Wiki Posts
Search

Any Way to Prevent an Unwanted Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2020, 4:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, Sky Team Silver, Star Alliance Silver
Any Way to Prevent an Unwanted Upgrade?

When I fly Economy on an A380 I always book myself into seat 25D, a.k.a the “Economy Throne”. It’s on the main deck and has an emergency access hatch on the floor that provides the most legroom on any BA airline seat. I’ve noticed that my Gold status often automatically places me in this seat when booking. Legroom is my greatest priority as I am 6’6” tall (2M)

Ive just boarded BA216 and have been upgraded to WT+ Needless to say, I have far less legroom than I would have had in 25D.

The truth is that, at my excessive height, I would greatly prefer ANY exit row seat in WT or 25D on an A380 to any seat in WT+. With my Gold status, though, I am prioritized for an unwanted upgrade. Is there any way to prevent this from happening?
Old Jan 5, 2020, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Buzzz
When I fly Economy on an A380 I always book myself into seat 25D, a.k.a the “Economy Throne”. It’s on the main deck and has an emergency access hatch on the floor that provides the most legroom on any BA airline seat. I’ve noticed that my Gold status often automatically places me in this seat when booking. Legroom is my greatest priority as I am 6’6” tall (2M)

Ive just boarded BA216 and have been upgraded to WT+ Needless to say, I have far less legroom than I would have had in 25D.

The truth is that, at my excessive height, I would greatly prefer ANY exit row seat in WT or 25D on an A380 to any seat in WT+. With my Gold status, though, I am prioritized for an unwanted upgrade. Is there any way to prevent this from happening?
i’d suggest you talk to the crew and ask them to ask the person in 25D if they would like to swap with you. There is no guarantee they’ll say yes but if travelling alone I suspect most people would choose the upgrade.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 4:27 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
I thought attaining BA Gold prevented any upgrades unwanted or not
Old Jan 5, 2020, 4:53 pm

Definitely mention it to the ground staff at check in or at the gate as soon as you find out. They will be able to officially put you back into that seat and upgrade somebody else. I’ve had this a few times at the gate while boarding passengers. Not a problem and our flight management team can sort this with a quick phone call. Please don’t leave this for the crew to deal with onboard.
Crismyth, Joeykins and LTN Phobia like this.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 12:58 am

Programs: BA Silver
Personally would find any WTP seat on a long haul flight an improvement on an exit row WT and I’m 6ft 3. The WTP seat is just a lot more comfortable
Old Jan 8, 2020, 11:52 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Buzzz

Is this preference for 25D on an A380 limited to BA flights or can this strategy be used for other A380s?
Old Jan 8, 2020, 12:15 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite & Lifetime Gold, Heathrow Rewards Premium, Tesco Clubcard
Originally Posted by Graciecatt
Is this preference for 25D on an A380 limited to BA flights or can this strategy be used for other A380s?
It's not BA specific. I've booked myself on the same seat on an A380 with our friends at QR (seat 68D).
Graciecatt likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 1:03 pm

I’m 6.3” and find any seat in WTP pretty comfy. If you’ve not been in wtp before, I would try it as you’ll probably find it okay, plus the improved service should help make the flight more bearable.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 1:10 pm

Programs: BAEC: Silver. Nothing else as TopCashBack trumps all hotel programs
I've twice had upgrades from WTP to CW that I asked politely if I could refuse (both were not a problem as they just give it to someone else). so just ask the gate staff on hearing the beep.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by cupsandsaucers
I've twice had upgrades from WTP to CW that I asked politely if I could refuse (both were not a problem as they just give it to someone else). so just ask the gate staff on hearing the beep.
Purely out of interest, why did you turn down a WTP-CW upgrade?
Cymro and Schwann like this.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 1:29 am
Suspended

I was upgraded from a WTP seat to CW seat on MAD-LHR, something I would normally refuse, But the complimentary refreshments were needed, the 7ft guy opposite me looked very uncomfortable in his CW seat. I do like the WTP seat and find it very comfortable. I’ve not yet experienced the First seat.
cupsandsaucers likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by PAL62V
Purely out of interest, why did you turn down a WTP-CW upgrade?
99% of people would disagree with me (I've had some stick on here for it!) But I just prefer the WTP seat to the (now old) CW seat. I found it easier to sleep in, and more comfortable to sit in, even though it's not flat. And I hated being on the aisle in the old CW seat (both upgrades I turned down were Aisle seats).
Having said that the new CW looks smashing and my flights this year will be in CW if it's the new CW for sure. Very pleased with BA regarding new CW. But yeah thats why I didn't like the old CW and strangely always was more comfortable and slept better in WTP. Probably the smaller cabin size helped too.
PAL62V likes this.

Last edited by cupsandsaucers; Jan 10, 2020 at 7:10 am
Old Jan 10, 2020, 7:24 am

99% of people would disagree with me (I've had some stick on here for it!) But I just prefer the WTP seat to the (now old) CW seat. I found it easier to sleep in, and more comfortable to sit in, even though it's not flat. And I hated being on the aisle in the old CW seat (both upgrades I turned down were Aisle seats).
Having said that the new CW looks smashing and my flights this year will be in CW if it's the new CW for sure. Very pleased with BA regarding new CW. But yeah thats why I didn't like the old CW and strangely always was more comfortable and slept better in WTP. Probably the smaller cabin size helped too.
FWIW I share some of your thinking. I like the WT+ seat and sleep in it fairly well. I get settled and nod off and don't shift until landing usually. Whereas in CW - well, yes, I like the seat, I like the space and the privacy of a window seat but I really dislike the exposed nature of the aisle seats. I don't particularly like the bed though. It's as if in a WT+ seat, my body knows it's not in bed and just gets on with kipping. But in CW, because I'm out flat I feel like I'm in bed, but my body is telling me it's a rather small, hard and somewhat uneven bed and I used to struggle to sleep well in it. I move around a lot in my sleep generally. I've got used to it over the years, but it took me a long time.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 10:50 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
99% of people would disagree with me...
Add me to the list
Old Jan 10, 2020, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by golfmad
Add me to the list
I'm not sure you understand how percentages work.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.