Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Check in queue policy at ALC - unusual or the norm these days?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Check in queue policy at ALC - unusual or the norm these days?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2020, 1:22 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
As a data point, my experience at TFN the other day was quite different.

Arriving at the Iberia Express check-in desks, there were a number processing Economy and a single one for Business (with a Priority lane leadng to it).

All of the Economy desks had long queues, the Priority lane was empty...

Just as I rocked up, the group at the front of the next (Economy) lane, stepped up to the Business desks to be served. Catching sight of me, the agent sent them back and called me foward.

All done and dusted in under 5 minutes.

Of course, this was Iberia Express in Spain - the contrast with how they treat BA pax is telling !

As an aside, I took a couple of I2 flights on that trip and my experience was at least as good as BA's ET...
Old Jan 7, 2020, 3:28 am
bil

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Platinum
Not all IB ground crews are created equal. In BIO, for example, is common practice for the ET queue agent to call people over from the CE queue.

I’ve seen it multiple times when the processing speed of the queues is very different: for example when in CE there is a passenger with 5 bags and a cello. They typically do it if they processed 3-4 passengers while CE hasn’t moved.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 4:31 am
Original Poster

Thanks all for taking the time to reply with your contributions and opinions, most interesting. I particularly enjoyed Pucci's withering opinion of ALC, which I also share.By the time we were through the check-in queue, non-fast-track security queue and walked all the way to the furthest possible gate, it was time to board. I doubt anyone spends more than 10 minutes in the ALC lounge!

My own belief, regardless of airport, is that if there is only one CE desk and that desk has a queue, then ET check-in should be halted until such time as the CE queue has been dealt with. Some people may scream 'elitist' at me however surely priority check-in is one of the benefits one pays for when buying a CE ticket? It seems grossly unfair that those who have paid for this convenience are then denied it. Furthermore, by not enforcing this rule you are creating an absurd situation whereby some in CE may in fact opt to join the ET check-in queue on the basis it is moving quicker due to HBO passengers, meaning a faster line. What a joke!
Old Jan 7, 2020, 4:43 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Calthrop

I doubt anyone spends more than 10 minutes in the ALC lounge!
I doubt that anyone would want to.
nancypants likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.