Food service in T5 First Lounge

Old Jan 6, 20, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Food service in T5 First Lounge

Hi all

Looking for some advice - I've been using the T5 First Lounge during connections for the last two years. I find the table service in the restaurant area can take forever to order.

Has anyone discovered a good strategy to get in and out fast? I don't mind the wait on longer connections, but the indigestion on shorter stays is hardly worth it.

Thanks!
Old Jan 6, 20, 1:45 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Eat from the help yourself options, or go to a member of staff and order before sitting down?
HIDDY likes this.
Old Jan 6, 20, 1:46 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Yes, eat from the buffet save waiting around!
Old Jan 6, 20, 1:51 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
The buffet options are usually very respectable ..... would stick to those if in a rush
(or try wearing a hi-viz jacket with AC written on it).
Old Jan 6, 20, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

Thanks folks. The buffet is usually pretty good, and I always use it for breakfast.

Sometimes I really fancy the burger though - so I try to sit near the entrance to the kitchens to catch one of the waiting staff. I'm not convinced it's a good strategy though - so curious if anyone has found a better strategy.

I'm back in there on Sunday, but with plenty of time.
Old Jan 6, 20, 1:58 pm

Programs: BAEC - Silver
I just approach someone, ask for what Iíd like and show them where Iím sitting. Didnít realise there was any other way.
Old Jan 6, 20, 1:59 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, *A Gold, HH Silver, IHG Gold Elite, Sixt Gold
I normally chase one of the staffers and ask, usually the wait is ok although TBH most times I find the buffet more intriguing than the made to order options, but that's just personal preference I guess.
Old Jan 6, 20, 2:02 pm
Jed

Programs: BA Gold, AA 1MM lifetime gold, Starwood gold, Marriott Gold Elite
I think you have to flag down someone and ask for the menu item you want. The staff will not proactively come to your table and ask you whether you wish to order anything off the menu- the presumption is that youíll be eating off the buffet.
Old Jan 6, 20, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

I usually try flagging someone down, but they seem under-staffed and when they do appear, they can be hard to catch.
Old Jan 6, 20, 2:10 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Carbon Conscious Travel

Originally Posted by aodh_rua View Post
I usually try flagging someone down, but they seem under-staffed and when they do appear, they can be hard to catch.
If you find yourself waiting more than 5 minutes, just pop your head through the kitchen door, thatís what I do. The food delivery time is variable depending on guest footfall but if the lounge is relatively quite, just ask if they can oblige you with a rush delivery. If the lounge is rammed, still ask if they can rush the order
navylad, aodh_rua and YacozA like this.
Old Jan 6, 20, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Prospero View Post
If you find yourself waiting more than 5 minutes, just pop your head through the kitchen door, thatís what I do. The food delivery time is variable depending on guest footfall but if the lounge is relatively quite, just ask if they can oblige you with a rush delivery. If the lounge is rammed, still ask if they can rush the order
That's super - thanks
Old Jan 6, 20, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador
I almost always walk up to a member of staff and order - it does require some polite assertion. I donít think Iíve ever proactively been approached.
Old Jan 6, 20, 3:29 pm

Programs: BA GGL & LTG, EK Silver, HHonors Lifetime Diamond; Proudly Mucci Free - total nonsense
Originally Posted by Prospero View Post
Curious as to what times the T5 F lounge is relatively quiet, as it is constantly rammed any time I have been there (very difficult to get seats for >1 person, toilets always busy, the eating area always busy). I likely am there during peak times, would be interested to know what the non-peak times are.
Old Jan 6, 20, 5:39 pm

I find the staff overall at the Flounge are experts at avoiding customers. I think I have only ever once been asked proactively if I wanted to order something from the menu, all other times I have to hijack one of them walking by, and they don't make it easy.
Old Jan 6, 20, 5:54 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I've found the staff in T5 First to be generally helpful (and faster than service in Concorde Room). Simply tell them what you'd like and how much time you have, and they deliver. If time is tight, explain that to them and ask which menu items can be served quickly. (The BA burger is one of the fastest and they'll serve it +/- roll, cheese and bacon as one wishes) Service seems to be fastest for those seated at long white tables and slowest for those in remote corners of the lounge. And if you'd like menu items served in a non-standard order or at non-standard time (e.g. chocolate ice cream with toast, marmite and poached eggs), simply explain what you'd like and again, my experience is that they deliver. If you're there sufficiently frequently, over time,they'll even remember your preferences..

Search this Thread
Search Engine: