7 immigration.

it got a good airing a couple of weeks ago as well.

as the terminal operator BA have raised this numerous times with the CBP but it’s down to CBP to staff it at the level they and not BA want or need them to.

things should improve in 2022!
Joeykins and BearX220 like this.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 12:10 am

Originally Posted by Roryb
I swore I would stop flying BA to NYC last year and then in a moment of new year madness and probably too much booze I booked another. Lesson learned after 3 hours in immigration. Very last time, either use AA or go via Philly or Charlotte. BAs biggest revenue route and it goes into the worst customer experience.
Have you ever considered getting Global Entry? Like you, we got frustrated by frequent delays at immigration so my family all applied for GE. It is a long process to complete but now we’ve completed it we’ve never had to wait at immigration when arriving in the US. I highly recommend the programme.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 12:18 am

Can you tell us which flight you were on, and what class? Three hours seem really excessive, were there several other arrivals just ahead of you?

Shuly
Old Jan 14, 2020, 12:44 am

I started a similar thread in November after an excessive wait at immigration. Prior to that I’d only ever flown AA (well I’d also flown DL & EI but in terms of the joint venture) and always breezes through immigration when landing at T8. As a result, I’m back on AA metal for my NYC flights this year
Old Jan 14, 2020, 1:15 am
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
Originally Posted by andymcdonnell
I started a similar thread in November after an excessive wait at immigration. Prior to that I’d only ever flown AA (well I’d also flown DL & EI but in terms of the joint venture) and always breezes through immigration when landing at T8. As a result, I’m back on AA metal for my NYC flights this year
You can start as many threads every time. But what you encountered is just JFK.

Without GE it can be 10 minutes or much longer like you experienced. That’s just the way it is. Frustrating yes. Random- yes. But hasn’t changed for years. And for the record- my longest wait ever (pre GE) was at Terminal 8, so perhaps you’ll be posting after your next trip on the AA forum?
Old Jan 14, 2020, 1:47 am

Originally Posted by DFB_london
You can start as many threads every time. But what you encountered is just JFK.

Without GE it can be 10 minutes or much longer like you experienced. That’s just the way it is. Frustrating yes. Random- yes. But hasn’t changed for years. And for the record- my longest wait ever (pre GE) was at Terminal 8, so perhaps you’ll be posting after your next trip on the AA forum?
Terminal 8 is better than Terminal 7 right now for a few reasons.

The BA terminal (T7) suffers from peaks and troughs of arriving passengers who are all getting off large wide-bodied aircraft. These surges of passengers are difficult to manage for CBP.

Terminal 8 is quieter now than before - AA has cutback some flights - but it’s international arrivals are more varied, 737s and 777s etc.

I guess it depends on the time of the year but I’d wager that T8 has a higher proportion of US citizens arriving who can be processed quicker.
Joeykins and mec72 like this.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 2:45 am

Programs: BA Gold, Star Alliance Silver
It's not that hard for CBP to manage? It's hardly a surprise the planes are arriving at that point in time with that passenger numbers is it? They dont just land out of the blue.

The UK is just as bad - quite why they let US, Australia etc. nationals use the EU lanes LHR I do not know - make them wait.
In fact, I would make every US citizen wait at least 30 mins by default as a "punishment" for the JFK experience.
kosy91 likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 2:51 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Originally Posted by WingsAroundtheWorld
It's not that hard for CBP to manage? It's hardly a surprise the planes are arriving at that point in time with that passenger numbers is it? They dont just land out of the blue.

The UK is just as bad - quite why they let US, Australia etc. nationals use the EU lanes LHR I do not know - make them wait.
In fact, I would make every US citizen wait at least 30 mins by default as a "punishment" for the JFK experience.
There is no need to punish anyone. AA terminal should be better. How is EWR?

On the west coast I found SFO much worse than LAX, so I may just fly to LAX and clear immigration there next time I go to California.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 2:54 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
Immigration can be frustating, I'm with you there... I had a similar experience going in to Atlanta a few years ago, absolutely mental queues and several hours I will never get back.

If you're a regular traveller to the US then I'd strongly recommend getting Global Entry. Even when the queues to the immigration hall are going up the ramp at JFK T7 I can be from the airplane door to the kerb in under 10 minutes.
argonath likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 3:44 am

Programs: BAEC, AerClub
Have you considered flying to JFK via DUB?
Immigration pre clearance is a major advantage.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 3:45 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by WingsAroundtheWorld
They don't care... people still use JFK whatever.

It makes me chuckle when I hear people complaining about MAN on here. Compared to JFK, it's like SIN...

And I'm guessing T4 is worse than T7 (not been through T7 for years). Huge queues for immigration (even with the APC terminals), with thousands of people who have no idea where they are supposed to go or what they are supposed to do. On the return, no toilets in the T4 departures area prior to security - which is great after a long taxi ride or train journey.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 4:25 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
I'm sure Global Entry is great if you are eligible.

The rest of us already paid for an immigration service and we get crap.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 4:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

EWR off either of the BA flights is, IME, very easy.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 5:33 am
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
Originally Posted by flatlander
I'm sure Global Entry is great if you are eligible.

The rest of us already paid for an immigration service and we get crap.
The issue in the is is you (generally) don’t pay much for it so you have paid for an already stretched low budget service. you get what you pay for. Want better? Convince US politicians to raise taxes and charges then..,.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.