Long haul in-flight catering | First

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 28, 22, 2:45 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Genius1
Wiki Link
Please do not quote photos in this thread.

Print Wikipost

Old Jun 24, 22, 5:00 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by OneWorldSapphire View Post
I have contacted YouFirst multiple times for the menu for my early-July DFW-LHR flight. I've been given various responses, some of which are plain wrong: a) we never have those here so check BA.com for them (obviously false); b) your flight has no menu (obviously false); c) menus only come out at the start of the month in which the flight takes place so try again July 1; d) we have no idea what you are asking for (unhelpful). The only response that seemed sensible was option (c). I explained to the agent who gave this reply that it seemed as if people here are getting them 30-days out and the reply was rather cheeky: 'it may work out for someone who calls June 1 for a flight June 30 that it would be 30 days'. Is there a change from July, am I getting horribly misinformed agents, or is it true that menus only appear for YouFirst at the start of the month for flights that same month (meaning someone who flies on the first day of the month would never be able to see their menu ahead of time)? I tried emailing them, hoping to get a more informed agent, but it was radio silence.
That sounds like a long running policy. 3 years ago I was flying out in June and back in July.
They could give me the June menu, but not the July one until the 1st of July (I didn't bother asking as I was enjoying my holiday so much).
Old Jun 24, 22, 5:08 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Alitalia Freccia Alata
Originally Posted by S_W_S View Post
That sounds like a long running policy. 3 years ago I was flying out in June and back in July.
They could give me the June menu, but not the July one until the 1st of July (I didn't bother asking as I was enjoying my holiday so much).
interesting. Maybe July 1 is the restart of a catering contract or a financial year, or something like that… fingers crossed for a new and more exciting menu when it comes, and for more LPGS being stocked on the galleys.
Old Jun 24, 22, 6:43 pm

Programs: BAEC
I have contacted YouFirst multiple times for the menu for my early-July DFW-LHR flight. I've been given various responses, some of which are plain wrong: a) we never have those here so check BA.com for them (obviously false); b) your flight has no menu (obviously false); c) menus only come out at the start of the month in which the flight takes place so try again July 1; d) we have no idea what you are asking for (unhelpful). The only response that seemed sensible was option (c). I explained to the agent who gave this reply that it seemed as if people here are getting them 30-days out and the reply was rather cheeky: 'it may work out for someone who calls June 1 for a flight June 30 that it would be 30 days'. Is there a change from July, am I getting horribly misinformed agents, or is it true that menus only appear for YouFirst at the start of the month for flights that same month (meaning someone who flies on the first day of the month would never be able to see their menu ahead of time)? I tried emailing them, hoping to get a more informed agent, but it was radio silence.
Does it really matter, tho ? As there’s no pre-order at the moment, what would you do if you got the information ?
Old Jun 24, 22, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by bafan View Post
Does it really matter, tho ? As there’s no pre-order at the moment, what would you do if you got the information ?
I'm desperate for something to look forward to as I get through piles of work, so, yes, it matters to me. This is our first international trip since 2018 and it's a weird feeling, so it would help set the mood of excitement. Also, if the menu is awful (I'm deeply unenthusiastic about some of the menus that have been posted), it helps to know to eat dinner in the AA FFD at DFW.
Old Jun 24, 22, 6:56 pm

Programs: BAEC
I'm desperate for something to look forward to, so, yes, it matters to me. This is our first international trip since 2018 and it's a weird feeling, so it would help set the mood of excitement. Also, if the menu is awful (I'm deeply unenthusiastic about some of the menus that have been posted), it helps to know to eat dinner in the AA FFD at DFW.
Fair enough. I always prefer the surprise on board, so I’d rather never know in advance (unless the menu’s going to be truly terrible…).

Hope you enjoy your flight.
OneWorldSapphire likes this.
Old Jun 24, 22, 7:05 pm

Fair enough. I always prefer the surprise on board, so I’d rather never know in advance (unless the menu’s going to be truly terrible…).

Hope you enjoy your flight.
A truly terrible menu is not unheard of. If I had to design my worst nightmare BA menu it would be any attempt at filet steak by BA, this weird cod dish they once served me to DXB (imagine cod jerky, if that were a thing, sat in a pool of melted butter), and sweetcorn ravioli covered in more sweetcorn. If them are the options, I'll eat beforehand and shift my excitement to the FFD menu followed by LPGS onboard. For entertainment purposes, I actually wouldn't mind seeing a thread discussing the worst of the worst BA foods with photos.
Old Jun 25, 22, 1:31 am

I always request the menu from YouFirst, so I know what to expect. If nothing takes my fancy, I'll eat beforehand.
OneWorldSapphire likes this.
Old Jun 25, 22, 5:08 am

Programs: Avios
I have to say my favourite thing I've ever had in F is the aubergine light meal. I don't know what they do to them, because normally I can take or leave aubergine, but it's absolutely delicious. The skins aren't chewy, they're nice and crisp and the inside isn't slimy either. Last time I flew my attendant said it was her favourite too. A lot of people tend not to have the second meal but I'm always glad to see this one.
JTXC likes this.
Old Jun 25, 22, 6:23 am

Is there a change from July, am I getting horribly misinformed agents, or is it true that menus only appear for YouFirst at the start of the month for flights that same month (meaning someone who flies on the first day of the month would never be able to see their menu ahead of time)? I tried emailing them, hoping to get a more informed agent, but it was radio silence.
No change, it’s the same as always. YF can only access menus once they’ve been published, which typically happens during the last week of a month for the following month. It’s been that way for a long time, I do think ‘30 days’ should probably have an ‘up to’ added.
Old Jun 25, 22, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by S_W_S View Post

everyone to their own I guess - I used to really like the tasting menus (which indeed disappeared from the 388 years ago when the bistro options were also removed and replaced “normal” choices instead) ans would order it every time I was on the 388 in f. I also liked the surprise element it entailed.
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old Jun 25, 22, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Silver)
If you want to know if you can eat the vegetarian option then it can save you ordering a VLML and vice versa. So for example if there was a curry on the F menu as the vegetarian option then I couldn’t eat it and would order the VLML
Oaxaca likes this.
Old Jun 25, 22, 9:06 am

I actually wouldn't mind seeing a thread discussing the worst of the worst BA foods with photos.
scroll back a few pages…
Old Jul 1, 22, 8:21 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
I contacted you first today (1 min 30 waiting) and apparently the July menus have been released. As soon as I get it I will post the one for our upcoming flight to DXB.
And here it is: not very inspiring to be honest, glad I used a GUF2 to upgrade from CW although the menu looks pretty close to CW anyway. Beef cheeks in first ? Looking at the date code on the document the menu document was generated in mid May.

Jimmie76 likes this.

Last edited by firstlight; Jul 1, 22 at 8:44 am
Old Jul 1, 22, 9:31 am

Programs: MUCCI
Originally Posted by firstlight View Post
I contacted you first today (1 min 30 waiting) and apparently the July menus have been released. As soon as I get it I will post the one for our upcoming flight to DXB.
And here it is: not very inspiring to be honest, glad I used a GUF2 to upgrade from CW although the menu looks pretty close to CW anyway. Beef cheeks in first ? Looking at the date code on the document the menu document was generated in mid May.

Looks remarkably similar to LHR-SCL the other week.......
Old Jul 1, 22, 10:10 am

Programs: BA Executive Club (GGL)
The pasta main seems very similar if not identical to a CE dish?

Search this Thread