Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

How much of the BA flight network does the BAEC FlyerTalk community fly in 2020?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 5, 2020, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wilsnunn
The Google sheet is here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...vid=1896029868

Edited 03/02/2020 to include links with Filter View enabled

COPY of Post 1 (from wilsnunn) for if the thread gets too long:

How much of the BA flight network does the BAEC FlyerTalk community fly in 2020?
It was suggested in another thread (see here: Any Gaps in our collective knowledge?) that it would be a fun/interesting task to see how much of the whole BA network of flights we as a community here on FlyerTalk actually fly in a given year.

After a bit of discussion in the afore mentioned thread, we came up with the idea of a Google Sheets document to track flights taken by the community.

If people here are genuinely interested in persuing this task then I am sure that it would lead to some very interesting results.

Rules:
  • You must only edit the Google Sheet when not logged into your own Google account (personal/business etc) so as to remain anonymous to the community (and to me the owner of the Google sheet using a new account that is not being used for anything else)
  • You can only add your flight to the list once you have flown it (incase of IRROPS, change of plans etc)
  • You have to have flown on the flight using its BA flight number
    • This means that if you flew on BA113 but were ticketed as AA6134 for example this should not be included
    • This also means that if you have flown QR1 but it was actually ticketed as BA7001 this should be included
In addition to when the route is first flown in the year, this could give some insight into the most popular routes for the members of the community here, as such there is a counter built into the spreadsheet (a simple COUNTA() function) so even if you are not the first to fly that route and want to participate in this experiment, it would be great to see how popular certain routes are.

The Google sheet is here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...vid=1896029868

Obviously this will not be of interest to everybody but for those who are interested, I hope that this proves to be a fun and interesting experiment.

Note: if you wish to participate but wish to add an extra level of anonymity on top of your FT username, then please feel free to assign yourself another pseudonym and participate that way.

If you have any questions then please let me know.

My post from the afore mentioned thread for reference:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsnunn
I have made myself an anonymous account and have put together a basic version of the Google Sheet.

It is fully editable by users who are not signed in and my account shows as "wilsnunn Flyertalk" so keeps me in the same position as I am here.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...vid=1896029868

I suggest people opening in an "In Private" window thus keeping their personal Google accounts out of it.

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2020, 2:24 pm

Programs: BAEC
Alternatively, we could have another sheet on the file with all the BA aircraft registrations. Then we could simply add ourselves when we’ve been on an aircraft (much like we did for the flights/routes).

By providing a link in the wiki to a website where you can check your registration, it will help those who don’t know. Worse case scenario, people can ask to be added by someone else.

Just my thoughts.
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2020, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by BAeuro
Alternatively, we could have another sheet on the file with all the BA aircraft registrations. Then we could simply add ourselves when we’ve been on an aircraft (much like we did for the flights/routes).

By providing a link in the wiki to a website where you can check your registration, it will help those who don’t know. Worse case scenario, people can ask to be added by someone else.

Just my thoughts.
Makes sense.

By the way, we should also add partner marketed BA operated flights as well starting from next year. This rule seems a bit awkward to bit to me as those people who book codeshares are also technically onboard BA flights. Coming from the example below AA6134 could be added to the list as BA113.

Maybe wilsnunn had a logic that I have no clue about, so apologies if this had a logic.

You have to have flown on the flight using its BA flight number
  • This means that if you flew on BA113 but were ticketed as AA6134 for example this should not be included
Old Dec 15, 2020, 7:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
By the way, we should also add partner marketed BA operated flights as well starting from next year. This rule seems a bit awkward to bit to me as those people who book codeshares are also technically onboard BA flights. Coming from the example below AA6134 could be added to the list as BA113.

Maybe wilsnunn had a logic that I have no clue about, so apologies if this had a logic.

Just to follow up on this, I originally put in that requirement to stop flights being added if they were for example AA marketed on IB operated which also had a BA number too as I felt that could end up getting out of control! If we wish to include also those which are X marketed and BA operated then I see no issue with that.

I also specifically included BA marketed and X operated so that some interesting codeshare flights might show up, and indeed they did!
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2020, 8:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by wilsnunn
Just to follow up on this, I originally put in that requirement to stop flights being added if they were for example AA marketed on IB operated which also had a BA number too as I felt that could end up getting out of control! If we wish to include also those which are X marketed and BA operated then I see no issue with that.

I also specifically included BA marketed and X operated so that some interesting codeshare flights might show up, and indeed they did!
Yes, I was mentioning X marketed but BA operated flights.
Obviously not Y marketed and Z operated flights when both Y and Z are not British Airways.
wilsnunn likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2020, 8:24 pm

Will we be doing this for 2021 then? I don’t mind helping.
Old Dec 26, 2020, 9:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
New spreadsheet for 2021 has already been prepared. There is an issue with the automatic recording of the history but will hopefully fix that later today.

I haven’t gone through and removed the routes which do not exist any more. If anybody wishes to help with that then I am very happy to share the link here to get the ball rolling.

I haven’t added anything about the airframes yet.

I will post a new 2021 thread at the beginning of 2021.
alex67500, BAeuro and ISTFlyer like this.
Old Dec 26, 2020, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BAeuro
Will we be doing this for 2021 then? I don’t mind helping.
I'll be also happy to help.

For the airframes, my idea was to do everything manually at this point. Since we only have less than 100 flights reported per month ( during COVID days ) this could be a temporary solution.
Old Dec 27, 2020, 2:43 pm

I was thinking for the airframe, we should each log it next to our date/username. So:

BA0000 | LHR - LGW | BAeuro (1st Jan) G-XWBA |

If someone is unsure of what aircraft they flew, they can put AIRCRAFT UNKNOWN, and one of us can manually look it up and add it. Then at the end of the year just do a tally for each frame.

Just my 2 cents.
Old Dec 27, 2020, 4:37 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
It'd be easier to put the aircraft in another cell to make data manipulation easier. Maybe we should simply enter a line for each flight (in different cells) and then work it out as a pivot table.
wilsnunn and ISTFlyer like this.
Old Jan 1, 2021, 7:39 am
Original Poster

The 2021 incarnation of this thread is now live here: How much of the BA flight network does the BAEC FlyerTalk community fly in 2021?

I hope that 2021 will be a bit more successful than 2020!

Originally Posted by alex67500
It'd be easier to put the aircraft in another cell to make data manipulation easier. Maybe we should simply enter a line for each flight (in different cells) and then work it out as a pivot table.
I decided against this (at least for the moment) as it could end up with a rather long and unwieldly list of entries which whilst perfect for data manipulation, might not be the easiest to look at (although given the current situation in the UK maybe this is wishful thinking!) so have stuck with the original format but with an extra sheet for the airframes.
alex67500 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.