Old Jul 28, 2022, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
Please do not quote photos in this thread.
Print Wikipost

Long haul in-flight catering | First

Old Jan 9, 2020, 11:59 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DFB_london
And for that you can email youfirst who can provide you accurate information and the current menu for that specific flight on that route. That will I suspect be far more helpful that guessing from what happens on other routes.
Treat this thread as another string to our collective bow. Plus, we quite enjoy sharing our photos on this site
Weez, Quark999, PETER01 and 5 others like this.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
And for that you can email youfirst who can provide you accurate information and the current menu for that specific flight on that route. That will I suspect be far more helpful that guessing from what happens on other routes.
Ah, so I can. Only took me about 10 minutes to find where that lurks within ba.com.

Well, that’s me put firmly in my place as a Leisure Only OAP Gold.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 12:10 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
So more a, ‘I’ve flown F so look at me me me me me me’....thread ....again.
The professionals at GGL can supply more route-accurate relevant menus quicker when needed for anyone really looking for info.
It’s probably very unlikely I’ll fly in F this year, but nonetheless in the past I’ve welcomed a simpler description and recommendation of what the often flowery language in the supplied menus means. Pictures are certainly a bonus, so I absolutely see the benefit of this thread for those who are very occasional travellers in the cabin.

I’m surprised, this having been pointed out already, that it needs to be reinforced and amplified, but so be it.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 12:14 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Marriott LTP
I'm flying F for the first time this coming April, BOS-LHR. There's an email address you can use to ask BA such questions? Can you provide the address?
It's a morning flight so I'm not expecting much but it would be nice to know.
Thanks
Old Jan 9, 2020, 12:18 pm

Programs: BA Blue, Marriott Plat Life, UA Silver (thx Marriott), IHG Gold, Accor Plat, Hilton Diamond
Some pictures from September on the way to YVR

Pan fried scallops, shellfish bisque, grilled fennel
They were excellent

Pan fried Atlantic halibut, buttered spinach and lemon beurre blanc
Also very good Cooked pretty much right which isn't easy on a plane.

T
Prospero and Tobias-UK like this.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 12:32 pm

Programs: BA Silver (temp demotion), *A Silver, HH Gold, IHG Diamond
I will add another 'thanks' for the thread opinion; as a very irregular F flyer, this type of commentary plus photos add a lot to decision making; pre-purchase and pre-flight.
The former is great to be able to make an informed 'value' decision (it is "worth" Ł250-500-1000) and the latter because menu language is not always plain English.
Quark999, T8191, Tobias-UK and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by BMWMOT
I'm flying F for the first time this coming April, BOS-LHR. There's an email address you can use to ask BA such questions? Can you provide the address?
Thanks
ba.com/discover/travel classes/first ... and then right at the bottom of that page “Speak to You First”. Webform and phone numbers.
Obvious for the regular professional GGL/CCR pax, of course.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 12:40 pm

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
I doubt the mods thought they'd be so busy on this thread when it was created...

Originally Posted by allturnleft
One thing I was surprised about on my recent F flight back from LAX was that the pre take off drink appears to be anything you want . The guy in front ordered a special whisky. Has thos always been the case. I normally just ask for champagne
It is pretty unusual IME, to be offered any alcohol beyond fizz on the ground. In fact ex-US, the LPGS is often locked away until airborne, and something more, er, affordable, is served on the ground.

Originally Posted by BMWMOT
Thanks
The contact details for You First are on the below page, hope the link works. Email is initially via a web form.

https://www.britishairways.com/trave...d=youfirstform
T8191 likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 2:34 pm

Programs: BA
Hi, long time lurker here. I’m flying F LHR - DEN in April and I wonder if anyone can advise on what a First Vegan meal would be like. My experience on CE last year wasn’t great as a vegan option hadn’t been loaded. (On the positive the Avios compensation points helped towards this reward flight)
Old Jan 9, 2020, 2:39 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Qantas Platinum One and LTG
A general note about F catering is I've enjoyed the introduction (reintroduction?) of the canapes with the post take off drink and shunting the warmed, and dare I say delicious, nuts to be served with the fizzy libation on boarding. A lovely way to start a meal.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 3:08 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by redflyer24
More interested why in shanghai they are importing north atlantic cod
A surprisingly high proportion of the catch from North Atlantic fisheries is frozen and sent to China to be gutted, before being sent back. It is cheaper... So in Shanghai they can get fish from much of the world and actually reduce the overall carbon footprint in doing so, by removing the return journey.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 12:11 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
So more a, ‘I’ve flown F so look at me me me me me me’....thread ....again.
The professionals at GGL can supply more route-accurate relevant menus quicker when needed for anyone really looking for info.
I quite like looking at photos actually, even though I know I can easily get the menu from YouFirst or GGL team, or even easily see the actual food myself.

I'm personally too lazy to post photos (that is, if I take them at all) but I'm far more interested in seeing photos of food other people took than the menus.
RoyalSwazi, T8191, KARFA and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 3:43 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
I welcome the thread and photos. Often menu items can be disappointing, or surprisingly better, than what you imagined whilst reading the menu.

And who knows, we might even get to the bottom of what mousseline actually is
Sealink and RoyalSwazi like this.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 1:59 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / M-Life Gold / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by sam78
Hi, long time lurker here. I’m flying F LHR - DEN in April and I wonder if anyone can advise on what a First Vegan meal would be like. My experience on CE last year wasn’t great as a vegan option hadn’t been loaded. (On the positive the Avios compensation points helped towards this reward flight)
I know this might not be an accurate comparison, however, I'm coeliac and have ordered the gluten free meal in First before and been very disappointed - basically what you'd get served in CW but on First crockery / style. Maybe it's changed, but I've not ordered a GFML since and instead I pick something I can eat on board by consulting with the crew and their Chefs Chat. TBH don't know whether that would be easier or more difficult being vegan!

One thing you could do is email YouFirst 30 days out and ask them to provide you with the full menu for your flights, see whether you'd be able to eat anything, and all else fails then order the special meal.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by Lucanesque
I know this might not be an accurate comparison, however, I'm coeliac and have ordered the gluten free meal in First before and been very disappointed - basically what you'd get served in CW but on First crockery / style. Maybe it's changed, but I've not ordered a GFML since and instead I pick something I can eat on board by consulting with the crew and their Chefs Chat. TBH don't know whether that would be easier or more difficult being vegan!

One thing you could do is email YouFirst 30 days out and ask them to provide you with the full menu for your flights, see whether you'd be able to eat anything, and all else fails then order the special meal.
Have you ever had any luck in asking the crew to remove the gluten items from a dish, Lucanesque ? My other half is coeliac and I'd rather not order the special meal if possible, but looking at the menu, it states all of the meals contain gluten in one form or another.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.