Newbie in CCR. Review

Old Jan 5, 20, 11:46 am
Original Poster

Newbie in CCR. Review

I recently experienced the Concorde Room on my outbound and inbound connections for the first time. I was flying paid F, having never done so before. This is my review in the hope that it is of some use to other first time users.

I would like to think that I started from a position of realism. I read the forum in the lead up to my flight and understood that the CCR was a lounge and not a destination in itself.

On the outbound flight, I had a decent enough breakfast and had pre-booked the spa. I also really enjoyed the truffle nuts which were unusual and were 'something special'.

On the inbound connection, I had a little difficulty gaining entry at the door after security and had to explain that I was inbound first. However, when I went into the lounge, a helpful member of staff suggested to me that I should use the Spa again given the amount of time that I had. This was a great idea as I hadn't appreciated that I was allowed to use the Spa on an inbound connection.

The disappointing aspect of the lounge for me was the food and drink service. There were a couple of points

1. A common feature of both of my times in the lounge was the difficulty that I had in obtaining water. On the inbound flight, whilst in the dining area, I kept asking for water, but it never arrived. The same thing happened at the bar when I ordered a cocktail.
2. In the dining area, the member of staff took my order (salmon, burger, dessert) and then came back a while later saying 'your sea bass is on the way'. I reminded him what my order was. The salmon was nice enough, but the burger and fries arrived stone cold.
3. The service at the bar wasn't in any way customer focused. The staff were chatting amongst themselves, service was slow and they did not know how to make the cocktails on the menu.

These things strike me as the kind of thing that a good manager would be alive to and aren't to the standard of a premium lounge. In saying this, I repeat that I did not have unrealistic expectations - Decent food & drink served promptly was the level of expectation that I had. I wasn't expecting fine dining or being fawned over.
Old Jan 5, 20, 12:24 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Thanks for that insight SMG702, with one post every 6 years feel free to up the workrate slightly! It's disappointing you couldn't get water, they will leave a 1 litre bottle with you on request, and there are two places where you can help yourself (by Concorde Dining and at the door of the Terrace). Still you should have had no problem having that simple request dealt with promptly.
nancypants and becks1 like this.
Old Jan 5, 20, 12:28 pm

I would have thought the inbound F access to CCR would be well known and standard practice by now, so no excuse that you were made to explain your way in.
I don't like slow sloppy service.
GlobalMatt likes this.
Old Jan 5, 20, 12:39 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Blue Peter Badge Holder
Originally Posted by gw76 View Post
I would have thought the inbound F access to CCR would be well known and standard practice by now, so no excuse that you were made to explain your way in.
I don't like slow sloppy service.
quite right although if the OP presents the onward BP only, they arenít to know theyíve arrived in F. Of course it may be that the OP presenter both, but one doesnít like to make assumptions and disparage a member of staff who was doing their job correctly.

no excuse on the water and the burger, I tend to stick to the CCR dedicated options which tend to be better than the burger offering. OP, what did the CSD/CCR Manager day when you raised the issues?

Last edited by navylad; Jan 6, 20 at 12:56 pm
Old Jan 5, 20, 12:59 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by navylad View Post
OP, what did the CSD/CCR Manager day when you raised the issues?
I doubt OP did as I certainly wouldnít, would take more than this to flag a manager in my book.
LCY8737, lukew, Grace B and 5 others like this.
Old Jan 5, 20, 1:11 pm

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by SMG702 View Post
3. The service at the bar wasn't in any way customer focused. The staff were chatting amongst themselves, service was slow and they did not know how to make the cocktails on the menu.
That I find really surprising, as I have always been pretty impressed by the bar service in the CCR. You must have landed on a really "off" day.
Old Jan 5, 20, 1:29 pm

Programs: Executive Club - Gold, HH - Gold, Marriott - Gold
Is there anyway for me to get access to CCR on a first flight from T3?

I know that there are many lounges there including the very highly rated Cathay Lounge but it seems a bit disappointing I can’t use it as far as I know because its a different terminal?
Old Jan 5, 20, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by navylad View Post
quite right although if the OP presents the onward BP only, they arenít to know theyíve arrived in F. Of course it may be that the OP presenter both, but one doesnít like to make assumptions and disparage a member of staff who was doing their job correctly.
I presented my paper inbound F BP and my app onward BP. We had a bit of a discussion, after which the member of staff said that she did not have the systems to check at the door, but rather that "you will need to speak to someone in the lounge to see if you can stay". So that is what I did. The member of staff on the position inside the door was excellent & was the one who suggested the spa.

I didn't complain to a manager. I would have found it hard to articulate what I was trying to say without targeting individuals. I wouldn't have enjoyed that, even if I was right.
IAN-UK, lukew, SW7London and 5 others like this.
Old Jan 5, 20, 1:33 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Spinstorm View Post
Is there anyway for me to get access to CCR on a first flight from T3?

I know that there are many lounges there including the very highly rated Cathay Lounge but it seems a bit disappointing I canít use it as far as I know because its a different terminal?
Afraid not - though as you said, some good options in T3.
Old Jan 5, 20, 2:37 pm

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
I presented my paper inbound F BP and my app onward BP. We had a bit of a discussion, after which the member of staff said that she did not have the systems to check at the door, but rather that "you will need to speak to someone in the lounge to see if you can stay". So that is what I did. The member of staff on the position inside the door was excellent & was the one who suggested the spa.

I didn't complain to a manager. I would have found it hard to articulate what I was trying to say without targeting individuals. I wouldn't have enjoyed that, even if I was right.
It sounds like you had the problem at the podium outside the “magic door” after south security? I had an issue there a few weeks ago when the staff member could not get the system/laptop/whatever there to process the BP properly, it had to be done inside the CCR. If that’s what happened, it’s probably a case of the staff member relying on the system to grant access rather than knowing the rules themselves, which is slightly irritating but a reality of staff rotation In T5. As in most of life, if you visit an establishment regularly you’ll understand the odd minor operational failure and be more forgiving, but for a first timer or infrequent visitor the (reasonable) expectation of a perfect service will be there in BA’s flagship lounge. In my case the podium staff went inside to sort it, sounds like yours didn’t.

As to the service inside, in fairness I rarely, if ever, have a problem getting served at the tables or the bar, but staff remembering the order correctly can be variable. I usually get my water, but whether it’s always the sparkling I’ve ordered is another matter, and the occasional dish ordered is forgotten...overall the service is good in my experience, but delivery (inevitably) sometimes fails to meet the expectation of perfection that BA’s marketing creates.

Last edited by Oaxaca; Jan 5, 20 at 2:45 pm
Old Jan 5, 20, 3:34 pm

I have a question about inbound F haveing access to the ccr. In april I am flying jnb/lhr in F connecting to lhr/iad in J. These are award tickets and there was no F award space on the lhr/iad segment. Do I have access to the ccr?
Old Jan 5, 20, 3:58 pm

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Originally Posted by jmj9905 View Post
I have a question about inbound F haveing access to the ccr. In april I am flying jnb/lhr in F connecting to lhr/iad in J. These are award tickets and there was no F award space on the lhr/iad segment. Do I have access to the ccr?
assuming your LHR-IAD flight is the same day as your flight JNB-LHR arrives, yes you would have CCR access based on the inbound F flight. Keep the JNB-LHR boarding pass just in case there are any issues with access.
Old Jan 5, 20, 3:59 pm

Oaxaca thanks for your speedy reply. That's great news.
Old Jan 5, 20, 5:06 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Blue Peter Badge Holder

Ok sounds rather less dramatic that you initial post said; if using millennium door, one always is directed to the BA agent inside the lounge for the formal eligibility check (occasionally they can do it on the iPad- but most direct inside in my experience which is usually quicker in any case).

Fair enough if you didnít want to approach a manager (onboard the flight or in the lunge), I personally find it strange for people to complain on here having not taken steps to resolve the issue at the time, particularly given the sound advice as to location of help yourself water in the lounge which CWS highlights, but YVMV.

Hopefully, the next time you use the lounge, youíll have a better experience.
Old Jan 5, 20, 6:22 pm

Programs: BA GGL, CCR, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
I’m surprised to hear about the bar service being poor as generally the team are excellent. I would agree, however, that there can be a little too much shop talk in front of customers, ranging from grievances about colleagues to shift patterns to personal relationship issues. Many years ago I worked in a hotel bar and we were always told never to chat in front of guests.....I think it is poor customer service.

The dining experience can be very hit and miss, particularly on the service front. I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve had to repeatedly ask for water, bread, brown sauce, etc. and the number of times it simply hasn’t arrived. Equally, I’ve had umpteen dishes brought to me that I haven’t ordered and countless dishes I have ordered never appear in time. The staff are very willing but there just doesn’t seem to be the right training and operating procedures in place.
GlobalMatt likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: