Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Full Autoland - No light coming from electronic device

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2020, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC 35K

Hi all,

Had a first today with an unexpected twist I wanted to ask the the community here about.

Landing into Linate this evening we were on a full autoland due to low-level fog and as SOP were asked to switch all electronic devices fully off (not flight-safe mode). As the cabin was prepared for landing I got up to turn off my iPad which was in the overhead however a member of the cabin crew said that it wasn’t necessary as long as the device “didn’t emit any light” (which it wouldn’t stored in my bag). I always thought that the reason devices needed to be off was to ensure no radio waves were emitted causing interference with the CAT III ILS signal - is this not the real reason? Surely my iPad in “standby” in the overhead would emit radio waves even with the screen off (for example Bluetooth can remain on even while in Airplane Mode). Was the cabin crew wrong and should I have turned off the iPad fully?

Looking forward to hearing from the experts in the community here.

Thanks,
TUF
Old Jan 8, 2020, 12:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The crew member was wrong and likely misunderstood the training.

Off does mean off in your situation and your instincts were correct. It is likely that the crew member had been trained to insure that all the lights on a device were off as a means of assuring that the device itself is off. That, of course, is outmoded technology and, in any event, not the reason for the restriction.
trooper likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 1:03 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
What is interesting is even when a phone is switched off, it isn’t actually completely off and can with the right technology be turned on remotely... balance of risk though and no doubt they will be some who disobey crew instructions.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 2:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It will only take one fool is too important and knows better.
Gastrocnemius likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 2:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC 35K
Originally Posted by Often1
The crew member was wrong and likely misunderstood the training.

Off does mean off in your situation and your instincts were correct. It is likely that the crew member had been trained to insure that all the lights on a device were off as a means of assuring that the device itself is off. That, of course, is outmoded technology and, in any event, not the reason for the restriction.
interesting, thanks for clarifying.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.