Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Flights cheaper with car hire - if we don't collect it are there any consequences?

Flights cheaper with car hire - if we don't collect it are there any consequences?

Old Jan 10, 2020, 6:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: avios

A question if I may? We want to book flights with a group of friends and only pay a deposit now because one of our friends has been having treatment for a serious illness. It seems we can do this by adding a car rental to the booking. It even makes the overall cost cheaper!!! We probably won't want the car and if we didn't pick it up I wondered there could be any consequences for not using it?

Thanks
Old Jan 10, 2020, 6:17 am

Programs: BAEC
No issues, your plan is sound.
Passmethesickbag and tmac100 like this.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
No, leave it and enjoy the holiday
Old Jan 10, 2020, 6:29 am
WLX

No issues in respect of the car hire as far as I know. But make sure that you are content with the terms and conditions as they may differ from booking the flights alone.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 6:45 am

Programs: BAEC - Silver
There is talk of some issues on the below thread:

BA Holiday - Avis charging no-show fee

This thread does also quote Avis' terms saying that the penalty for a no show on a pre-paid hire is the cost of the rental which presumably means no refund and thus you'll be fine.

I can only presume, (can anyone confirm or refute), that the reason the costs are cheaper when booking both together is that Avis must give a kick back to BA and take it on the chine that they get -xx for the rental. IIf so the only way they can make money is by upselling upgrades, excessive fuel pre-payments and additional excess insurance. If so then by no-showing they have no opportunity to upsell you and may charge but it the T&C's don't allow it then they can't!

Just some thoughts.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 6:55 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Welcome to Flyertalk VinnyTheKid, and welcome in particular to the BA forum. I hope you will enjoy participating here, and that we will see more of you in the future.

The quote above is the one and only case that I can recall (I can recall another case where someone was late to collect the car and the car hire people recalculated some extortionate fee for it, but that's radically different from what you are proposing). Unfortunately we don't know whether anything else developed from that event.

Personally I think you would be fine not to take the car, even in the case above the fee was "small".
Old Jan 10, 2020, 6:57 am
Suspended

Technically, you are not using the booking as intended and there could be a penalty for this.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
This topic emerges on BAFT regularly, with the general perspective that there’s no problem with ignoring the hire car on arrival.

Can anyone recall anyone reporting back here to say there was a problem?
argonath likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 7:30 am
WLX

Originally Posted by Soft Top
There is talk of some issues on the below thread:

BA Holiday - Avis charging no-show fee

This thread does also quote Avis' terms saying that the penalty for a no show on a pre-paid hire is the cost of the rental which presumably means no refund and thus you'll be fine.

I can only presume, (can anyone confirm or refute), that the reason the costs are cheaper when booking both together is that Avis must give a kick back to BA and take it on the chine that they get -xx for the rental. IIf so the only way they can make money is by upselling upgrades, excessive fuel pre-payments and additional excess insurance. If so then by no-showing they have no opportunity to upsell you and may charge but it the T&C's don't allow it then they can't!

Just some thoughts.
Slightly OT for the thread but my own personal experience of Avis car hire with BA Holidays is that Avis behave as normal (ie very well) in terms of damage and return (unlike other companies), but are indeed quite pushy at the pickup stage on insurance and other add-ons. Recently was given a very hard sell on the toll pass system in Texas, with the implication being we would barely be able to get anywhere without it. Something felt fishy so declined. This was the correct decision as we drove hundreds and hundreds of miles without needing a toll road once. Returned the car without incident.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 7:51 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
The T&Cs mention a no show fee. But as others have previously said, it is rare for the fee to be actually collected.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by Soft Top

Just some thoughts.
I believe BA Holidays bookings sometimes open up cheaper fare classes not available at the time on BA flights only. That's where the lower overall price comes from.
scoonee and Non Compos Mentis like this.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 8:46 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum
I've done this several times on mid-week work trips to the US as the flight + car package avoids the Saturday night stopover limitation on the cheapest fares.
sokolov likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 7:49 pm
fomerly known as LandingGear (not Landing Gear)

What if OP calls to cancel upon arrival, instead of picking it up?
Old Jan 10, 2020, 8:17 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by VinnyTheKid
A question if I may? We want to book flights with a group of friends and only pay a deposit now because one of our friends has been having treatment for a serious illness. It seems we can do this by adding a car rental to the booking. It even makes the overall cost cheaper!!! We probably won't want the car and if we didn't pick it up I wondered there could be any consequences for not using it?

Thanks
I hope your friend is better soon.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 1:22 am

Is there away to exploit flight + car booking to avoid extreme one-way-fares?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.