Long haul in-flight catering | First

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 28, 22, 2:45 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Genius1
Wiki Link
Please do not quote photos in this thread.

Print Wikipost

Old Jan 31, 22, 5:57 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by BA_Pax View Post
Feedback on F catering to JFK on Thursday’s 173. Usual 2 choices of pork or chicken tikka. Apparently the pork was the majority choice - and ‘sold out’ with only 8 seats (full) in F - would it cost so much extra to load 8 pork AND 8 chicken? Classic example of penny pinching -v- quality of offering to so called prem pax. The cost in lost goodwill of an F pax not getting their first choice must exceed the saving of an extra 8 dishes surely? Plus I dare say crew wouldn’t let surplus go wasted - another group where improved goodwill might help!

Anyway the chicken tikka was pretty good and served in a timely and professional way. Desert was whatever I wanted - no stated limits of cheese OR desert. Indeed the fantastic crew member seemed to create her own version of my request for ice cream, When it arrived it was adorned with both melted Lindt truffle and some fresh berries (presumably intended for the side of the lemon tart not selected). Fair play to them.

I felt the new First Suite was a big improvement in space and privacy, and I’m a big 6’ft 5” inch bloke.

Now to see if the weather will mess up Mondays return although I got out of NY early Friday to Florida which is disappointingly cold.
Having been on the 173 today, further feedback. 7 of us in F. The pork again 'sold out', but they sourced one from Club (which just goes to show it's the same food in J and F). The chap next to me (who had the pork sourced from J), also missed out on his preferred starter. The Chicken Tikka was pretty good, once the skin came off (I appreciate it' left on to keep the meat moist. Also had both cheese and the lemon tart (they thought theyd run out, but hadn't). Crew were a mix of good service and bad. with the afternoon tea, one served the scone on a plate, and another used the basket.

Worst thing was the clenliness of the aircraft though. Opened the door on the suite to put my coat away, and there was a used sock left there, and a set of headphones!!! Then we found a slipper wrapper behind the footrest.
Carfield and becks1 like this.
Old Feb 1, 22, 12:57 am

Programs: BA Silver, *A Silver, VS Silver, ITA Volare Premium, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier
Originally Posted by SpurMan View Post
…The pork again 'sold out', but they sourced one from Club (which just goes to show it's the same food in J and F). The chap next to me (who had the pork sourced from J)…
I hope they explained that, although they looked and sounded identical, the F class pork was sourced from rare breed Mangalitzas with crimped hair whilst the J class was lowly Porcus Vulgaris.
Old Feb 1, 22, 3:53 am

Programs: BA Blue, Qatar Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by endoman View Post
I'm on the same flight in 2 days, cabin showing as 8/8 occupied. Better prepare myself for CTM I guess. Will make sure I breakfast well in CCR. Pretty poor selection, and 2 only have 2 pork loaded seems rather odd. Mrs endo has a VGML selected so will be ok.
See this is what confuses me... whilst the food has a trend of going downhill, are we seeing F cabins with a trend of being fuller? So clearly BA are doing 'something' right...
Old Feb 1, 22, 3:57 am

Originally Posted by Ryanfozzie View Post
See this is what confuses me... whilst the food has a trend of going downhill, are we seeing F cabins with a trend of being fuller? So clearly BA are doing 'something' right...
loads != yield != profitability

Also it doesn’t imply satisfaction. It’s far easier and cheaper to retain a customer than it is to win them back after you’ve lost them to a competitor.

‘Penny wise, pound foolish’ springs to mind.
choosethedrew, mrow and Ryanfozzie like this.

Last edited by exeu2017; Feb 1, 22 at 4:14 am
Old Feb 1, 22, 3:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by Ryanfozzie View Post

hi

Of course previously the 8f might well have been 14 f prior to refits of the 777 and elimination of the 747s so with a smaller cabin it is more likely to be full
although agree that people are still paying for ba f

Regards

Tbs
Ryanfozzie likes this.
Old Feb 1, 22, 6:46 am

This is my first time in First but I am having the best time;
The canapés; (jamón and manchego, baba ganoush on labneh with cherry tomato and basil, and marinated olives with rosemary. All excellent, not quite Iberico ham but certainly good enough. The baba ganoush stood with labneh stood up to multiple visits to Istbanbul.
I went for the beef carpaccio with truffle crème fraîche and asparagus for the starter; the best dish I’ve had on a plane by a country mile. The beef was tender, flavourful and presented well.
The 21 day aged roasted fillet of beef was a little disappointing; over cooked at best but the sides were of good quality.
I asked for a wine tasting with 3 glasses of reds and whites. The crew left the bottles at my table whilst I compared. I’m not used to this sort of thing but I was deeply impressed with the service received.
I have taken names down for the crew so I can leave them a good review.

Despite popular opinion on this forum, First is not always a shambles and can be worth the cash.
Old Feb 1, 22, 7:31 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by subsonic001 View Post
The canapés; (jamón and manchego, baba ganoush on labneh with cherry tomato and basil, and marinated olives with rosemary. All excellent, not quite Iberico ham but certainly good enough. The baba ganoush stood with labneh stood up to multiple visits to Istbanbul.
I went for the beef carpaccio with truffle crème fraîche and asparagus for the starter; the best dish I’ve had on a plane by a country mile. The beef was tender, flavourful and presented well.
The 21 day aged roasted fillet of beef was a little disappointing; over cooked at best but the sides were of good quality.
I asked for a wine tasting with 3 glasses of reds and whites. The crew left the bottles at my table whilst I compared. I’m not used to this sort of thing but I was deeply impressed with the service received.
I have taken names down for the crew so I can leave them a good review.

Despite popular opinion on this forum, First is not always a shambles and can be worth the cash.
I agree with you on this, it’s a very pleasant dish indeed. I’ve had it a few times and never hesitate to order it when it appears.
Old Feb 1, 22, 8:31 am

Programs: A3*G,BA Gold
Originally Posted by subsonic001 View Post
...Despite popular opinion on this forum, First is not always a shambles and can be worth the cash.
Nice review and i am glad you liked it. Out of curiousity have you ever tried any other First products such as Lufthansa/Air France/Swiss?

Also i am not sure if the popular opinion on this forum is a negative one.
Old Feb 1, 22, 5:17 pm

Programs: AA MM, AA EXP; OW Emerald, EK silver
Originally Posted by BA_Pax View Post
Feedback on F catering to JFK on Thursday’s 173. Usual 2 choices of pork or chicken tikka. Apparently the pork was the majority choice - and ‘sold out’ with only 8 seats (full) in F - would it cost so much extra to load 8 pork AND 8 chicken? Classic example of penny pinching -v- quality of offering to so called prem pax. The cost in lost goodwill of an F pax not getting their first choice must exceed the saving of an extra 8 dishes surely? Plus I dare say crew wouldn’t let surplus go wasted - another group where improved goodwill might help!.
Why can't BA go back to making advance meal selection an option in F - this would easily avoid this problem. Hopping the pond for a quick trip in a couple of days - trip split between AA and BA, both in F. Have already got my meal selection for my AA flight with four mains to chose from, yet nothing from BA until contacting YouFirst for the menu with no way of selecting my choice ahead of time.
Surely advance choice would avoid loading less requested meals, create goodwill and save cost. Or does a common sense approach no longer prevail.
Old Feb 2, 22, 3:37 am

How far in advance can you request the menu for your flight from YouFirst?
Old Feb 2, 22, 3:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by shonerm View Post

hi

I think it is 30 days.

Regards
tbs
Old Feb 2, 22, 3:54 am

Originally Posted by shonerm View Post
I'll save you the trouble.

1. Pork
2. Chicken Tikka
3. Cauliflower

Old Feb 2, 22, 5:22 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Stena Gold
Originally Posted by zen100 View Post
I'll save you the trouble.

1. Pork
2. Chicken Tikka
3. Cauliflower

Is it 3 or 4 months now without a change?

It is almost like they hedged cauliflower as if it was fuel...
Old Feb 2, 22, 5:39 am

Programs: BAEC GGL (Gallium Guest List), QRPC Molybdenum, Skywards Zirconium
Originally Posted by Gastrocnemius View Post
Is it 3 or 4 months now without a change?

It is almost like they hedged cauliflower as if it was fuel...
There was a period where the pork became a not very good rack of lamb for a while, but pretty much.
Old Feb 2, 22, 6:53 am

Programs: BA Gold
Currently on ba 193 to dfw. Main course choice is fillet of beef
chicken in rosemary jus
honey glazed onion squash.

crew superbly attentive so far in a full F cabin. Asked what time I would like to eat etc.
crazyarmadillo and becks1 like this.

Search this Thread