Wiki Posts
Search

BAEC Grace Period Both Ways?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2020, 5:46 am
Original Poster

BAEC Grace Period Both Ways?

Hi All,

New to the forum and pretty new to the world of loyalty clubs. I’ve been reading about the 2 week grace period on BA and wondered if it works both ways?

ill explain - many of the grace periods I’ve seen are to extend the period to allow a flight to count in the current year - I would actually like a flight in this period to count next year if that makes sense?

ive booked a business class flight to Vegas on 2-6th April and my tier point collection year ends on 8th April. I’d like to give it a proper go next year and try to get out of blue for the first time - has anyone heard of the flexibility being given this was around?

Thanks in advance and great forum!

Mark
Old Jan 12, 2020, 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Welcome GibFlyer

I don’t think this is possible
Old Jan 12, 2020, 5:49 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Welcome to FT GibFlyer.

Now the bad news, the answer is no. You cannot credit any flight in your current year to your next year, and there is no flexibility on this whatsoever. Sorry!
orbitmic likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 5:54 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, IHG Spire, AMEX Plat
As above the answers no.

Maybe book a return flight in Europe for this year so you get to bronze? Higher earnings for your push next year and can book seats 7 days in advance instead of 24hrs.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 6:00 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient
Welcome to FT GibFlyer

What is your route to Las Vegas? I'm guessing you are based in Gilbraltar from your profile name? So if you fly GIB-LON-LAS return in CE and CW you would earn enough to get to Bronze in your current year. If you are in ET on the GIB - Lon sector why not upgrade the GIB - LON to CE?
Old Jan 12, 2020, 6:06 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Welcome to Flyertalk GibFlyer and welcome to the BA forum. It's good to see you here, welcome on board.

I can only go along with the other contributions here that you can't defer TPs to the next year. This tends to be an issue at the start of one's frequent flying career, once you get going it ends up all being in the wash. The point about BAEC is that you should gravitate to your right level without too much jiggery-pokery (admitted the entire forum seems based on doing exactly this....) and there isn't much point being Gold or Silver or Bronze if you don't do much flying anyway.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 6:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AJA_
Welcome to FT GibFlyer

What is your route to Las Vegas? I'm guessing you are based in Gilbraltar from your profile name? So if you fly GIB-LON-LAS return in CE and CW you would earn enough to get to Bronze in your current year. If you are in ET on the GIB - Lon sector why not upgrade the GIB - LON to CE?
Great detective skills! I am indeed in Gibraltar but unfortunately I’m flying on another airline for the GIB-LON part, only coming back LON-GIB with BA.

Daft question on my side - if I was to get to Bronze this year I’d only benefit for a few days wouldn’t I or if I manage it this year do I keep bronze next year too?

Thanks for your help.
Mark
Old Jan 12, 2020, 6:09 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
No, you would keep it until 31/5/21
GibFlyer likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 6:09 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by GibFlyer
Daft question on my side - if I was to get to Bronze this year I’d only benefit for a few days wouldn’t I or if I manage it this year do I keep bronze next year too?
When you get status on BA you keep it for at least 13 months, even if you get it to the end of your year. And from Silver there is a soft landing to Bronze the year after too.

Have a look at the sticky on the front of the forum about BAEC for more information.
GibFlyer likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 6:10 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Another option would be to close your existing BAEC account and start a new one. Worth checking the pros and cons of doing this.
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 6:44 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Mucci recipient
Great detective skills! I am indeed in Gibraltar but unfortunately I’m flying on another airline for the GIB-LON part, only coming back LON-GIB with BA.

Thanks for your help.
Mark
What cabin are you travelling in from LON to GIB ?

I've just realised if you upgrade that to CE the one way flight will get you to Bronze as you'd earn 140 each way LON - LAS giving you 280 tier points so you only need another 20 to get Bronze and a one way LON-GIB in CE is 40 TPs so you'd have 320.

As others have already said you would be bronze until 31 May 2021.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 9:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AJA_
What cabin are you travelling in from LON to GIB ?

I've just realised if you upgrade that to CE the one way flight will get you to Bronze as you'd earn 140 each way LON - LAS giving you 280 tier points so you only need another 20 to get Bronze and a one way LON-GIB in CE is 40 TPs so you'd have 320.

As others have already said you would be bronze until 31 May 2021.
I’ve just noticed I already have 40 tier points from other flights this year - I hadn’t realised it carried over so the 280 from the Vegas trip will see me in bronze next year without the upgrade!

LHR to GIB doesn’t get you many tier points that’s my most frequent flight!

Thanks for all the replies.
AJA_ likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 10:21 am

Programs: BA (Gold)
I’ve just noticed I already have 40 tier points from other flights this year - I hadn’t realised it carried over so the 280 from the Vegas trip will see me in bronze next year without the upgrade!

I fly LON-GIB-LON regularly. Recommend you check the upgrade options online semi-regularly leading up to departure and at the airport on the day of travel. I often have snagged some half decent deals on this route, I personally consider £100~ worth it for the extra TP as I usually need a CE flight or two to ensure I hit Gold each year . Having said all that, the upgrade prices online for the route are often more extortionate than they are generous, especially for only a 3hr flight.
GibFlyer likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 12:17 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star

in Y no, I have similar from KRK, so often look at CE. Its sometimes similarly priced and occasionally cheaper than Y, especially if I am booking relatively late and the discounted Y has all gone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.