Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Thread search about Name Change on Expedia booking

Old Jan 13, 20, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.

I have tried the search function, but cannot find the thread.. I am sure there was a similar thread not so long ago........... My daughter bought an AA/BA ticket LHR - LAX 30th Jan 2020, via Expedia. Unfortunately, Expedia used her sign in name, rather than passport name, to make the booking. (Think - Fred versus Frederick). She told Expedia after about 36 hours, but they appear to have a "tomorrow" philosophy. It is now 6 days later, and there has been no name change.
Does anyone have a link to the old thread. If not, any ideas on how to fix this, please?
Old Jan 13, 20, 12:09 pm

That should not be a problem. A shortened first name happens all the time.
Old Jan 13, 20, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

AA have said that Fred versus Frederick is not acceptable at LHR. It might be OK for the BA flight LAX to LHR, but not for the AA flight. LHR to LAX
Old Jan 13, 20, 1:03 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I know that Chris vs Christopher has worked many many times
Old Jan 13, 20, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies so far. My example was too simplified. In the abbreviated name, the letters change. (Think Josie versus Josephine. ) AA say it needs to be accurate. The passport and ESTA are accurate.
Old Jan 13, 20, 1:46 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Ancient Observer View Post
AA have said that Fred versus Frederick is not acceptable at LHR. It might be OK for the BA flight LAX to LHR, but not for the AA flight. LHR to LAX
Always check here before contacting an airline!

Thanks to hippy parents I travel on a different name to my passport, including AA umpteen times a year. Fred is totally acceptable for a Frederick, so long as you don't ring up and ask, since they may well put a note on the PNR. In that scenario you best do and say nothing, however the APIS needs to be correct. Well, even the DHS allows a bit of name drift, they are more bothered about passport number, expiry date and date of birth since they match on that primarily.
Joeykins and nancypants like this.
Old Jan 13, 20, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver / VS /IHG Spire & Ambassador
Expedia used her sign in name on the booking because that is what she chose to use and selected during booking. They aren't to know it's not the same as her passport name.

There are chances to correct names during the booking process.

My expedia account name is my shortened first name. In my profile I have a secondary traveller which is me but with my full passport name and details.

As Angela would say- take some personal responsibility!
Nephoi and alvinlwh like this.
Old Jan 13, 20, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

Travelbear.
We agree.
She describes it as the same as mobile phone predictive text.................it is easy to get that wrong!

CWS - yes.................
Old Jan 14, 20, 7:52 am
Original Poster

Expedia are now saying that name Correction is not allowed.
Whilst I understand that Name Changes are not allowed on cheapo tickets, (which my daughter bought), I would have thought that name corrections are OK.
Old Jan 14, 20, 8:14 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I think this is essentially Expedia's SOP, and an SOP shared with other flight booking companies. I'm not sure contacting Expedia within 24 hours would have helped your daughter either. In the case of Expedia (but not some other OTA) I very much doubt she saved any money, it's just a massively easier interface to book on compared to dear old BA.com. But booking with BA.com would have given advantages including name correction / changes in the first 24 hours. I hope I'm not coming over all #Angela-esque.

She probably has 3 choices plus two just-in-case options.
- Throw in the ticket, buy a new one, get whatever refund Expedia allows (which could be nothing). Book a new ticket, more carefully
- Go to the airport, say nothing, see if they pick it up at check-in and perhaps pay a change fee to AA.
- Go HBO, turn up at the gate late in the process (APIS should have cleared her already), on the LHR scanners it is just the family name that comes up, so it's unlkely to be spotted at this point. However with AA you have to go through a security interview , you can do this at the gate but AA do everything they can to avoid this. That interview isn't about the ticket, it's about detecting whether her reason for travel is trustworthy.

The two sub-variants are:
- if the flight is someway off, AA may well change the flight timings. If so this may allow a free cancelaltion or credit note.
- if you do end up being pinged for a lot of money she can investigate the Consumer Rights Act (see Dashboard thread) to see if this is an unbalanced piece of the contract.
Nephoi likes this.
Old Jan 14, 20, 8:21 am

Not Expedia but on Orbitz I made a similar mistake with names. I caught it immediately and contacted Orbitz CS. They couldn't update the name due to system limitations in working with airline and easiest solution was to just cancel tickets since I was within 24 hours and rebook. Unfortunately not an option in your case.
Old Jan 14, 20, 11:01 am

Again, name variations are extremely common and almost never an issue. I have traveled multiple times across carriers with first and last name reversed, first and (part of) middle name merged, and mistakes in either the first or last name. My son when flying AA often has 'master+name' as his first name (which is appropriate but not his name). A holdover from the booking system for designating infants. Never a problem.
Old Jan 14, 20, 11:16 am
Original Poster

Thank you all for your considered responses.
Great community. As ever, CWS extremely helpful.
As CWS said in an earlier post, we should have asked here first !
Expedia was too easy to book with! As to the SOP involved, I too think it was Expedia. She should have suffered BA.com!!
Thinking cap time!
AO
Old Jan 15, 20, 4:48 pm
Original Poster

Well, well. Luck and persistent nagging.

Following what feels like rather too many tweets over a long time to Expedia, and 2 long calls to AA, I established that by luck the ticket bought was not one of Expedia's special cheapo deals which can never be changed, but was according to AA a more regular, heavily restricted BA/AA/oneworld "offer". One that I can nearly price up on BA . Both AA agents were very helpful.

According to AA, the ticket type meant that changes from "nicknames" to proper names were allowed, and essential. They said that Expedia could make the change. It might and might not require a ticket re-issue, and might require a fee.

Expedia spent a week denying this and asserting in writing that they had spoken to AA and it could not be done. - So, as CWS suggested, this was an Expedia SOP, not Oneworld.

AA pointed out during the second long call this morning that at no stage had Expedia contacted them. Expedia had to make the change. Via yet another tweet with Expedia, on twitter messaging, I let them know this, and compared it to what they had put in writing...........as they kept asserting that they had contacted the airline, when the airline said that they had not been contacted.

A couple of hours later, Expedia said that they had persuaded the airline to make the change............. ............

Thanks for everyone's help. I have a grateful daughter.

As an aside, some of the LHR to LAX tickets for late Jan/early Feb. are priced at 288 return for Basic Econ.. From LHR area to Edinburgh on the Train in Economy is 328.

Last edited by Ancient Observer; Jan 15, 20 at 4:59 pm
Old Jan 15, 20, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by Ancient Observer View Post
As an aside, some of the LHR to LAX tickets for late Jan/early Feb. are priced at 288 return for Basic Econ.. From LHR area to Edinburgh on the Train in Economy is 328.
I'm glad that's been sorted out, though to be honest I think your daughter could have blagged her way on board in the unlikely event she was challenged.

As for the fares, that's actually quite an expensive LAX fare. As commented on in the main Sale thread, the cheapest LAX fare is actually 278.57 return, and is for sale at that price on BA.com with plenty of availability.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: