Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Last BA flight to NYC

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2020, 12:30 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum Amb, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Roryb
I have but TBH BA and NYC is the only time I would ever use it. Flying to LAX and Philadelphia (my main other two US destinations) never takes more than 20 mins plane door to exiting immigration (and thats doing it monthly). Seems easier just to make sure you always use AA into NYC.
Outbound from NYC the T7 Concorde Lounge is pretty much one of the best lounges I have used in the US and would always try and go that way.
Don't underestimate the time saving you get leaving the US and, if applicable, doing internal flights: GE comes with TSA Pre and that scheme has saved me hours of queuing in less than 12 months. I do a fair few internal US flights and it's been life-changing.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: FB, GGL, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by Roryb
BA179 I think on club. There was an Iberia and Lot I think already in the queue.
I have found arriving after about 7pm compounds the issue. I assume CBP are on night shift as there are never more than a couple of desks open. Test 24 hours later as partner arrives on AA at the same time.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 12:42 pm

Pre clearance

Use Pre-clearance!
argonath and dougzz like this.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 1:24 pm

Programs: BA Gold
GE is less than £150 for 5 years. Assuming you’re eligible why wouldn’t you. I go to the USA typically 3 times per year, factor in pre-clearance and you have to be a glutton for punishment to not apply. Having had it for a couple of years now I’d pay that per year for the convenience.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 3:11 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by dougzz
GE is less than £150 for 5 years. Assuming you’re eligible why wouldn’t you. I go to the USA typically 3 times per year, factor in pre-clearance and you have to be a glutton for punishment to not apply. Having had it for a couple of years now I’d pay that per year for the convenience.
This!! If you go to the US more than once a year then GE is a life changing experience. The speed of getting in to the US, and the ease of flying around it with TSA Pre, makes it worth every single penny IMHO
Old Jan 14, 2020, 4:22 pm

Programs: KLM, BA Silver, Etihad
As Amex Platinum holders I believe we can get this GE thing for free. Where would this face to face meeting be held?

we only go to the US once a year but if it's free we may as well apply
Old Jan 14, 2020, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
The problem with GE at the moment is, since late 2018 , the very lengthy delay in getting conditional approval.

It's veen taking months rather than weeks.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 11:27 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by RockyRobin
Where would this face to face meeting be held?
List of current GE interview locations.

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
The problem with GE at the moment is, since late 2018 , the very lengthy delay in getting conditional approval.

It's veen taking months rather than weeks.
I saw up thread somebody saying they'd been waiting months - I was surprised to read that... Think I'll leave plenty of time for my renewal to be processed!
Old Jan 14, 2020, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As long as you apply for renewal before your existing approval lapses then they give you 6 months extra.

Though you can apply for renewal up-to a year in advance

the trusted traveller board has the most up-to date info

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trusted-travelers-732/
Lucanesque likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As Amex Platinum holders I believe we can get this GE thing for free. Where would this face to face meeting be held?

Does Amex refund you the cost of getting your U.K. clearance which is about £40 as well as the $100 GE fee?

I wouldn’t call GE a ‘thing’ in front of the CBP! it’s a very valuable privilege not easily given and jealously guarded by those that have it that can be taken away from you even for minor infractions such as not declaring foods when entering the USA.
Lucanesque and BarneyMcGrew like this.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 12:43 am

Programs: BA Gold

I believe that’s on USA cards not the UK ones.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 1:00 am

Programs: BA Gold. KrisFlyer Gold
What we need is extensive first hand reports of the size of the queues for the different BA flights (assuming on-time arrivals). Sometimes you're the only person there, other times it's 1-3 hours. Admittedly this will be only vaguely accurate as it's so context dependent, particularly on the arrival times of other airlines' flights.

But, we might be able to get some general sense. Like others, I've come to realise that 179 is consistently terrible. That's a no-go flight for me now.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 1:14 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de Actes Bénéfiques pour les Autres, BAEC Gold.
Originally Posted by crazyanglaisy
What we need is extensive first hand reports of the size of the queues for the different BA flights (assuming on-time arrivals). Sometimes you're the only person there, other times it's 1-3 hours. Admittedly this will be only vaguely accurate as it's so context dependent, particularly on the arrival times of other airlines' flights.

But, we might be able to get some general sense. Like others, I've come to realise that 179 is consistently terrible. That's a no-go flight for me now.
I must admit, having read the various horror stories about Immigration queues at JFK T7, even with Global Entry I was rather dreading my arrival on BA117 last month, just before Christmas.

However, upon getting to immigration, there was only one other person at the GE machines. A quick photo (after I had worked out that the machine didn’t need my passport or fingerprints) and I was called straight forward to the CBP booth.

A quick couple of questions from the CBP Officer (reason and length of stay), passport stamped, and I was through – in less than 2 minutes after arriving at the GE machine.

Even the baggage was pretty quick in getting from aircraft to carousel and I was reunited with my bag and out of arrivals in less than 15 minutes.

I suppose it could have been down to both having GE and the timing as the BA117 lands at 11.30am (it was on time), but it was all very quick and there seemed to be a lot of CBP on duty.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 1:41 am

Originally Posted by crazyanglaisy

You mean like this? https://awt.cbp.gov/

I appreciate it's not done by flight number, only by time of day, but it's a pretty good way to figure out what your wait might be.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by BarneyMcGrew
I must admit, having read the various horror stories about Immigration queues at JFK T7, even with Global Entry I was rather dreading my arrival on BA117 last month, just before Christmas.

BA117 is the only flight arriving during a 2-3-hour slot on most days. It should be better than others.

Shuly

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.