Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

French ATC disruption - 9 January 2020 - delays and cancellations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2020, 1:51 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer

BA are cancelling a number of services today due to ATC strikes in France on Thursday 9 January 2020:
The following flights for 09JAN will now be cancelled:
BA366/367 MRS
BA726/727 GVA
BA358/359 LYS
BA316/323 CDG
BA470/471 BCN
BA348/349 NCE

BA378/379 TLS
BA376 TLS
Plus the BA377/10JAN TLS-LHR

Following Toulouse services have had an aircraft upgrade
BA372/BA373 on 09/10JAN from A320/319 to A321
BA378/BA379 10JAN from A319 to A321
BA376/10JAN and BA377/11JAN from A319 to A321
My experience is that this tends to have an impact on all sorts of other services, directly and indirectly, particularly to France and Spain but also Switzerland and Italy.

I would imagine BA at LHR will be receptive to people switching services today on shorthaul even if their ticket does not have Free Change on Day.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 1:55 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Again
Old Jan 9, 2020, 2:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by florens
Again
Well, that's not really for this thread but yes, it's all part of the very same continuing strike movement which has now been ongoing for a while (national pension system reform particularly affecting the very categories which typically find it comparatively easiest to get organised and go on strike.) and may continue longer despite a theoretical deadline in about 10 days to finalise legislation, so there may well be a few more of those to occur in forthcoming weeks.

The major strike dates are usually announced about 2-3 weeks ahead of time by the major unions (for instance, today's date was announced on 19 December) so if you keep an eye on the relevant news it is normally possible to organise in advance. Not "fair" or ideal of course, but still better than finding out one's flight is cancelled once you reach the airport.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 2:07 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Sixt Platinum, HHons Diamond
Originally Posted by orbitmic
Well, that's not really for this thread but yes, it's all part of the very same continuing strike movement which has now been ongoing for a while (national pension system reform particularly affecting the very categories which typically find it comparatively easiest to get organised and go on strike.) and may continue longer despite a theoretical deadline in about 10 days to finalise legislation, so there may well be a few more of those to occur in forthcoming weeks.

The major strike dates are usually announced about 2-3 weeks ahead of time by the major unions (for instance, today's date was announced on 19 December) so if you keep an eye on the relevant news it is normally possible to organise in advance. Not "fair" or ideal of course, but still better than finding out one's flight is cancelled once you reach the airport.
Does that mean similar action 1 week today is now unlikely, or is that assumption foolish?
Old Jan 9, 2020, 4:04 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Currently the notice runs until the end of Jan, but unions are in discussions to issue a new common notice valid until end of June. The idea is that train and tube drivers will alternate a few days on / few days off to make sure they still get paid some money, and there will be a wider "interprofessional"(*) demonstration every Thursday.

(*) their word, not mine.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 4:11 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci des Transports de Navette
Is there any chance that this could spill over to tomorrow?
Old Jan 9, 2020, 4:20 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
From the previous weeks since early December, it's only on one day a week when they have the big demos. Unless planes end up out of position, tomorrow should be fine. But I think BA preemptively cancelling flights is a way to avoid that.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 4:23 am

Thanks, was getting nervous about a flight from Gatwick tomorrow morning.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 4:49 am

Programs: BAEC blue dust

The major strike dates are usually announced about 2-3 weeks ahead of time by the major unions (for instance, today's date was announced on 19 December) so if you keep an eye on the relevant news it is normally possible to organise in advance.
Easy option: https://www.cestlagreve.fr/
They also have an app for Android and I'd assume for Apple too.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 4:53 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
I would be surprised if this lasts beyond today since quite a lot of strikers are giving in and going back to work because they simply cannot afford to stay out any longer. This is not going to end any time soon, unless the Government backs down . France is absolutely in uproar over the pension reforms. French ATC is unhappy for this and for other reasons.

This looks to me like contingency planning as the airports and ATC seems to working This being the quietest season probably helps.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 4:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by OddJobMan
Is there any chance that this could spill over to tomorrow?
There are demonstrations planned on Saturday but not strikes. It might be wise to plan going to the airport a bit ahead of time on that day, especially if going from or through a major city centre in case there are corresponding traffic restrictions, but I would not expect further strikes then nor spillover effects.except specifically if you are on an overnighter tomorrow morning which was cancelled outbound.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 5:03 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Sixt Platinum, HHons Diamond
Originally Posted by Irreverent Medusa
Easy option: https://www.cestlagreve.fr/
They also have an app for Android and I'd assume for Apple too.
Very useful link - thanks for sharing.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 5:03 am

There are demonstrations planned on Saturday but not strikes. It might be wise to plan going to the airport a bit ahead of time on that day, especially if going from or through a major city centre in case there are corresponding traffic restrictions, but I would not expect further strikes then nor spillover effects.except specifically if you are on an overnighter tomorrow morning which was cancelled outbound.
No worries orbitmic, It's actually a day trip to Malaga so should be fine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.