Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 28, 2022, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Please do not quote photos in this thread.
Print Wikipost

Long haul in-flight catering | First

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2022, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by MaxFlyer
The FIRST version of the CE/CW dessert. Tastes basically the same but the white mouse inside the chocolate improves the texture and overall taste experience.
If a mouse improves the taste, I’ll skip it.
bafan and Tobias-UK like this.
Old Mar 5, 2022, 4:15 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, HH Diamond, Hertz PC,
Originally Posted by SFO777
The starter and main options actually sound pretty good.
the lamb was very tasty
Old Mar 10, 2022, 6:05 am

LHR-SFO (BA285), 9 March '22:

For the record, I had filled up on breakfast in the CCR before departure given the recent reviews of the onboard offerings, so I only managed my way through the starters and main course.

I really enjoyed the canapés; the Jamon was particularly good and flavourful and the baba ghanoush was very tasty. The salmon starter was also very tasty, a little too much of the mustard dressing for my liking, but better to have slightly too much than too little. I had the roasted fillet of beef for my main (adopting the strategy that this might mean my wife, who wanted the chicken, may get her choice when they got to her). Whilst I agree with the many comments above that it was cooked beyond my usual liking (rare), it was still tender and very tasty. The Yorkshire was surprisingly crispy and the vegetables (both plated and on the side) were perfectly cooked and seasoned. The gravy was very tasty. I was offered both cheese and desert, but declined and was offered some chocolates and brought 4 Lindt truffles instead.

I had a couple of very generous glasses of the Pouilly-Fume to accompany the salmon, as the Dagueneau name is well know and respected. I then switched to Chateau Batailley to go with the beef. Both wines were very, very good except that the red needed warming considerably in my hands for 10 minutes to get it to temperature.

I had set my expectations quite low because of the comments here, but was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the food onboard. Also, I didn't hear a single case of "unfortunately that isn't available". This was coupled with an excellent First crew who mixed and matched their isles so that there was never a gap in service or an empty glass (and this was on a full, 14 seat service). For me, the First catering isn't quite as broken as I was lead to believe, although there will always be room for improvement at any level.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 6:11 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by MaxFlyer
The FIRST version of the CE/CW dessert. Tastes basically the same but the white mouse inside the chocolate improves the texture and overall taste experience.
is this the new rodent special dessert…?
Gastrocnemius likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2022, 3:46 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
My First dining on the BA173 to JFK yesterday. I only asked for a couple of the sandwiches, the full afternoon tea was more substantial than my picture shows! It was all delicious, crew were fabulous, all in all a great experience all round. Also - sorry about the naked Danial Craig in the background…….

Old Mar 20, 2022, 3:54 am

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
Great to see things gradually getting back to normal.

Had the soup made any appearance yet?

Edit. Just read them menu, disregard soup question 😊
Old Mar 20, 2022, 4:24 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, BA Amex PP
Originally Posted by woodey
The daytime flight from JFK to LHR, BA178 makes a reappearance this month. This flight leaves JFK around 8am and gets into LHR around 8pm, looks like breakfast is still the main meal followed by a light snack. Personally I'd prefer to have breakfast in the CCR and a more substantial lunch / dinner a couple of hours before landing. This is the menu:
I flew BA178 last week (Tues 8/3) and it was more of a lunch + light meal set up with the same menu per ORD-LHR posted above. Thankfully I had had just a light egg muffin thing in the CCR before hand as the lamb was pretty substantial:

Smoked salmon carpaccio (main meal)

Braised lamb shank (main meal)

Coronation chicken salad (light meal)

Spinach and mushroom rotolo (light meal)

Caramel chocolate pie (light meal)
Old Mar 20, 2022, 5:10 am

Hi. How often and when in any given month do the First menus change, or does it not work like that? Thanks.
Old Mar 20, 2022, 5:38 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by northeastflyer
Hi. How often and when in any given month do the First menus change, or does it not work like that? Thanks.
They appear to change monthly, more or less, and normally in the first part of the month.

I'm surprised First catering hasn't yet reverted to the pre-covid proposition. We were told the reason for the delay in returning the premium cabin service to normal is because of crew shortage, my experience in First has been that a full compliment of crew have been present so there appears little excuse for not returning First to the pre-covid service.
Old Mar 20, 2022, 6:03 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
They appear to change monthly, more or less, and normally in the first part of the month.

I'm surprised First catering hasn't yet reverted to the pre-covid proposition. We were told the reason for the delay in returning the premium cabin service to normal is because of crew shortage, my experience in First has been that a full compliment of crew have been present so there appears little excuse for not returning First to the pre-covid service.
Thanks.
Old Mar 20, 2022, 6:08 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Stena Gold
Has anyone tried the asian vegetarian meal in First recently?

I am tempted because there is little choice for (pescatarian) me on my next flight
Old Mar 20, 2022, 6:13 am

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
If it's anything like the CW one, avoid.

Maybe it will be the CW one as things not back to normal yet. Didn't realise the crew levels back to precovid, so no excuse for a CW asian veg, if that's what they provide.
Old Mar 20, 2022, 6:23 am

Originally Posted by garethmorgan
If a mouse improves the taste, I’ll skip it.
and if I can throw another moose into the equation (along similar lines) just for a laugh ;-P
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p099f23x
Old Mar 20, 2022, 10:19 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by nh1980
I flew BA178 last week (Tues 8/3) and it was more of a lunch + light meal set up with the same menu per ORD-LHR posted above. Thankfully I had had just a light egg muffin thing in the CCR before hand as the lamb was pretty substantial:

Smoked salmon carpaccio (main meal)

Braised lamb shank (main meal)

Coronation chicken salad (light meal)

Spinach and mushroom rotolo (light meal)

Caramel chocolate pie (light meal)
Yep, I was on the BA178 this week and the menu You First sent me was completely wrong it wasn't breakfast, it was a full lunch then light meal. I think this works a lot better for this flight but since I'd already had breakfast in the CCR I delayed lunch for a few hours which the crew were happy to accommodate. The lamb was pretty good.
Tobias-UK and breadman2 like this.

Last edited by woodey; Mar 20, 2022 at 10:21 am Reason: typo
Old Mar 20, 2022, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
So many service failures the way that meal was delivered and whoever let that lamb go into the cabin should be sent back to training.
bafan, lloydah, SxMan and 1 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.