Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 12, 2022, 4:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Please do not quote photos in this thread.

Sister thread:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/2085652-long-haul-catering-changes-announcement-12-july.html
Print Wikipost

Long haul in-flight catering | Club World

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2020, 7:17 am

Programs: Executive Club
Originally Posted by TTmex
I feel differently about this one. I'm not sure why it's the opposite of what it should be? It's not offered as part of the CW menu and if another cabin has it, why should CW have it and them not? I fly mainly CW now, but if flying WT or WTP, not sure why getting an ice cream should be dependent on CW not wanting them. They never hand out left over LPGS to lower cabins, so not why it should work the other way. I'd imagine many people (of course not everyone?) don't want ice cream after a 3 course meal and snacks in the lounge, whereas a small magnum goes a long way for someone who is in WT and whose meal was rather small. Magnums are not even very nice

​​
I'm not saying that BA shouldn't offer these to WT or WT+, but on a 9 hour daytime flight, I just think it would be nice to have something served to you in CW in the 5 hour gap between the lunch and the afternoon tea. Also gives the CC a chance to communicate with their customers and check if everything is OK. Yes I know you can use the Club Kitchen, but if someone next to you has got the bed down and you're not good at jumping over their feet, it is awkward to get up unless you really need to. Funnily enough, in my experience on a 4 hour flight to Marrakech, the CC came round a couple of times after the meal to ask if there was anything else we needed. But on a 9 hour one there is this feeling that you're abandoned until tea-time. I will admit that my route is a holiday route from Gatwick (PUJ) and it is rare to get anything close to good service, even though I would imagine it's a popular CC choice as the crew get a two-night stop in an all-inclusive hotel.
ttama and TTmex like this.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 7:36 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by JessicaB
I'm not saying that BA shouldn't offer these to WT or WT+, but on a 9 hour daytime flight, I just think it would be nice to have something served to you in CW in the 5 hour gap between the lunch and the afternoon tea. Also gives the CC a chance to communicate with their customers and check if everything is OK. Yes I know you can use the Club Kitchen, but if someone next to you has got the bed down and you're not good at jumping over their feet, it is awkward to get up unless you really need to. Funnily enough, in my experience on a 4 hour flight to Marrakech, the CC came round a couple of times after the meal to ask if there was anything else we needed. But on a 9 hour one there is this feeling that you're abandoned until tea-time. I will admit that my route is a holiday route from Gatwick (PUJ) and it is rare to get anything close to good service, even though I would imagine it's a popular CC choice as the crew get a two-night stop in an all-inclusive hotel.
Fair play. I've never had such an issue. Last day time flight they let us know icecream was avail. Guess it's a YMMV thing.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 1:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.
Originally Posted by Infinite Possibilities
I’m scheduled to fly on the BA178 (daytime JFK-LHR) service later this month. Does anyone know what I should expect regarding catering in CW?

Given the 8:05 departure, I’m assuming there will be a breakfast, followed by some sort of pre-arrival lunch/dinner/tea. But, I’m curious whether my assumptions are correct so I know whether (and when) to plan to eat before and after the flight.

Thanks I’m advance!
Any word on this? This looks to be on my upcoming itinerary.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 1:34 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

I’m scheduled to fly on the BA178 (daytime JFK-LHR) service later this month. Does anyone know what I should expect regarding catering in CW?

Given the 8:05 departure, I’m assuming there will be a breakfast, followed by some sort of pre-arrival lunch/dinner/tea. But, I’m curious whether my assumptions are correct so I know whether (and when) to plan to eat before and after the flight.

Thanks I’m advance!
Your expectation appears to align with previous reports posted here. See, BA178 (Daylight JFK-LHR) CW Meal Service
icegirl likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2020, 2:12 am

Programs: Varies
Originally Posted by Can I help you
Icecreams on longer flights in CW would be in the Club Kitchen for you to help yourself, many of us come around First and CW with any spare Magnums left over for the WT cabins but this is not standard and won’t happen on every flight.
That's interesting. Thank you for pointing that out. I'm not a frequent CW flyer and the last time I asked the crew if there were ice creams I was told they didn't provide them any more. That was about two years ago. Since then I haven't looked or asked.

I do feel very confused about what's available on board as it seems to change quite often. I'm obviously not spending enough time on FT...
Old Feb 1, 2020, 2:13 am

Programs: Varies
Fair play. I've never had such an issue. Last day time flight they let us know icecream was avail. Guess it's a YMMV thing.
Never happened to me.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 8:07 am

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
I had the vegetable / paneer balti yesterday out of LHR. Was pleasantly surprised.
CTV, esledo and AmaaiZeg like this.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 8:12 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
I feel differently about this one. I'm not sure why it's the opposite of what it should be? It's not offered as part of the CW menu and if another cabin has it, why should CW have it and them not? I fly mainly CW now, but if flying WT or WTP, not sure why getting an ice cream should be dependent on CW not wanting them. They never hand out left over LPGS to lower cabins, so not why it should work the other way. I'd imagine many people (of course not everyone?) don't want ice cream after a 3 course meal and snacks in the lounge, whereas a small magnum goes a long way for someone who is in WT and whose meal was rather small. Magnums are not even very nice

​​
Well it depends on the type of magnum
TTmex likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by BA or bust
My last flight a few days ago was in CW to the Caribbean. Main meal was OK but afternoon tea would not have satisfied a dormouse! Two TINY 'sandwiches' and apart from the usual scones with clotted cream, nothing else. Given that these flights are around 8 hours and lunch was completed less than two hours in, I thought that it was a very poor show.
I think you can also ask for a Tapas plate instead on the sandwiches on the Caribbean flights. I have been offered it once or twice, but each time the crew have advised against so I didn't bother.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 10:47 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Silver

Thanks I’m advance!
Originally Posted by icegirl
Any word on this? This looks to be on my upcoming itinerary.
Originally Posted by Prospero
Your expectation appears to align with previous reports posted here. See, BA178 (Daylight JFK-LHR) CW Meal Service
Yes, and, indeed, this is what I received. I’ve included the menu below. (FWIW, this was BA0178 on 29 January 2020.)

For what it’s worth, I suggest eating breakfast prior to the flight and treating the meal service as either a “brunch” or snack. They seemed to be very accommodating of passengers that just wanted starters and no mains, for example.

I tried the omelet and was quite disappointed. (But, omelettes seem to be hard to do well on planes, so I shouldn’t have expected anything different.) But, I didn’t have time to eat much before hand, and, in that moment, my stomach rebelled at the “mixed grill” description (which was just a function of the hour and my poor sleep the night before, rather than the description, which sounds quite good today!).

Here are some pictures:

Salmon starter

Cheese omelette

Tapas plate

Menu
Old Feb 15, 2020, 5:28 pm

BA 279 LHR-SJC February 2020

February 2020
British Airways Club World
BA 279 London to San Jose, CA

Menu
Starters
Scottish Smoked Salmon
Burford Browns’ hens’ egg, dill crčme fraiche, pumpernickel

Cheddar and spring onion cheesecake
Apple and kohlrabi slaw, red onion marmalade

Spiced butternut squash soup
Parmesan sourdough croutons

Fresh seasonal salad
Artichokes, cherry tomatoes, Kalamata olives, choice of balsamic dressing or pesto dressing

As an alternative to butter, olive oil is available upon request, please ask your cabin crew.

Please choose from our selection
Seared fillet of British Beef
Mustard and parsley mash, baby carrots, thyme jus

Roasted breast of corn-fed chicken
Parmentier potatoes, girolles, tomato jus

Vegetable Balti
Pilau rice, crispy paneer, naan bread

Selection of desserts & cheese
Chocolate salted caramel brownie

Fresh Seasonal fruit

Warm back cherry frangipane
Vanilla crčme fraiche

Cheese board
Orsom Lester Vintage Red
Somerset Camembert
Fourme d’Ambert
Pecans, fig relish, biscuits

Tea
Specialty Coffee
Sourced directly from smallholder farmers in Peru & Honduras and hand-roasted in small batches in East London

Express Option
If you wish to maximize your rest or work time on the flight, please select a starter, dessert and your drink preference and a crew member will deliver this to you.

Light Meal
Starters
Oak-smoked Gressingham duck
Melon, pomegranate and parsley puree

Avocado hummus
Tahini, grilled aubergine pepper salad, kibbet batata, stuffed grape leaves, Salamanca olives

Please choose from our selection
Chettinad chicken
Coriander rice, tadka dai

Seared sumac Scottish salmon
Lemon quinoa, lentil salad, lemon and elderflower dressing

Warm steak sandwich
Horseradish relish, baby spinach, piquillo peppers

Dessert
Lemon and lime slice

Champagne
Canard-Duchčne, Cuvée Léonie Brut NV, Champagne, France
Besserat de Bellefon, Grande Tradition, Rosé Brut NV, Champagne, France

White Wines
TerraPura, Single Vineyard Chardonnay 2017, Casablanca, Chile
Pascal Jolivet, Chateau de Maupas Menetou-Salon 2018, Loire Valley, France

Red Wines
Valcarlos, Fortius Reserva 2010/2015, Navarra, Spain
Lynx, Petite Sirah Zinfandel 2018, California, USA

Port
Graham’s, Six Grapes Reserve Ruby Port NV, Douro Valley, Portugal

2/20
269,273,275,279,281,283,285,287,289 CW
220C041-ROT2
Old Feb 24, 2020, 4:54 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
BA's Breakfast Mixed Grill

Has anyone else experienced the - in my view - abomination described as a Mixed Grill which is currently one of the breakfast offerings on LH flights from the West Coast of the USA? I was on the BA280 from LAX - LHR on Monday 17th February and decided to sample it.

It isn't good. The mixed grill comprised of a small piece of chicken, an anemic sausage, and a single rasher of bacon which was swimming in liquid (presumably the juices from the chicken), along with what I think was scrambled eggs with cheese, plus button mushrooms and a tomato. I didn't take a photo but wish I had.

I am not entirely sure what the fascination is with chicken for breakfast (certainly one fast food chain here in the US is advertising a chicken sandwich for breakfast). I can cope with chicken and waffles, but I wouldn't have a chicken breast for breakfast. I also wouldn't have described what was served as a Mixed Grill.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 2:01 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Just out of BA72 AUH-LHR in Club. Dinner was a light lentils and chicken salad. Very fresh and tasty, light and refreshing, perfect for a light bite at 3 AM before going to bed. Breakfast was a sandwich with egg and salmon. I had not flown Club for three years so it was my first try of the new catering and I am positively impressed (by the bedding too).
Old Mar 5, 2020, 7:12 am

I've not flown for a while... apparently I have these for my options.
  • Seared fillet of British beef, mustard and parsley mash, baby carrots and thyme jus
  • Roasted cornfed chicken breast, parmentier potatoes, girolles and tomato jus
  • Vegetable balti with pilau rice, crispy paneer and naan bread
Anyone know if either of the first two options are any good? I quite like the look of the veg option from the pics above, but my better half definitely wont go for that!
Old Mar 5, 2020, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by RG1X
I've not flown for a while... apparently I have these for my options.
  • Seared fillet of British beef, mustard and parsley mash, baby carrots and thyme jus
  • Roasted cornfed chicken breast, parmentier potatoes, girolles and tomato jus
  • Vegetable balti with pilau rice, crispy paneer and naan bread
Anyone know if either of the first two options are any good? I quite like the look of the veg option from the pics above, but my better half definitely wont go for that!
I usually seem to get that menu on my route. If you're flying out of London all three are OK, pleasant but not gourmet cooking.

If you're flying back to London, I wouldn't recommend the beef or the vegetarian option and would choose the chicken. I generally fly from Dominican Republic and each time I've tried the beef on the return it has been very rubbery, and the vegetarian options have been like a plate of mush. I've had similar experiences on other routes. I think the outstation catering standards vary a lot, so the safest bet is the chicken as it's kind of hard to screw up cooking a chicken breast.
RG1X likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.