Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

How easy is it to climb over the footrest in CW

Old Jan 9, 20, 1:36 pm
Original Poster

Firstly apologies if Iíve posted this in the wrong place, mods please move if I have!

Iím flying BA club world LHR-IAD in March and am wondering about the window seats where you would need to climb over the other persons footrest to get out, Iím flying solo. Previously Iíve had an aisle seat or Iíve had 63k on the upper deck 747 that you can squeeze out of.

I donít want to pay £80+ to reserve a seat so will have to take my chance at 7 days out when I can select for free.

Iím not holding out much hope that there might be a bulkhead window still free so if not I think Iíd still prefer window and have to step over than the aisle, Iím on an A380.

So Iím only 5ft 2 but fit and pretty flexible, will I be able to step over the footrest without making an idiot of myself and landing on the person who Iím climbing over? Anyone else any experience of this ( climbing over, not falling)

Thanks
Old Jan 9, 20, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by Bluesky30 View Post
Firstly apologies if I’ve posted this in the wrong place, mods please move if I have!

I’m flying BA club world LHR-IAD in March and am wondering about the window seats where you would need to climb over the other persons footrest to get out, I’m flying solo. Previously I’ve had an aisle seat or I’ve had 63k on the upper deck 747 that you can squeeze out of.

I don’t want to pay £80+ to reserve a seat so will have to take my chance at 7 days out when I can select for free.

I’m not holding out much hope that there might be a bulkhead window still free so if not I think I’d still prefer window and have to step over than the aisle, I’m on an A380.

So I’m only 5ft 2 but fit and pretty flexible, will I be able to step over the footrest without making an idiot of myself and landing on the person who I’m climbing over? Anyone else any experience of this ( climbing over, not falling)

Thanks

Hi,

As long as you are reasonably flexible it is not a great problem. I usually hold onto the top of the seat for added support sometimes as I get over the footrest. ( have never fallen onto the person but I think my feet may have occassionally brushed the duvet but was not a problem)

Regards

TBS
Old Jan 9, 20, 1:40 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
My mother is shorter than you, and she can do it fine. It's more crab than horse, from my rustic perspective. Being sober helps more than your inside leg measurement.
Old Jan 9, 20, 1:41 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
It depends, Dear, on how much Champagne you have been enjoying.
Old Jan 9, 20, 1:46 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
And I for one would never complain were a slightly champagne positive Pucci to fall on me.
Old Jan 9, 20, 1:47 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Carbon Conscious Travel

As you are flexible, you shouldnít have too much of a problem. I will add, the setup differs slightly on the A380 and not in a good way. The floor immediately in front of the footstool is slightly raised so there is a slight risk of losing your footing as you step out. Also, the main deck seats offer slightly more wiggle room compared to the seats upstairs. The upper deck walls taper inward quite noticeably which can cause heads to bump but at 5í-2Ē you should be okay.
Old Jan 9, 20, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Thanks all so much for replying so quickly, sounds like I should be ok then

slightly concerned that you all seem to know quite a lot about my pink champagne habit though!

I’m still thinking that a window seat with a possible champagne induced stumble is still better than the aisle seat
chrismk, alex67500 and ttama like this.
Old Jan 9, 20, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by bisonrav View Post
And I for one would never complain were a slightly champagne positive Pucci to fall on me.
Oh you would I guarantee, her hands would be everywhere.
Old Jan 9, 20, 2:17 pm

Programs: CK or bust
This assumes that Pucci would even be in the CW cabin and not confortably seated in the F cabin without a seat opponent.
Old Jan 9, 20, 3:19 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, WN, SPG Gold, Choice Platinum, HHonors Gold, IHG Spire, Club Carlson Gold
I've done CW a number of times. Climbing over the footrest is sort of similar to climbing over a baby/doggie gate. I have to think a bit about how high to lift my foot, but I've never had an issue with a stumble or similar problem that would affect my seat mate.
ttama likes this.
Old Jan 9, 20, 3:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Its fine... just practice your high jump if you want to have a bit of fun, or pretend you are playing leap frog
ttama likes this.
Old Jan 9, 20, 3:31 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Carbon Conscious Travel

Cannot resist... practice makes perfect

Jimmie76, HIDDY, wrp96 and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 9, 20, 3:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Prospero View Post
Cannot resist... practice makes perfect

https://youtu.be/F3UGk9QhoIw

yep I think that would work, Iíll crack on with the training first thing tomorrow
solwayspeedbird and ttama like this.
Old Jan 9, 20, 4:48 pm

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Personally I would recommend one of these, available from the Highlife Shop (allegedly)...

HIDDY, lhrsfo, alvinlwh and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 9, 20, 5:42 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Gold, Avis PC, Eurostar CB, the Amex plat stuff
Originally Posted by Bluesky30 View Post
slightly concerned that you all seem to know quite a lot about my pink champagne habit though!
You must be new here We have whole threads about champagne, pink and white
SKT-DK likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: