FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Removal of Red ‘Cut Here’ Square on Fuselage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/2003937-removal-red-cut-here-square-fuselage.html)

BAeuro Jan 12, 2020 7:26 am

Removal of Red ‘Cut Here’ Square on Fuselage

Yesterday I was boarding a G-GAT A320 and could clearly see the usual Red Square on the fuselage showing where to cut in an emergency. However, I realised the BA NEO next to us didn’t have these markings. I also realised that the aircraft that have had a new coat of paint recently don’t have these anymore.

Was it BA’s decision to remove these from its livery or a change in safety requirements by Airbus?

T8191 Jan 12, 2020 8:25 am

Or a slightly different internal structure?

gw76 Jan 12, 2020 8:34 am

in any photographed incidents, Im trying to recall if ive ever seen a specific cut out hole from rescuers in those zones?

RGS5526 Jan 12, 2020 8:52 am

I am another who cannot recall seeing any pictures with evidence of the "cut here" guidance being used, and neither have I ever noticed evidence of the flight deck crash axe being used.

HIDDY Jan 12, 2020 9:37 am

What's it used for?

T8191 Jan 12, 2020 9:54 am

Originally Posted by HIDDY (Post 31940611)
What's it used for?

Seriously? A point in the aircraft structure which might, in extreme circumstances, facilitate the entry of rescue personall and/or equipment. Somewhere clear on major internal structures, in other words.

And, no, I’ve never seen them used either in either Mil or Civ scenarios.

HIDDY Jan 12, 2020 9:56 am

Originally Posted by T8191 (Post 31940689)
Seriously? A point in the aircraft structure which might, in extreme circumstances, facilitate the entry of rescue personall and/or equipment. Somewhere clear on major internal structures, in other words.

Had no idea to be honest. ^

1Aturnleft Jan 12, 2020 10:06 am

They used one in Airport '79 (The Concorde) when it crash landed on a ski run in the Alps. George Kennedy got out just in time before the whole thing blew up. Thankful for red cut here squares.

gw76 Jan 12, 2020 10:59 am

...used once in 40 years (!) no wonder they're getting rid!

BAeuro Jan 15, 2020 3:04 pm

Been looking at some of the aircraft that have been repainted in the last year and they have all had this red square painted over.

Also, I can’t see any evidence that other UK airlines such as easyJet and Monarch had these markings. So perhaps it was a BA thing for increased ‘safety’ in emergencies which has now been chosen to remove.

cgtechuk Jan 15, 2020 3:16 pm

I think the first time I actually noticed this was on the side of the babybus,

rapidex Jan 15, 2020 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by HIDDY (Post 31940611)
What's it used for?

Opening bar boxes that are bent or jammed.:D

nancypants Jan 15, 2020 4:45 pm

A shame, it adds a certain je ne sais quois IMO. Makes you feel like you’re doing something slightly dangerous

it’s not the greatest photo ever taken but I just confirmed the bras still has it- although no spare money in the budget for new livery round here ;)
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...1e8368939.jpeg

HIDDY Jan 15, 2020 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by rapidex (Post 31955315)
Opening bar boxes that are bent or jammed.:D

Might have known you'd know that. :p

alvinlwh Jan 16, 2020 3:51 am

Originally Posted by T8191 (Post 31940689)

I think they are also clear of fuel and electrical lines, and in military case, clear of the trigger for the ejection seat too.

OT a bit here...
No "Cut here" on a F16 but it says:
RESCUE> 1. Push button to open door 2. Pull ring out 6 feet to jettison canopy