Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

British Airways - Qantas Partnership from 2023

Old Jan 9, 20, 7:06 pm
Original Poster

Hi everyone, I was at a RAeS lecture and one of the slides showed that after the Emirates-Qantas partnership end, theyíll be doing one with British Airways (from 2023). I havenít seen it this anywhere tho, but is it in the works?
Old Jan 9, 20, 7:09 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Qantas Platinum One and LTG
What was the lecture? If you are able to divulge that of course....
Old Jan 10, 20, 1:56 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by GoldCanyon340 View Post
What was the lecture? If you are able to divulge that of course....
Please see here: Royal Aeronautical Society talks at Waterside

They are public events that you can sign up to attend. They have had some interesting talks in the past.
Old Jan 10, 20, 3:06 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
Three years is a long time in aviation. I would imagine any 'plans' at the moment are very high level and aspirational.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 10, 20, 5:12 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
A BA/QF JV for Europe - Oceania from 2023 would be interesting, especially if QF continue to push project sunrise.
Old Jan 10, 20, 5:28 am

Would that make QR happier?
Old Jan 10, 20, 9:09 am

But what does "partnership" mean exactly?
Aren't BA and QF partners already by virtue of Oneworld? Don't they already have code shares? What other kind of partnership is there, short of a merger?
QF/EK is different since EK is not in an alliance and it's a bilateral partnership.
Old Jan 10, 20, 9:57 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by nd100 View Post
But what does "partnership" mean exactly?
Aren't BA and QF partners already by virtue of Oneworld? Don't they already have code shares? What other kind of partnership is there, short of a merger?
QF/EK is different since EK is not in an alliance and it's a bilateral partnership.
A joint venture, like BA have with AA (& others) for transatlantic is the next level up from alliance partners. In these JVs, (unlike in an alliance) the airlines split revenue, so there is no competition between the airlines in the JV. Others will be able to explain better, but that's a very basic overview.
Old Jan 10, 20, 10:28 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Honors Diamond
Thanks to the OP for sharing this. Certainly very interesting. For those who havenít followed all the history of this, BA and Qantas previously had a Joint Services Agreement for around 15 years which ended in 2013. This was as a result of the signing of a Joint Venture between Emirates and Qantas.

No doubt any new agreement would be between the whole of IAG and Qantas.
Old Jan 10, 20, 11:08 am

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
Originally Posted by Mohamed Tunis View Post
Hi everyone, I was at a RAeS lecture and one of the slides showed that after the Emirates-Qantas partnership end, theyíll be doing one with British Airways (from 2023). I havenít seen it this anywhere tho, but is it in the works?
Three years is eternity for airlines.

As Qantas is close to Emirates whereas BA is closer to Qatar so with ME politics a deeper Qantas relationship looks very unlikely - and more so due to the animosity when the last one ended.

More likely when/if Qantas goes non-stop BA could drop the Singapore-Sydney leg and put its code on QR Doha-Sydney or Cathay for HKG-Sydney (like it already does for Auckland).That will free up the 777/300ERs Sydney uses up (4, or about. $1bn of fleet) which could speed the 744 retirement. Iíd think investors will really question so many assets being used on a flag planting likely low margin route if Qantas goes non stop and siphons off most of the real premium traffic.

Also, at some point Sydney fleet has to change. The 77W fleet all is set to go super high J with the CWS and that might be too premium heavy for Singapore-Sydney-Singapore. So the more interesting question is what replaces the 777-300ER on the route - if the route continues?
Old Jan 10, 20, 3:28 pm
ECR

Originally Posted by Mohamed Tunis View Post
Is there anything to suggest that Emirates and Qantas won't renew their deal again when the current deals comes close to an end as they did before.

I suppose though Qantas aren't just quite as close to Emirates as they were a few years now that they no longer fly to Dubai themselves.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jan 10, 20, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by DFB_london View Post

As Qantas is close to Emirates whereas BA is closer to Qatar so with ME politics a deeper Qantas relationship looks very unlikely - and more so due to the animosity when the last one ended.

More likely when/if Qantas goes non-stop BA could drop the Singapore-Sydney leg and put its code on QR Doha-Sydney or Cathay for HKG-Sydney (like it already does for Auckland).That will free up the 777/300ERs Sydney uses up (4, or about. $1bn of fleet) which could speed the 744 retirement. Iíd think investors will really question so many assets being used on a flag planting likely low margin route if Qantas goes non stop and siphons off most of the real premium traffic.

Also, at some point Sydney fleet has to change. The 77W fleet all is set to go super high J with the CWS and that might be too premium heavy for Singapore-Sydney-Singapore. So the more interesting question is what replaces the 777-300ER on the route - if the route continues?
The A350 is the ideal replacement for the B777-300 on LHR-SIN-SYD. I would expect BA to top up its order at some point, and add an F cabin as well.
Old Jan 11, 20, 12:04 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VX Gold
Originally Posted by lcylocal View Post
Thanks to the OP for sharing this. Certainly very interesting. For those who havenít followed all the history of this, BA and Qantas previously had a Joint Services Agreement for around 15 years which ended in 2013. This was as a result of the signing of a Joint Venture between Emirates and Qantas.

No doubt any new agreement would be between the whole of IAG and Qantas.
AA and Qantas just got approval for their trans-Pacific joint venture last summer. So itís not too much of a stretch to believe Qantas wants to deepen its OneWorld relationships.
Old Jan 11, 20, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by britsv View Post
AA and Qantas just got approval for their trans-Pacific joint venture last summer. So it’s not too much of a stretch to believe Qantas wants to deepen its OneWorld relationships.
The global alliance do not mean as much at they used to. Airlines are buying shares in each other.
QR own part of IAG (BA IB IE and others).
Delta & LATAM shareholding. LATAM leaving OW
QF recently entered into a codeshare agreement with Skyteam airline AF/KLM ---> https://www.qantasnewsroom.com.au/me...utch-airlines/
Old Jan 11, 20, 10:06 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by DFB_london View Post

I doubt the Emirati and Qatari relationship affects BA-QF much. There are far too much synergy between BA and QF than the two gulf players.

personally i really missed the time when BKK SIN and HKG are all midpoints.
JessicaTam likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: