Wiki Posts
Search

Lounge in Cologne?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2020, 2:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA, VS
Lounge in Cologne?

I've looked at both the BA and OneWorld websites as well as the lounge database here, but can't seem to find a reference to a lounge. Is there no provision for one at all?
Old Jan 12, 2020, 2:09 pm

No, there isn't. If you got PP, there's a s***ty PP lounge you can use.

Oh, and no OLCI for BA pax ex CGN. I don't know why, you can do OLCI on most other carriers serving CGN.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 2:10 pm

Programs: BA, Hilton
There was no provision at all as of March 2019. Have not read any updates to that, would assume they would be fairly promptly reported in the lounge thread.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 2:28 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by jamstead
I've looked at both the BA and OneWorld websites as well as the lounge database here, but can't seem to find a reference to a lounge. Is there no provision for one at all?
Off topic slightly, however Cologne is a horrendous airport. I queued for an hour on arrival in November with our 11 month old daughter. 1 immigration officer to deal with 4 arriving aircraft. It was ridiculous. The non EU line never even moved.

On departure, security and yet another passport queue added up to over 2 hours.

I vowed never to use that hell hole again.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 4:10 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by mclachlan4321
Off topic slightly, however Cologne is a horrendous airport. I queued for an hour on arrival in November with our 11 month old daughter. 1 immigration officer to deal with 4 arriving aircraft. It was ridiculous. The non EU line never even moved.

On departure, security and yet another passport queue added up to over 2 hours.

I vowed never to use that hell hole again.
Agree - being German myself, I say its the worst German airport we have. Not even a proper F&B offering. Suitable for TuiFly and Ryanair maybe.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by mclachlan4321
Off topic slightly, however Cologne is a horrendous airport.
No disagreement, I can't think of anything CE got on the ground (Mar 2019)....Experience similar to yours, i.e.
- no online checkin
- long queues to check in with no dedicated Business/Status desk (I think one maybe opened just as we got checked in, about 40 mins wait)
- no lounge as mentioned
- bus gate from a downstairs "holding pen"
- lengthy queues to exit Schengen

We went for the carnival and had a fantastic time, but boy does the airport try its best to take the shine off the trip!!
Old Jan 12, 2020, 4:17 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Here is something I prepared earlier in the main Europe lounge thread:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30449016-post749.html

I did complain by email about the delay on Fast Track security at Cologne (specifically that it was slower than main security). I got a reply back from the airport's PR people saying with refreshing candour, something like "we looked at the CCTV footage, and you are correct, Fast Track was the slowest lane. We will do something about it".

Regardless, it's not a bad airport, in my opinion, and sometimes is one of the few places in Europe where you can do a back to back with checked luggage! There again my calibration of what Hell looks like may be different to other people.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
.... There again my calibration of what Hell looks like may be different to other people.
At the risk of being further OT, that thought did pop into my head, I suspect you'll see 20 or more airports for every one I see, so I've no doubt there will be worse out there.

For us (and our travel companions who are working their way up the BAEC tree) it was a very stark reminder of how much we'd got used to our status (or cabin) benefits and how much they can smooth the process! Maybe that's no bad thing.....
Old Jan 12, 2020, 4:44 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by BertieBadger
At the risk of being further OT, that thought did pop into my head, I suspect you'll see 20 or more airports for every one I see, so I've no doubt there will be worse out there.
Yes I can confirm that Mbuji Mayi airport in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, is, in my experience, somewhat worse than Cologne. Along with Manchester of course. MJM has the unique experience of having an apron in such poor condition that a number of accidents have been caused purely by aircraft trundling along it.
:D!, redpalmetto and Capt Hammond like this.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by Duck1981
Agree - being German myself, I say its the worst German airport we have. Not even a proper F&B offering. Suitable for TuiFly and Ryanair maybe.
CGN is fine for most airlines other than BA.

The LH SEN lounge is ok for an outstation lounge. In constrast to BA, OLCI works with LH and EW. Distances to the gates typically used by LH (and, to some extent, EW) are relatively short.
The airport facilities are fine for a regional airport: There's a supermarket in the public area, a train station served by both local and high-speed trains, etc.
Finally, the airport's on-time performance is good.

---

BA regularly sells o/w tickets between CGN and LGW for as little as EUR/GBP 20. Some guys seem a little confused as to which market BA targets in CGN (and which in DUS).

Last edited by R.O.; Jan 12, 2020 at 11:14 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.