Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Will be check my bag from a BA itin to a connecting AY/JL itin?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2020, 6:22 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Many

I bought a 1-way BA CE flight LHR-BRU to connect to a roundtrip BRU-HEL-NRT, HND-HEL-BRU AY/JL J itin. I have enough time to collect and re-check in BRU, but obviously I would prefer not to. Will BA check my bag through to NRT if I show them the ticket # etc...for the AY/JL ticket? Thanks!
Old Jan 9, 2020, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Well they won't check your bag through BA-BA on separate tickets so it's unlikely !
Old Jan 9, 2020, 6:33 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
No chance. Thankfully bags at BRU come out fairly quickly and reliably.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
If it is "connecting", ie this was all booked as one single itinerary - then yes, no problem
If this was booked as two separate itineraries, then they are not connecting and BA will neither through check bags nor protect the flights on the second itinerary if there is an issue with the LHR-BRU one.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 7:15 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
As it appears that you are not connecting, you may want to consider what you mean by "enough time". You bear 100% of the risk of a delay and will wind up having to purchase new tickets to NRT (and back if the return is on the same ticket). Would generally advise you to schedule an overnight at BRU.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 7:22 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
As it appears that you are not connecting, you may want to consider what you mean by "enough time". You bear 100% of the risk of a delay and will wind up having to purchase new tickets to NRT (and back if the return is on the same ticket). Would generally advise you to schedule an overnight at BRU.
traveling tomorrow morning so I guess we'll just have to hope 3 hours is enough time to collect and recheck.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 7:59 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
More information and background in this thread:

BA no longer through checking baggage with separate tickets
golfmad likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
traveling tomorrow morning so I guess we'll just have to hope 3 hours is enough time to collect and recheck.
Odds are it'll go fine - but there's a huge risk in my eyes with checked luggage, only three hours in winter with ropey weather and separate tickets. I'd 100% go hand baggage only
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 8:06 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
I'd 100% go hand baggage only
So would I...tell that to my gf
Old Jan 9, 2020, 10:53 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Not sure whether AY considers BRI in the 45 minute or 1 hour bag drop deadline, but either way that 3 hours between tickets is roughly 2 hours. That is, of course, plenty of time unless there is bad weather, air traffic, or some other disruption. That is a lot closer than I would cut it.

Maybe the GF will be a better packer if facing the prospect of a trip to BRU rather than Japan.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
You don’t have 3 hours. You have closer to 2 because of the bag drop deadline on your BRU-HEL flight which will be something like 45 - 60 mins before departure.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 2:43 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Can confirm again BA would not even consider checking through. However our incredibly empty flight got in a few minutes early and our bag was the second out. We were at the AY check-in desk by 915am for the 1140 departure and have been chilling in SNs surprisingly great lounge since then. We rolled the dice and got lucky I suppose.
vulle and mikeyfly like this.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 4:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Great news - glad it worked out hassle free

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.